Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade the wheelset of my ''pretty much'' custom GT Peace 9r Multi, and all light 29er wheelsets out there seem to have some defects/problems. The Spinergy Xyclone Disc 29er wheels make alot of people happy:thumbsup:.... Also the colored spokes look nice, but should I thrust them? How about the hubs?

Any forum thoughts on these?:confused:

Even if I would like it, I am not ready to pay for custom wheels with Chris King hubs...

·
Dirty nerotic bike whore
231 Posts
I went the custom route with a white industries hub and double butted spokes. I would have got them though if I had needed a front wheel too but I am satisfied with the stock front wheel. So if your front wheel is fine then build up a rear wheel, if not seriously consider em they seem to have good reviews.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
They're bulletproof, solid wheels. I had no issues with mine. My issues with them were:

1) the internal rim width is really narrow so anything over a 2.2" tire felt squirmy
2) they're not as light as a set of Stans Arches but felt just as stiff
3) I decided to stay away from proprietary stuff with my current build

They're really good wheels for what they are but if you do damage a spoke/rim you're going to have to wait a week or two for shipping and installation.

My advice would be, get a cheaper, lighter set of Stans wheels and you'll be just as happy;) You can't go wrong with the Xyclones but you can do better.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Well I'm not sure how their customer service is nowadays, but back in the early 2000's when I was still working as a shop warranty manager their customer service was among the worst I've ever dealt with. Spinergy never answered the phone, would take weeks to return messages, and wheels sent in for warranty (yes, if you broke a spoke you had to send the entire wheel into Spinergy) would be gone for months.

So from personal experience I would never recommend a Spinergy product. This is on top of the fact that everything on the wheel is proprietary.

As others have mentioned, get a custom built wheelset or a prefab wheelset that uses standard parts (American Classic or Sun-Ringle for example).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, not a bad idea to maybe go with a pair of Stan's ZTR Arch 29er (their stock wheelsets). They are pretty lite and seem to have a fairly good reputation, and the price is better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I'm not sure how their customer service is nowadays, but back in the early 2000's when I was still working as a shop warranty manager their customer service was among the worst I've ever dealt with. Spinergy never answered the phone, would take weeks to return messages, and wheels sent in for warranty (yes, if you broke a spoke you had to send the entire wheel into Spinergy) would be gone for months.

So from personal experience I would never recommend a Spinergy product. This is on top of the fact that everything on the wheel is proprietary.

As others have mentioned, get a custom built wheelset or a prefab wheelset that uses standard parts (American Classic or Sun-Ringle for example).

For anyone still wondering if this is true... This is NOT the case any more. I've had a set of 26" Xyclones and now a set of Xyclone 29's. Customer service and parts availability has been second to none. They always answer the phone or call you back if you leave a message. I have used their trade in program trading in an old set of Spinergy road wheels and was given a great deal on a new set of Xyclones when I went 29er. Maintenance is a piece of cake. Bearing quality is high. As others have said, the wheels are pretty much indestructible. I'm over 200 lbs. and have never had to true either set. Do not hesitate to buy a pair.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What is TLR? The current xyclone enduro wheel says its 26mm. While the std wheel is 23mm. Is that the outside width or inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
What is TLR? The current xyclone enduro wheel says its 26mm. While the std wheel is 23mm. Is that the outside width or inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is the inside bead width. Buy an extra spoke or two. You can twist them up small and carry them in your pack w/ you. Another great thing about these wheels is that every spoke, front, rear, drive, non-drive, are the same length. One spoke will fix anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts