Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been watching this thread with some interest, and have been shopping bikes direct for quite awhile.
there are always comments on dated geometry which scares many away from a budget bike. i think if you can get some really modern geometry on a short travel FS bike you might have plenty of people in line to buy. I also am a fan of a 115-120mm travel and have been looking around at the offerings for awhile.

as for the weight, i have seen in the past what you can offer at various price points and even if its 28 lb i would be happy at 2k price point.

i see your really curious about color combo's and nobody is really entertaining it, im not sure why, because id love to be able to buy a bike in a color i recommended.

but i will offer a few that have got me "excited" lately.

a green/gold, and it seems to even have some gold metallic flake in the paint. matte would also be great looking

forbiddens new frame cosmic eggplant with orange accent

blue C8 with black accents

and mazda red, with the copper flake in it

·
Formerly of Kent
12,714 Posts
1) Modern-ish geometry. Norco Revolver (120mm), NS Synonym, Intense Sniper T, Transition Spur, etc.

2) Paint jobs that don't suck.

3) Make a bike that has real suspension. All of your current bikes look like something that I'd see at WalMart, or like something from 2008. I would never, ever ride any of them.

Here's a helpful hint: there are open mold versions of the NS Synonym, Scott Spark, etc., out there. Buy a bunch of those, put decent kit on them, sell them. That's exactly what some other brands do.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Make a bike that has real suspension. All of your current bikes look like something that I'd see at WalMart, or like something from 2008. I would never, ever ride any of them.
I think a Horst link is a real suspension system
Also think DW link is a real suspension
Calling either of these designs outdated, I think is unrealistic

myself , I feel a single pivot with low pivot can be nice too

Have no problem selling every HAL I can get made
just thinking if I make a similar FS with 110/120 travel and it’s very little
lots of people will enjoy it

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's your company. Do as you see fit.
Give a finished product to the independent press for review.
Spammer.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,714 Posts
I think a Horst link is a real suspension system
Also think DW link is a real suspension
Calling either of these designs outdated, I think is unrealistic

myself , I feel a single pivot with low pivot can be nice too

Have no problem selling every HAL I can get made
If you don’t want our advice, why are you here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you don’t want our advice, why are you here?
My advice is that bikes should be free. Or at least profit-free. Because what's the point of engaging with the community if you aren't going to contribute to it? /s

OP: I obviously don't have to tell anyone this, but I like saying it all the same. Because it's free.

Advice is worth as much as you pay for it. Never mistake another person representing his interests as that of yours. Your "customers" will strip and ravage your business if they could.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i find it interesting someone with a small shop that designs and sells cheaper bikes comes here to try to make something for us, and comes to ask questions about what we might like, only to find people calling him a spammer.

i wasnt aware that the community could be so toxic on here (its the first time i've seen such useless and abrasive posts on here)

@bikesdirect i sure hope you continue to frequent this forum and build bikes for people like us to enjoy, every bike you sell is one more person out there enjoying the trails!

·
Formerly of Kent
12,714 Posts
i find it interesting someone with a small shop that designs and sells cheaper bikes comes here to try to make something for us, and comes to ask questions about what we might like, only to find people calling him a spammer.

i wasnt aware that the community could be so toxic on here (its the first time i've seen such useless and abrasive posts on here)

@bikesdirect i sure hope you continue to frequent this forum and build bikes for people like us to enjoy, every bike you sell is one more person out there enjoying the trails!
Well, he didn't really ask us what we might like, with any intention of listening; he told us what he liked, and ignored if not outright rejected the opinions from the crowd that he, at least ostensibly, solicited by making this thread on a mountain bike forum in the first place.

·
Registered
368 Posts

Lots of us MTBR members have jobs too, and we don't use the forums to promote our business.
Lots of industry insiders use MTBR, but play by the rules - including paying for advertisement.

·
Cycologist
8,691 Posts
I thought bikesdirect.com was an advertiser on this forum
I think they used to be a sponsor but it doesn't look like they are now. If you are seeing BD ads, I believe they are just through Google Ad Service (or whatever it is), not direct ads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1) Modern-ish geometry. Norco Revolver (120mm), NS Synonym, Intense Sniper T, Transition Spur, etc.

2) Paint jobs that don't suck.

3) Make a bike that has real suspension. All of your current bikes look like something that I'd see at WalMart, or like something from 2008. I would never, ever ride any of them.

Here's a helpful hint: there are open mold versions of the NS Synonym, Scott Spark, etc., out there. Buy a bunch of those, put decent kit on them, sell them. That's exactly what some other brands do.
Sir, I have lurked here for a while and you seem like you know what you are talking about. But your post right here trashes your credibility. Most if not all the full suspension bikes sold on bd over $1500ish have Horst linkages and Rockshox. Are you seriously saying that is not "real" ?

·
Formerly of Kent
12,714 Posts
Sir, I have lurked here for a while and you seem like you know what you are talking about. But your post right here trashes your credibility. Most if not all the full suspension bikes sold on bd over $1500ish have Horst linkages and Rockshox. Are you seriously saying that is not "real" ?
Perhaps I could have phrased that differently. I'm not a fan of Horst link for short travel bikes. I'm also not a fan of the aesthetics of any of the BikesDirect models I've looked at.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Le Duke
Like I said, I have lurked for many years and seen many of your posts and you seem to be knowledgeable. Why are you not a "fan" of short travel Horst bikes and what travel do you consider "short"?

But really, those bikes look nothing alike. The specs are galaxies apart.

Would you rather have a "Faux bar" that is actually a single pivot or an outright single pivot bike instead of a Horst linkage?

I have ridden a "faux bar" and Horst - both 100mm bikes and the Horst BLOWS the pseudo fake bar link away. Horst has much better bump response, feels more linear and no control over braking bumps etc.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Perhaps I could have phrased that differently. I'm not a fan of Horst link for short travel bikes. I'm also not a fan of the aesthetics of any of the BikesDirect models I've looked at.
I understand ; and I can see how someone might prefer a different design for really short travel bikes.
Even myself, I might like single pivot on what used to be short travel (80 or 90mm)
today it seems most think short travel is still over 100 (110 or 120mm)
Horst link or DW link likely what most people would like on a high dollar 110 or 120 bike IMHO
But it’s a judgement call

Aesthetics are so personal; I prefer wilder looking bikes, but sales data shows most people like mild looking
Doing different looks is free. Costs me zero to change aesthetics. Whereas higher level specs costs a lot

I am a big fan of high level spec delivered at low cost. That is much more challenging than changing paint and decals.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Funny, I'm kinda wrestling with something related now. I have a bunch of bikes, couple of long travel, a mid, and a short travel Kona Process 111. My Mid (140/140) is a Ventana El Capitan and is super nice, but a bit more trail geo than Enduro. Going to to do The Whole Enchilada with my 2 sons (who I'm letting ride the long travel) this fall and trying to decide on which of the 2 I'm going to ride. The Kona is really my favorite bike, but hope I don't need more travel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My preferences for one variant.

1. Metal, preferably steel, frame. No carbon anywhere.
2. Adjustable dropouts to accommodate Alfine 8 and Rohloff.
3. Chain length that doesn't grow.
4. Geometry that accomodates PBH = 0.45 x height

101 - 120 of 127 Posts