Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
I wouldn't call a 60-110mm travel bike a niche, but then again, I'm an anachronism.

I do think these days they are rightfully-considered XC-centric bikes that would not be a default, middle-of-the-road, jack-of-all-trades recommendation for new or indecisive riders. As such, I don't really think they are a great fit for Bikes Direct, esp. on the lower-travel end... because their appeal is quite specific, and by the time somebody has such tastes, they are willing to pay more to get specifically what they want, namely higher-end componentry... and maybe also the image/mystique of a storied and/or major-race-team-represented marque. A lower-spec'ed version won't appeal to those folks, and will always represent an also-ran to an entry-level rider whenever these see something comparable with more travel (i.e. they don't fully understand the appeal of the short travel FS bike, only bigger/smaller numbers).

Trek has it right by positioning their 60mm-travel Supercaliber with nothing less than a GX grouppo, and all the way up to a XX1 AXS. Specialized can offer a lower-end with their Epic because the 110mm travel is closer to mainstream.

I for one am a fan of the ~125mm trailbike, but will consider an Epic.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You're the bike manufacturer but I don't see how you can make a full suspension sub $2k bike 27lbs. 31lbs would be a more realistic target for a well speced entry level full suspension bike and even that is cutting some features. .
I will not accept this bike at over 30lbs nor will I cut any features! It needs to be about 27lbs and have all name brand nice level components and under $2000.
And I think I will do a bit higher one (also) with Sid front and Rear ; with FULL XT12 with target 25lb weight - hoping for $2500

bikes like this need to be affordable , light, and FUN

this needs to be a better alternative than light weight hardtails that are sold at over $2500 and with weight over 25 lbs.. But unlike many, I feel 100mm rear is plenty for a super light super fast XC bike (maybe because I am an old guy or maybe because I am used to Florida and Texas which have different type trails than many other places)

any one that’s still reading ; what about colors for fun light weights ? I really love purple myself - but that might not be many peoples‘ first choice LOL

·
Registered
379 Posts
Short travel FS bikes are perfect for SE Michigan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also happy to see Bikesdirect is using an actual Horst linkage not that craptastic fake faux bar that polygon is using that is actually a single pivot.

I used to ride several 100mm bikes since that's what was mainstream and top tech in the '90's. Always wanted more travel back then and would never ride/buy anything that had less than 120mm.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Also happy to see Bikesdirect is using an actual Horst linkage not that craptastic fake faux bar that polygon is using that is actually a single pivot.
Not sure many people still believe in Horst supremacy... even Specialized went flex-stay on the carbon Stumpjumper.

·
Registered
347 Posts
150mm travel Stumjumper Evo. Now look at the shorter travel Stumpjumper Comps.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not sure many people still believe in Horst supremacy... even Specialized went flex-stay on the carbon Stumpjumper.
That move to the flex stay was very purposeful though, it makes the bike more stiff and a little xc like. It gives a good contrast to the Horst link SJ evo and a clear reason to get one or the other.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would not consider flex-stays to be a refutation of the point of the Horst link because the flex of the flex-stay does not occur at the stay junction (i.e. an effective "pivot" at the rear axle), but rather distributed over the lengths of the chainstays and seatstays. The axle path is not entirely that of a pseudo-Horst, and is determined by the distribution of flex between the chainstays and the seatstays, not to mention the exact flex pattern over the length of each.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I would not consider flex-stays to be a refutation of the point of the Horst link because the flex of the flex-stay does not occur at the stay junction (i.e. an effective "pivot" at the rear axle), but rather distributed over the lengths of the chainstays and seatstays. The axle path is not entirely that of a pseudo-Horst, and is determined by the distribution of flex between the chainstays and the seatstays, not to mention the exact flex pattern over the length of each.
It's designed to flex in the seatstay, not the chainstay:

"FlexStay
Through precise shaping of the seatstays and chainstays, along with utilization of appropriate composites, we created a flex zone along the seatstay, above the brake mount, that flexes to allow suspension travel without any rear end pivot hardware."

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought the subject of this thread was "short travel".

At any rate, the bike @phantoj linked is 130mm of travel. This FlexStay sounds like marketing BS. I would not trust it especially at 130mm.

Plus, flexing at the seat stay makes it even worse than the polygon craptastic faux bar link aka single pivot LOL

"FlexStay
Through precise shaping of the seatstays and chainstays, along with utilization of appropriate composites, we created a flex zone along the seatstay, above the brake mount, that flexes to allow suspension travel without any rear end pivot hardware."

·
Registered
10 Posts
I saw what a decent full suspension would cost new at a LBS and instead bought the highest trim of a 1998 XC FS in 'small' travel (100mm/125mm) used. Even replacing literally every component it will be $1k cheaper than a current 'trail' or XC bike, AND it will have all my hand picked ergo and component preferences, so I won't have to drop another $500 to make it 'mine'. Front mullet + an angle headset and modern geometry is within reach as well.

Only problem is some components are hard to find now, like hydraulic brakes and decent 27.5 Fox forks.
1998? What make/model? What fork is currently on it?

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I'm building up a Banshee Phantom V3

It's got 115mm travel out back, so I guess it fits in the short travel trail bike category.

It accepts 120-140mm fork.

I'm going 140mm.

Making it, probably not in the short trail bike family.

A burly wee ripper by all acounts.

Be built up and ready to rip in a couple of weeks.

Can't wait!!

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
64 Posts
1998? What make/model? What fork is currently on it?
Don’t want to take this thread off the topic. . . Here’s my build . . . I guess to OP question there is a market for a medium travel XC+ style but the compromises of The - quality - cost - travel triangle are hard to get right. Like think about the price $1499. and you have to fit 30% profit. So what quality parts can you put together for $1k. $200 frame, $500 suspension front and back. $250 rims. $80 tires $100 hubs, $300 drivetrain. $100 brakes. $30 saddle and post. $200 for the bearings headsets bottom brackets cabling assembly etc. that’s $1750 wholesale -> $2300 retail. It’s really hard to do.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
. I guess to OP question there is a market for a medium travel XC+ style but the compromises of The - quality - cost - travel triangle are hard to get right. Like think about the price $1499. and you have to fit 30% profit. So what quality parts can you put together for $1k. $200 frame, $500 suspension front and back. $250 rims. $80 tires $100 hubs, $300 drivetrain. $100 brakes. $30 saddle and post. $200 for the bearings headsets bottom brackets cabling assembly etc. that’s $1750 wholesale -> $2300 retail. It’s really hard to do.
first, I really appreciate your comment and the comments of all posters.
Based on the trend of these comments I am changing this project from 100/110 to 110/120
I do not have the heart to add more weight and reduce responsiveness by chasing longer and longer XC travel
(Actually my personal choice for my use would be 100/100 - with Sid in front and rear)

second, I understand your math well, and the industry costs and margins very well.
But I am unwilling to give upon my goals of super high grade parts, and low weight and affordable pricing
SO I will stick to Horst link, Sid rear, Reba front, DTSwiss wheels, WCS cockpit, maxxis Exo/TR tires and choice of full Deore 12 or full sram NX eagle at under $2000

last, I am so disappointed with people‘s choices of colors on bikes and cars. There is so much black, white, silver or the very edgy Dark Gray (LOL) - look at cars when drive around white, black, silver, gray everywhere -+ where are the dodges in plum crazy when you need them?
I go to biker week in Daytona every year, and of course there are lots of black harleys — BUT there are massive amounts of fun colors and custom paint. That is one of the main reasons i go, to see the look of all the custom motorcycles
I wish more cyclists would opt for colors
myself, I LOVE PURPLE

·
Registered
10 Posts
Carbon versions of the 100mm Epic and 110 Epic Evo also use the flex stay.
Great- still a gimmick and to me the fact they use it on the longest travel means the Horst is better for reliability
Also, flex stays are going to be super expensive to replace. Everyone riding off-road is going to crash their bike. I nor anyone should trust a carbon suspension part that has been crashed, nicked, damaged etc.

41 - 60 of 108 Posts