Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have an interchangeable set of wheels, such that the disk brakes won't need to be adjusted each time the wheels are swapped?

I am thinking it might be nice to have a second set of cheap wheels with slicks for weekday exercise rides on a nearby paved trail, and save the knobbies for the weekends in the dirt. But I dunno if it is easy to get the disks to be in the exact same place from one wheel to the next.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Yes

I set this up perhaps I was lucky.

Shimano hub and a Mavic hub.

The mavic has no adjustment but the shimano can be moved a bit with the cone adjustment. This does change the chain line.

I did nothing it just fit. However I do have to maintain the R Der sometimes on a change.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get identical hubs

If you have wheels built with the same hubs you have now, the difference will be so small you won't notice. Even wheels of the same manufacturer should be close; I have two sets of dics wheels, one with XT hubs and one with Deore hubs, and thy swap out easily.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
It really varies on the combo you choose, but like others say if you start with the same hubs/rotors you're well on your way to painless interchange, but no guarantees on the other hand. If you have hydraulic brakes it's a bigger pain to accommodate different wheelsets than say an Avid mechanical...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I got some $90 wheels from Jenson that have the same hub as my existing wheels. Got another set of the exact same Avid disks $30 each! (ouch) and the exact same Shimano cassete. It all went together easily and works! Now I can do my Jeckel/Hyde conversion bettween weekend dirt and weekday on-the-pavement training rides :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.