Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I like the idea of the "Downcountry" bike. 120 out back and 120/130 front...with weight around 26ish pounds. With ~66 HTA. I'm on a V1 Following...it feels real good for where I ride and my riding abilities. If I was to get a replacement...I wouldn't deviate too far from the geometry. It could be a few pounds lighter though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's funny how what we know refer to as short travel once belonged firmly in the DH camp. Likewise with modern xc geo.
In 97 I rode a GT LTS with the OG Bomber Z1 and Super Deluxe coil shock. 4 glorious inches F/R.
That bike got ridden so hard I broke the mounting hardware to the shock and the shock itself.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,222 Posts
It'll be my next bike purchase, I'm up to date on hardtail and will be on long travel as soon as my frame arrives.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,222 Posts
It's funny how what we know refer to as short travel once belonged firmly in the DH camp. Likewise with modern xc geo.
In 97 I rode a GT LTS with the OG Bomber Z1 and Super Deluxe coil shock. 4 glorious inches F/R.
That bike got ridden so hard I broke the mounting hardware to the shock and the shock itself.
My buddy and I were having this conversation right after our last ride. Things are totally better now.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My idea for this type of bike is
horst link style 100mm rear; reba 110 front
deore 12 or NX eagle
DT Swiss or WTB tubeless
under 27lbs and $2000

has to be light and affordable IMHO
that way it can be a primary bike for some and an extra play bike for others

about 12 or 15 years ago I did a HT called FLY9357
which weighed 9357grams and sold for $999
many people liked it
I am thinking it’s time for something like that but FS

·
Registered
88 Posts
deore 12 or NX eagle
DT Swiss or WTB tubeless
under 27lbs and $2000

many people liked it
I like your thoughts. But KB's words comes to mind. "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two".

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank You
I like that saying ; but in my world it’s
“strong, light, cheap, profitable. Pick three”

on three categories I forego 4th item; for personal entertainment
SL, Ti, and 853
I can applaud that way of thinking. :D

But back to your proposed bike.

I'd go Big Blue over Big Red any day. Shifting performance is WAY better. Plus running costs are lower.
Framewise, singlepivot for reliability because XC riders ride their sh*t till it breaks and can't wrench for sh*t(gross generalization, butI think you get where I'm going).
Suspensionwise I think SR Suntour might be worth checking out. One of the reasons is their forks do not require specialized tools to service to the same extent RS and FOX do.
DT Wheels are more than good enough, but you may be able to score a better deal on a complete WTB WHeelset/tyre package. I have no experience with WTB wheels so can't speak there.
Brakewise. New DEORE rocks.
Weightwise you shouldn't be too far off with my chosen build options.

Just my two cents.

Drivetrain can be subbed for Microshift's Advent X in order to free up budget elsewhere.
Frame, Wheelset, Suspension, Brakes, Cockpit and contact points and lastly running gear is where I put money on my personal rides. In that specific priority order.

·
Registered
347 Posts
deore 12 or NX eagle
DT Swiss or WTB tubeless
under 27lbs and $2000

many people liked it
You're the bike manufacturer but I don't see how you can make a full suspension sub $2k bike 27lbs. 31lbs would be a more realistic target for a well speced entry level full suspension bike and even that is cutting some features. No dropper. Narrow rims and lightly cased tires. Advent X drivetrain with the aluminum cassette would save you a lot of weight over the Deore stuff. Cranks at that level will be heavy. No dropper. I personally wouldn't spec it to be light weight I would want it to be tough and dependable. I think Polygon a good job speccing out their Siskiu D series bikes in this price point. If you took their $1699 D7 put a slightly longer travel boost spaced fork to match the boost rear end you would have a great spec for a entry level bike. Not crazy slack but not too upright. Good dependable components. It's a sub $2k bike you could give to anyone and they could run it on most any trail but it's about 34-35lbs. If $2k is your price point there is a bit of budget to upgrade some of the big weight components on the Siskiu. Recon isn't light weight. Those wheels are heavy and could lose 200-300 grams easily if slightly up-specced. Deore cranks are heavy. Deore cassette is heavy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I like the idea of the "Downcountry" bike. 120 out back and 120/130 front...with weight around 26ish pounds. With ~66 HTA. I'm on a V1 Following...it feels real good for where I ride and my riding abilities. If I was to get a replacement...I wouldn't deviate too far from the geometry. It could be a few pounds lighter though.
My friend's Giant Trance 29 is 130 front/115 rear with a 66.5 HA and it's marketed as a 'trail' bike. My Oiz TR is 120/120 with a 68 HA and would i guess fall into the 'down-country' category. The new Scott Spark is 120/120 with a 67.2 HA and it's sold as a World Cup XC bike!

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
deore 12 or NX eagle
DT Swiss or WTB tubeless
under 27lbs and $2000

many people liked it

Seems like that ~27 pound goal would be quite the trick. Similar offerings (with slightly more travel) from trek, specialized, santa cruz, etc. are at least twice that cost for similar weights and all have lighter carbon frames. I'm wondering what compromises would have to be made to reach that goal.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Drivetrain can be subbed for Microshift's Advent X in order to free up budget elsewhere.
Frame, Wheelset, Suspension, Brakes, Cockpit and contact points and lastly running gear is where I put money on my personal rides. In that specific priority order.
Is this being speced on any bikes right now? I'm building up a bike right now that'll be using that drivetrain.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is this being speced on any bikes right now? I'm building up a bike right now that'll be using that drivetrain.
Cannondale uses it that I know of. Plus a couple of other brands I can't for the life of me remember right now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got it on a couple of bikes and it's great. A friend got his daughter the new Giant STP 24 a few weeks ago and although the spec sheet says Shimano Revoshift and Altus it actually came fitted with Micoshift's 8 speed Acolyte, which is a nice bonus.

If you're familiar with the YouTube channel Hard Tail Party, Advent X is his favourite drivetrain. He just built up a $3000 Ti frameset with it...

21 - 40 of 108 Posts