Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
schlitz said:
im in the market for a new set of tires and was looking at the intense system 4's.

just wondering if any of you have ridden them, ans what the pros vs cons are.

thanks
I ask about getting a set at Sea Otter. Toby Henderson (who now owns Intense Tires) told not to bother, said the knobs are too close together and the cornering suffers. Look at the Intense CC 2.25, very nice intermediate to soft conditions (except mud).

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Yup, what he said...

I tried a pair this past spring, here on the CO Front Range on loose over hard pack trails. I didn't like them at all, they broke loose in corners very easily. I do know someone who's had great luck with the Cross Country model, he loves 'em (redstonecyclery.com).

I've had better luck with Maxxis Minions and High Rollers, and I know a few folks that are very happy with the new Kenda Nevegals.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
schlitz said:
im in the market for a new set of tires and was looking at the intense system 4's.

just wondering if any of you have ridden them, ans what the pros vs cons are.

thanks
I use one 2.25 System 4 in front in Nor Cal wet conditions. They are not stickeee rubber but they are higher grip on rock compared to most general use tires. For comparison they are much better wet condition grip on slippery rocks and roots than any WTB tire or a FireXC. They are slow rolling so I use a MutanoRaptor 2.4 in the back which are the best rolling tire I've ever ridden and shed mud fairly well (which is no bigger than the Intense 2.25). I've found the System 4's to be very grippy in Nor Cal conditions of loose dirt over hardpack, gravel, and rocks.

I want to try the System 4's in the desert next time to see if I like them better there than 2.4 MotoRaptors which work very well in sandy rocky desert conditions if there's not much climbing. System 4's are about the same weight as 2.4 MotoRaptors, but the traction is grippier.

- ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts