Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I didn't see a sunglass or an apparel forum. Up until they were recently lost/stolen I was wearing Oakley M frames and switching between red iridium. persimmon and clear lenses depending. Now I need new shades. I work for an outdoor retailer so I can get a great discount on a couple different brands but we don't sell Oakleys and I can't afford full retail. I'm trying to decide between some shades with interchangable lenses or the kind that supposedly adjust according to light. From what I've seen of the latter they take a while to adjust and never get as dark as I would like for bright days. I live in the northeast and tend to be mostly under canopy except for the occassional field. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
I recently picked a set of Tifosi with interchangeable lenses.... I mostly went with interchangeables, since I wanted to have a completely clear lens for night riding.... otherwise I think I might have taken the photochromatic ones

·
Registered
844 Posts
I've been very happy with my Tifosi's as well. I've never been a fan of interchangeables though, seems like my riding conditions constantly change. I'm often up with the chickens starting my ride in the dark, or ride well into evening. Even for my 'all sunlight' rides I find my local trails have variable light conditions ranging from full exposure to redwood canopies that can make it feel almost like night time.

I found the "Light Night" Fototec frame from Tifosi suits me perfectly. It has a really good tint range, and reaction time is pretty quick. They don't go as dark as a full smoke lens, but I've found at their darkest tint they are perfectly adequate in full sun.

Here's link, give the different Fototec options a mouse over and you can see how they change. Light Night is the perfect all-around single lens for my riding. YMMV.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I have a set of Tifosi Dolomites with the photochromatic lenses.
They do shade enough on bright days.

The problem that I have with them is that they don't adjust fast enough. Austin has a lot of sun, and lots of shade on the backcountry trails. In and out of the shade is tough, as they really don't adjust quickly enough. I was going to buy some extra lenses from Tifosi to replace these, but damn if they don't cost as much as a new set of glasses for the 3-pack.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I tried several brands of photo-chromatic type glasses and they were too slow to change. Then I got the Oakley's... they might be the ugliest glasses I've ever worn but the are the best cycling glasses I have ever owned. They transition very quickly, I've never thought they're too dark and we have lots of open then back into dark shaded areas around here. The tint is pretty light, even a full dark, so I think that helps too.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
Oakley....

I just returned an old pair of e-wires for fix-up.
Was infomed that they are out of stock on all parts, so they will take the old glasses back and as a Customer Appreciation, will give me 30% off a new purchase.

I ended up getting Flack-Jackets with VR 50 Transition lenses for MTB and a set of Black Iridium Polarized for Canoe Trip duty

So far VERY happy with them. Especially the new permanent coating that helps sweat etc bead up and roll off - much better than before. Now I can clear most sweat with a head-shake not a stop and clean the glasses.

Don't know if you have anything to send them for a cheaper replacement. Sorry no help on anything other than Oakley and Serengeti.

Good Luck

micheal

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been using Optic Nerve's transition style lenses all season. I guess they take 10 seconds or something to change, I've never noticed it. Best glasses I've ever had for the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.