Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '04 Spider frame despite what I read about the problems with the lower pivot bolts and bearings...Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do prior to building the frame to avoid the bolt/bearing problems? From everything I've read, if people would have known about the problems ahead of time they might have been able to do something to prevent it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Just make sure everything is tight and ride. The bolt bearing issue's have been exagerated out of proportion. Some people have had problems but a lot haven't. If you want to be safe clean out any grease/oil of the lower pivot bolts and use blue loctite on tehe threads.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No problem...

I recommend to use a torque wrench when you get the frame and tighten the bearing caps to the specified torque. I had problems initially with the pivots loosening but since tightening them with a torque wrench this has not been an issue. Blue loctite certainly wouldn't hurt but in my case it was not needed.

I agree that this problem has been blown way out of proportion. It is not a major issue and falls in-line with regular frame maintenance that would be required of any frame.

On a side not, others have reported bearing problems but mine are still smooth like butter after 6 months of riding. I'm sure you will love the frame as it is one sweet ride!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.