Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at these 2 possibilities. I'm leaning towards the Spider because the suspension setup makes more sense to me and I think I'd like to customize the frame. On the other hand IH seems to be offering a lot on the Hollowpoint. I'm concerned about the placement of the suspension on the downtube though. I thought that was, traditionally, where frame walls were thinnest. I just read about a frame breakage in the review section. Also, I keep hearing different things about problems with the Spider's bearings but that they're fixed. Don't know. Any thoughts?

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
mrgorth said:
I'm looking at these 2 possibilities. I'm leaning towards the Spider because the suspension setup makes more sense to me and I think I'd like to customize the frame. On the other hand IH seems to be offering a lot on the Hollowpoint. I'm concerned about the placement of the suspension on the downtube though. I thought that was, traditionally, where frame walls were thinnest. I just read about a frame breakage in the review section. Also, I keep hearing different things about problems with the Spider's bearings but that they're fixed. Don't know. Any thoughts?
If you look at the fractured Hollowpoints reported on the Iron Horse board, the fractures are not on the downtube where you are concerned - there's a pretty good reinforcement there. They're seat-tube failures and this area has been beefed up in the 2004's, according to Ska Todd. You can see the pics and commentary on the Iron Horse board. You'll also see that the IH folks are serious about customer support and have been taking care of these problems as they arise. I've got a Team and I love the way it rides. It's a whole lot of bike for the money.

Kathy :^)

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I'm partial to the Hollowpoint because (a) I'm a real believer in the dw-link system and what it offers over the VPP, and (2) I love great value and Iron Horse is in a position where Giant was a few years back, offering the best bang for the buck this side of Weyless, but with an exceptional design and great customer service.

There have been a few VPP vs. dw-link debates on the various mountain bike forums, but generally it seems someone who has their eye on an Intense or a Santa Cruz ignores the Hollowpoint because of the lack of cache in the Iron Horse brand name. I really encourage you to seek out a Hollowpoint to demo and compare to a VPP bike; I think you'll be as impressed as I am if you can get beyond the notion that ride quality does is not directly proportional to dollars spent.

Of course I'm biased because I own a HP, but I like to think that that bias came from what I learned about the suspension designs prior to making my decision of which to buy.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The Hollowpoint Is Worth Looking At

First of all,

See if you can test ride both. And, I mean real riding. Not a parking lot. That being said, I bought a 2003 HP Expert w/ out test riding and absolutely love it.. I was kind of freaked out too about hearing about the seat tube fractures. Funny thing is when you read about other duallies, there are frame cracks on even the boutique bikes.

Now, if you venture toward the all-mountain/heavy XC rider, you will not be dissappointed by the HP. I test road a bunch of bikes, except the HP. And dollar for dollar, and component to component, this is one of the best bargains out there. And, I truely believe the that the DW-Link is a superior, non-bob, bump eating suspension technology, especially when compared to single-pivot bikes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I can see that it is beefed up and that's cool. But if that is, traditionally, where a mnfctr will save weight on a frame does it not stand to reason that this will be a heavier frame than say the Intense, Santa Cruz, or Rocky Mountains? Also, where are IH's frames made?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
mrgorth said:
Thanks. I can see that it is beefed up and that's cool. But if that is, traditionally, where a mnfctr will save weight on a frame does it not stand to reason that this will be a heavier frame than say the Intense, Santa Cruz, or Rocky Mountains? Also, where are IH's frames made?
My medium '03 HP weighed in at 6.25 pounds. I can't remember if that was with or without the 200g+ shock I have on it. HP frames are Taiwanese made.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I'd second that. I'd also go one further and say make sure both bikes have the same shock on there, whether they both are 5th airs or AVAs. Otherwise you won't get an apples to apple comparison and you won't be able to tell if what you "feel" is the shock or the suspension design.

IMO, putting function aside, assuming both bikes are equal mechanically and in durability, I'd have to say that they both bikes "look" like you are getting what you pay for. I've briefly ridden both (the intense far more briefly), and the quality of build on the intense looks like is a $2000 frame (or whatever it goes for) and the HP looks like it's a lot less dough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.