Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
A little about me, I'm 5'9" 205lbs, been riding MTBs for over 30yrs, and many years ago used to race expert DH. I'm an aggressive DH rider and I've always thought climbing was a necessary evil to mountain bike riding, this is just my opinion.

This is my 1st ebike, I test rode a 2017 Levo about 2yrs ago. I don't have much to base my opinions on about ebikes, except that these class 1 ebikes are so much fun!

Climbing
Who are we kidding, it has a motor, pick a mode (ECO, Trail or Boost) and slay just about any climb in your way! What I find and I'm sure most can agree when you've ridden an ebike for some time is you keep your same cadence as before, you just go faster. Since you keep the same cadence, your heart rate elevates to almost the same level as non-assist bike. Caution, boost will eat up your battery quickly and is probably the worst mode to pick when going up single track. Way too much power! Compared to my 2017 Trek Fuel, ECO is maybe 2 to 3mph faster climbing, Trail mode 3 to 4mph faster and boost 5 to 8mph faster. Only place you can do 20mph climbs is flat or slight incline, if someone tells you different, then they have some serious leg strength and lung power!
ECO is the mode I choose when riding with fellow MTB riders. ECO mode is very smooth engagement and predictable. ECO is slightly stronger than most riders. Also choose this mode for all day adventures! The bike climbs well in ECO, but on steep climbs, I would appreciate lower gearing. The big 27.5 x 2.8 DHRII just grips and claws its way up just about anything.
When riding by myself, I usually pick Trail mode. Trail mode is like ECO, very smooth and natural feel to it. Trail mode has enough power, that the gearing feels pretty good for most climbs.
Boost as I said earlier is way too powerful for single track. Boost is not as smooth, kind of abrupt and stays on slightly longer after you stop pedaling.
For this Shimano motor, I personally believe the sweet spot is between 75 to 90 cadence and this motor feels very natural in ECO & Trail.

Downhill
This bike comes equipped with high end suspension on both end (Front E36 160mm / Rear Float DPX2 155mm). The Tazer has modern geometry (HTA 64.6, STA 75.4, BB Height 347mm, CS 450mm) and fairly short CS considering there's a motor in there. I believe every bike has its sweet spot to where you ride/balance on the bike. This bike likes to be slightly behind center and when corning, move to the center, slightly weigh the front and it just rails. The Tazer just kills the DH, confidence inspiring for just about any trails I've come across so far, from groomed trails to steep techy stuff to big jumps or drops, the Tazer just takes it all in stride. I do believe the weight 48lbs, helps to smooth out the trails and cushion the landing. I've not noticed the weight when riding this bike, only when I have to pick it up. My Strava times for the Downhill sections are either the same or slightly faster compared to my 2017 Trek Fuel.
I'll update this thread with the components and of course any upgrades I do.

Note: components crossed through indicates upgrade
Frame: Tazer, Carbon Fiber, large, 155mm travel, 64.9 HTA
Motor: Shimano Steps E8000 20mph 250W / ECO / Trail / Boost
Fork: FOX FACTORY E-BIKE 36 FLOAT, Kashima, 160 mm, FIT GRIP2, 15QRx110 BOOST, 51mm Offset
Shock: FOX FACTORY FLOAT DPX2, Trunnion Mount, EVOL, 3-Position Lever 185x55mm
Crank: Shimano XT 165mm, 34T
Pedals: Shimano XT trail
Shifter: 11-speed XT DI2 11 speed
Derailleur: Shimano XT DI2 11 speed
Cassette: Shimano 11-speed XT Cassette 11-42
Chain: Shimano E-bike, 11 speed
Chain Guide: E-Thirteen Chain Guide
Saddle: Fabric Scoop Radius Elite w/ Cr-Mo Rails
Seat post: Fox Factory Series Transfer, 31.6mm, 150mm travel w/Raceface Lever
Handlebar: Niner Carbon 31.8 - 760mm
Stem: Renthal 35mm
Brakeset: Shimano XT 4-Piston Hydraulic Disc, 203mm Front and Rear
Headset: Cane Creek 40 Series, ZS44/EC49.40
Grips: Lock-On Revgrips
Wheelset: Front: 29" Bontrager Carbon Proline 30mm inner width / Rear 27.5" Bontrager Carbon Proline 40mm inner width Tubeless
Tires: Front: 29X2.60, MINION DHR II, FOLDABLE, 120TPI, 3CMAXX TERRA/EXO+/TR
Rear: 27.5X2.8, MINION DHR II, FOLDABLE, 120TPI, 3CMAXX TERRA/EXO+/TR
Travel (front/rear): 160mm / 155mm
Stock Build Weight (no pedals): 47lbs 7oz 47lbs with pedals and stock tubed rear wheel

Geometry
I'm 5'9" Large frame
475mm reach / BB Height 347mm / BB drop 12mm / HTA 64.9 / STA 75.4
Chainstay length 450mm / Wheelbase 1260mm / Fork Trail 118.88mm / Fork offset 51mm

Attachments

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
Nice bike for sure. Just curious at 5’9” you chose a large? I’m guessing on the fence med/large? Also, what’s the price point?

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sharp looking bike!

Nice write-up, thanks.

(just need some pics of that beast in the wild ;))
To be honest, the pictures really turned me off. But when I demo'd it for 3 days, it grew on me. Intense has just announced the Black/Grey version and if I had to do it all over again, that's the color choice I'd take.

Nice bike for sure. Just curious at 5'9" you chose a large? I'm guessing on the fence med/large? Also, what's the price point?
I rode both med and large and both sizes felt good. The sizing chart has 5'9" for both med and large. My strength is turning, so I chose to get a bike that's more stable at speed. Intense, right now only has one build and one price point $7,590. The bike shop gave me a good discount and I upgraded a few things right off the bat, like carbon wheels and DI2 XT shifting.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Absolutely brilliant insight.

The bike isn’t pretty but I’ll get one ASAP!!!

A lot of what you say is about the Shimano motor and is spot-on!!!

Expand more on the spec and handling when you have the chance. Good value?

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
To be honest, the pictures really turned me off. But when I demo'd it for 3 days, it grew on me. Intense has just announced the Black/Grey version and if I had to do it all over again, that's the color choice I'd take.

I rode both med and large and both sizes felt good. The sizing chart has 5'9" for both med and large. My strength is turning, so I chose to get a bike that's more stable at speed. Intense, right now only has one build and one price point $7,590. The bike shop gave me a good discount and I upgraded a few things right off the bat, like carbon wheels and DI2 XT shifting.
I've ran di2 for 3-4yrs now on road, mtb etc and absolutely love it. No adjustments, cable frays/stretch. Crisp shifting. I haven't experienced any downside. You?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Thanks for this great review. The Tazer is now on my list for my next ebike.

A question: How easy is it to remove the battery? I store my bikes in an unheated building and in winter I need to remove the battery to charge it. (It is not good to charge an ebike battery at cold temperatures (or hot)).

·
Registered
523 Posts
I also just purchased a Tazer and love it. I dont think i could write a better review. All of your comments are spot on. I have not changed to the Shimano DI2 stuff and worry about wearing out the chain and cassette prematurely as it seems to shift very abruptly. It is difficult to shift without it doing it while the motor is delivering power. I heard that the DI2 stuff is integrated into the motor so that it tells the motor to decrease power when each shift occurs. Is that true?
As with others, I too wasn't too stoked on the look of the tazer but it has also grown on me and appreciate that I can run a common, stock Shimano battery at a much lower price than many of the competitors out there. It is also very easy to change out compared to many other designs. It would be nice to be more stealthy out on the trail and keep the fact that I am on a ebike a little more discrete but oh well.
My main issue is that I am very worried that I will not want to get back on my analog bike(Intense Primer) anymore. When I go into my garage to pick a bike, I have a hard time saying no to the Tazer.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
I'm really stoked about this review. From our new e-moderator too.

And you know what, this would not have been possible a month ago as other would have attacked him for writing this. Now we have a good place to share information.

Throw him some 'rep' love if you like the content. And follow the example he set and share some insights.

Blue Colorfulness Azure Parallel Screenshot

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Great review. I have had mine for a couple of months now. At 5' 10" I went with the medium and couldn't be happier with my choice. PNW tight switchbacks, steep up down transitions, fast flowing trails with long climbs to access all.
I set mine up mostly the same with the following changes.

Frame: Tazer, Carbon Fiber,Medium, 155mm travel, 64.9 HTA
Fork: FOX FACTORY Standard 36 FLOAT, Kashima, 170 mm, FIT GRIP2, 15QRx110 BOOST, 51mm Offset
Crank: Shimano XT 175mm, 34T
Pedals: Shimano XTR trail
Shifter: E7000 11 speed, E7000 Mode
Derailleur: Shimano XTR DI2 11 speed
Cassette: Shimano 11-speed XTR Cassette 11-40 w/ Wolf Tooth 45 cog
Saddle: WTB Silverado w/ Ti Rails
Seat post: Fox Factory Series Transfer, 31.6mm, 150mm travel w/Wolf Tooth I-Spec Lever
Handlebar: Shimano Pro Tharsis Trail Carbon Di2 31.8 20mmX 800mm
Stem: Shimano Pro Koryak Di2 31.8 400mmx 0 Degree
Grips: ODI Ruffians
Wheelset: Front DT H1700 28X30mm, Rear DT H1700 27.5X35mm Stock
Tires: Front: 29X2.60, MINION DHF II, FOLDABLE, 120TPI, 3CMAXX TERRA/EXO/TR
Tubes: Cush-Core inserts
Travel (front/rear): 170mm / 155mm
Build Weight W/ Pedal: 49.64 pounds

Would like to see other peoples builds and thoughts.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A question: How easy is it to remove the battery? I store my bikes in an unheated building and in winter I need to remove the battery to charge it. (It is not good to charge an ebike battery at cold temperatures (or hot)).
Super easy, less than 10sec as long as you have the key!

I have not changed to the Shimano DI2 stuff and worry about wearing out the chain and cassette prematurely as it seems to shift very abruptly. It is difficult to shift without it doing it while the motor is delivering power. I heard that the DI2 stuff is integrated into the motor so that it tells the motor to decrease power when each shift occurs. Is that true?

My main issue is that I am very worried that I will not want to get back on my analog bike(Intense Primer) anymore. When I go into my garage to pick a bike, I have a hard time saying no to the Tazer.
I heard DI2 was supposed to let off the power, but if it does, I can't feel it. DI2 unfortunately is not a DIY install as it requires a call to Shimano and the Shimano tech links into the bike shop's computer and the handshake between esteps 8000 motor and DI2 is completed. Without this, DI2 will not work. Majority of the time it shifts smoothly into gear, but when it does clunk, it usually shifting into a harder gear. I've not done any adjustments to the DI2 since it was installed and I've had 3 different wheels and upgraded to XT cassette. I think this afternoon, I'll Google DI2 adjustment, perform and see if it's better tomorrow.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great review. I have had mine for a couple of months now. At 5' 10" I went with the medium and couldn't be happier with my choice. PNW tight switchbacks, steep up down transitions, fast flowing trails with long climbs to access all.
I set mine up mostly the same with the following changes.

Frame: Tazer, Carbon Fiber,Medium, 155mm travel, 64.9 HTA
Fork: FOX FACTORY Standard 36 FLOAT, Kashima, 170 mm, FIT GRIP2, 15QRx110 BOOST, 51mm Offset
Crank: Shimano XT 175mm, 34T
Pedals: Shimano XTR trail
Shifter: E7000 11 speed, E7000 Mode
Derailleur: Shimano XTR DI2 11 speed
Cassette: Shimano 11-speed XTR Cassette 11-40 w/ Wolf Tooth 45 cog
Saddle: WTB Silverado w/ Ti Rails
Seat post: Fox Factory Series Transfer, 31.6mm, 150mm travel w/Wolf Tooth I-Spec Lever
Handlebar: Shimano Pro Tharsis Trail Carbon Di2 31.8 20mmX 800mm
Stem: Shimano Pro Koryak Di2 31.8 400mmx 0 Degree
Grips: ODI Ruffians
Wheelset: Front DT H1700 28X30mm, Rear DT H1700 27.5X35mm Stock
Tires: Front: 29X2.60, MINION DHF II, FOLDABLE, 120TPI, 3CMAXX TERRA/EXO/TR
Tubes: Cush-Core inserts
Travel (front/rear): 160mm / 155mm
Build Weight W/ Pedal: 49.64 pounds

Would like to see other peoples builds and thoughts.
Nice build
How's the 170mm fork feeling? Should have slacked it out somewhere around 64.5 degrees, but I bet the shorter fork offset helps?
And you went with longer cranks 170mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
It is a little harder to keep the front end down on real steep punchy climbs. I have to sit on the nose of the seat. But the feel of the fork is awesome.
On the crank arm length it is just what I am use to. I might go back to the 165 mm and see how I like it.
I never rode the bike stock. Set it up this way from the beginning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I demo'd some Tazers with with my teenage kids last week and thought it was fantastic.
I've been telling myself that I'd wait until an Ebike was a necessity for me due to age or injury but after riding one, I WILL have one in my garage before long.

After 40 years of mnt bikes and dirt bikes the two have come together. I really liked that I could carry speed uphill over obstacles that I would have normally gassed my legs or just too technical. What a blast.

Not only did it climb well, it handled well on the downhills too.

I tried all 3 power modes and even rode it uphill with the power off and surprisingly it was not as bad as I expected.

I used trail mode most often which keeps you going at a pretty good speed when climbing.

Boost mode was damn near too much especially on the tight stuff (almost scary)

Eco mode was sufficient on climbs but Trail mode made things fun.

My big concern is, will these be allowed on local trails or are will they be banned, leaving me nowhere to ride it in the SF Bay Area?

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I demo'd some Tazers with with my teenage kids last week and thought it was fantastic.
I've been telling myself that I'd wait until an Ebike was a necessity for me due to age or injury but after riding one, I WILL have one in my garage before long.

After 40 years of mnt bikes and dirt bikes the two have come together. I really liked that I could carry speed uphill over obstacles that I would have normally gassed my legs or just too technical. What a blast.

Not only did it climb well, it handled well on the downhills too.

I tried all 3 power modes and even rode it uphill with the power off and surprisingly it was not as bad as I expected.

I used trail mode most often which keeps you going at a pretty good speed when climbing.

Boost mode was damn near too much especially on the tight stuff (almost scary)

Eco mode was sufficient on climbs but Trail mode made things fun.

My big concern is, will these be allowed on local trails or are will they be banned, leaving me nowhere to ride it in the SF Bay Area?
Tell me about it! Jaxs bike shop let me have a 3 day demo & that was it, had to have one. My brother won't even try it, because he knows the same will happen.

Ask your local retailer about places near you and then double check the areas are open. Sometimes they want to make a sale and the areas are not truly legal, but not enforcing the no ebike policy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got a Specialized Evo in December of last year and I have loved the bike. A buddy of mine got a Tazer right around the same timeframe and now I don't like riding with him because he's too fast on it. Now I'm REALLY looking into getting a Tazer as well, especially because they have the low key black/grey option instead of the yellow. The build seems very solid for the price considering the Levo at the similar price point has semi-budget suspension and components.
Here's a question for you guys, the 350 wheel has the star ratchet internals, have any of you upgraded the engagement to the 36 or 54 tooth ratchet? That is almost a necessity on normal bikes but I don't know how much difference it would make on an E-bike.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Good question. I understand that DT Swiss uses the 24 tooth ratchet because it's torque capacity is larger that the 36 or 54 tooth version. I have a 54 tooth on my Turner Flux and a 36 that I took off. I might try swapping it out but honestly have not found the need on the Tazer for quicker engagement. Worth I try

·
Registered
523 Posts
I havent changed mine out. I agree that I havent found the need. As far as being faster on the Tazer, every review I could find on the Tazer said that the tazer was a very confidence inspiring ride. I concur. The slack head angle/ 29er front wheel combined with a steep seat tube angle and fat rear wheel feels spot on. I havent rode other ebikes, but I feel like a superhero on the DH while riding the Tazer. And it is very comfortable to climb on as well. Overall, I think Intense nailed the handling on this bike. I really like having the longer travel both front and rear. The suspension feels even deeper than 155/160mm travel bike.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’ve got 2 sets of wheels for my Tazer, the stock DT wheel set as a backup and Bontrager line pro carbon wheel set. The rear Bontrager has according to them 108degree engagement. Unfortunately I’ve broken the Bontrager twice, but besides the ratcheting freewheel noise they make, I really can't tell difference between them. I’ve got to agree with the others and say a faster engaging rear hub isn’t needed.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.