Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've always wanted to try a pair. But I think you can overdo the carbon thing on a carbon bike. Just like excessive colour co-ordination.

Not sure if I'd like the reduced turning circle of a dual crown

Hot looking piece of kit

Probably going to put new Dorados on my DH rig

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
Oh my, I can't think of a better, more expensive, problem riddled product to ruin a perfectly good bike like the Mojo. No offense, I think Maverik's product always looks good, but it seems like everything they put out are just a mess when it comes to reliability and performance. Anyone with any meat on their bones can watch the Ducs flex side to side when hammering out of the saddle.

Everyone on this forum is so excited about the new Lopes Link stiffening up their frames and making them into freeride machines, etc.... This fork would take the stiffness gained by the LL and transfer the old flex up front to the suspension. Might as well remove your LL and losen the lower pivot bolts to match what you'll end up with up front with this fork. I'd buy a spare bike to have around to boot while you wait to have it serviced frequently.

Sorry, not a fan of Maverik. Which is too bad as they have the right idea, they just don't seem to be able to execute it properly.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
DUC36 is too much travel for the Mojo. I have a DUC32 on mine and can't wait to see the DUC 32 Carbon. Sounds like some damper and seal upgrades are coming with it. It finally has some competition though in the form of the DT EXC150 QR15 so I'll be keeping an eye on reviews of that fork over the next year as well. Until then, I just got an IFP for my DUC32.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
Saw this at Interbike..... Super sexy. At the time the rep said that it was one of two prototypes in existence.
Sexy.. cool.... but awfully pricey for the first generation of this carbon version. Hopefully they have improved upon the flex issues of the DUC32. There are less expensive options out there that can probably out-perform this fork, but none that can match the lust factor.... provided it actually works.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
It will be stiffer due to the carbon chassis and 36 vs 32mm legs. Other forks can match or outperform a well tuned Maverick fork but none can touch it for weight vs travel. The DT Swiss EXC150 is the only 6" fork that weighs even close to the DUC32 and the DUC36 will probably be much lighter and have a shorter Axle-Crown (4.5- 4.7lb, 545mm) than any other 175mm travel fork.

·
DWlink Fanboy
201 Posts
Lelandjt said:
It will be stiffer due to the carbon chassis and 36 vs 32mm legs. Other forks can match or outperform a well tuned Maverick fork but none can touch it for weight vs travel. The DT Swiss EXC150 is the only 6" fork that weighs even close to the DUC32 and the DUC36 will probably be much lighter and have a shorter Axle-Crown (4.5- 4.7lb, 545mm) than any other 175mm travel fork.
I realize that we've slightly hijacked this thread regarding the new Maverick fork, but I have the following questions for those of you running both the DT Swiss EXC 150 as well as the existing DUC 32:

1) How much travel do you actually get out of these forks? (we have seen other folks comment they are not getting 140mm out of the 2008 and 2009 Fox forks, for instnace)
2) Anyone worried about the rider weight limit?? I see that there is a 110kg limit on the DT Swiss. I am going to assume there is no such limit on the Maverick.
3) Any experience with crashing the DT into rocks? I'm not the most graceful rider out there, and every fork I have owned has done some hard kissing into unforgiving rocks and survived...

Finally, we are all concerned about stiffness and torsional rigidity with forks for the purposes of steering accuracy (see pastajet's excellent thru-axle fork comparison between Magura and Manitou where he spends alot of time describing this). Does any manufacturer publish their actual torsional deflection under load? IMHO, they should all agree upon a way to perform this test (with a standardized hub, load amount, and measurement setup). Naaah... they'd never do that, would they? :)

Albert

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I get full travel from my DUC32. As for stiffness, I don't notice it flexing while riding. I'm 170lb and ride it like a DH bike. It has no rider weight limit. As for brushing off rocks, any light fork will have thin sliders (Fox 40) that can be dented by rocks and all forks don't take well to having their stantions scratched. Quit falling on that expensive bike.

P.S. 110kg is by far the highest weight limit I've ever seen. Usually light parts have weight limits around 180lb. I'd say the DT is strong enough for anything short of DH or slopestyle crashes.

·
DWlink Fanboy
201 Posts
Lelandjt said:
I get full travel from my DUC32. As for stiffness, I don't notice it flexing while riding. I'm 170lb and ride it like a DH bike. It has no rider weight limit. As for brushing off rocks, any light fork will have thin sliders (Fox 40) that can be dented by rocks and all forks don't take well to having their stantions scratched. Quit falling on that expensive bike.

P.S. 110kg is by far the highest weight limit I've ever seen. Usually light parts have weight limits around 180lb. I'd say the DT is strong enough for anything short of DH or slopestyle crashes.
Sorry... I'm obviously not as talented as you are. In New England, crashing happens. :D

Thanks for the report on the DUC32 travel. As I stated earlier, the statements from our group stating a fork "flexes alot" or "doesn't flex at all" don't mean anything because there is no industry standard for quantitatively measuring torsional fork flex that is independent of variables like tire type, tire pressure, hub used, etc.

So... it anyone actually running the DT Swiss fork on this forum and able to answer the original questions I posed about it?

Albert

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
slcrockymountainrider said:
Oh my, I can't think of a better, more expensive, problem riddled product to ruin a perfectly good bike like the Mojo. No offense, I think Maverik's product always looks good, but it seems like everything they put out are just a mess when it comes to reliability and performance. Anyone with any meat on their bones can watch the Ducs flex side to side when hammering out of the saddle.
As I have an affinity for weight lifting I am currently running around 255 pounds with gear. So I guess you could say I have some "meat on my bones". Haha. With that being said, I have not noticed any "side to side" flex or really any flex at all from any of my DUCs. Even when I took my Durance out for a day of lift assisted downhilling the DUC never groaned even when hitting 5 or 6' jumps. I was pleasantly surprised!

albertclew said:
2) Anyone worried about the rider weight limit?? I see that there is a 110kg limit on the DT Swiss. I am going to assume there is no such limit on the Maverick.

...Albert
In all my readings I have never come across a max limit. I probably would have broken a DT by now. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.