Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
furker
424 Posts
I'd say the 2022 Scott Spark RC shows where the market is going for 100mm/100mm XC bikes. They grew the travel on the RC from 100/100 to 120/120 on what many consider the quintessential model of XC race bikes. Lots of bike makers have been making 120mm travel "TR" versions of there light XC bikes too, following that same trend. That's the same direction as you were talking about with a 120mm fork and 110mm rear. I think that is the right direction.

I like Horst links for XC. DT Swiss works. I like the Sid front and Rear with FULL XT12 with target 25lb weight at $2500. Or $3300 price point for a SUB24lb carbon bike would be even better for me and worth the extra $$.

If it has to be purple, make it one of those shades so close to a deep blue that you have to look twice to tell it is actually purple. A hard no from me on riding a giant grape.

What do the Vietnam factory closures do to this plan? I saw a story on another bike site and thought of this thread.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,853 Posts
Interesting, when that bike came out it was 27.5 only. I really wished it was 29er, I would have ordered one immediately.

Good to see it is now available as a 29er, and yes I still want one.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I like Horst links for XC. DT Swiss works. I like the Sid front and Rear with FULL XT12 with target 25lb weight at $2500. Or $3300 price point for a SUB24lb carbon bike would be even better for me and worth the extra $$.

If it has to be purple, make it one of those shades so close to a deep blue that you have to look twice to tell it is actually purple. A hard no from me on riding a giant grape.

What do the Vietnam factory closures do to this plan? I saw a story on another bike site and thought of this thread.
Vietnam closures do not effect motobecane, gravity, mango, mercier, or windsor bikes - all models made in Taiwan. I used to get some models from China, but moved everything back to Taiwan years ago.
I think if you notice or care about country of origin; for most bike companies models over $2000 are made in Taiwan. Many companies use China, Cambodia, or Vietnam for bikes that are under $1000 or $1500.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,853 Posts
Vietnam closures do not effect motobecane, gravity, mango, mercier, or windsor bikes - all models made in Taiwan. I used to get some models from China, but moved everything back to Taiwan years ago.
I think if you notice or care about country of origin; for most bike companies models over $2000 are made in Taiwan. Many companies use China, Cambodia, or Vietnam for bikes that are under $1000 or $1500.
Looks to me like some very good quality brands have their carbon frames manufactured in Vietnam... Definitely not bikes under $1500.

Reactions: FrankS29

·
furker
424 Posts
Looks to me like some very good quality brands have their carbon frames manufactured in Vietnam... Definitely not bikes under $1500.

That's the story that made me nervous.

I was toying with buying a nice low mile used bike before covid. Then when covid pricing hit the market I decided I've got a couple of nice bikes to hold me over. So I updated some old bikes to make sure I was downtime-proof and decided to wait it out.

Now lots of low mileage top of the line used bikes (that I used to be able to pick up for half the price of new) are getting resold for full MSRP.

I'm getting very afraid of what is going to happen to the market if manufacturing halts on all those mid to high level bikes you pointed out in that other story. I thought I was brilliant to wait out the market swing and catch it on the rebound, but after that story I'm back to shopping. I just don't know how the whole Vietnam thing is going to impact the greater market for carbon bikes.

121 - 127 of 127 Posts