Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, I just bought the last 2013 Spider Comp in Canada. It came with Fox float 32 120mm that I would like to upgrade. I weight 190 and would like something stiffer. I don't mind since the price tag wasn't that bad with that closeout sale (but it is still a lot of money for a bike!). I would like to get a Pike 140mm offset 51mm but it seem there's more people going for 150mm. I will mainly ride some single track, maybe the occasional dh run… Anyone with some experience to share?

·
Registered
975 Posts
By DH run, do you mean a ski lift type of run, or "trail that's pointed downhill"?

I personally like a 140mm on a 29er for "east coast" type riding. I just ordered a Carbine 29 and will be running it at 140mm for east coast and toss a 150mm air spring in there for when I take it out to Colorado.

-Tom

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly trail ridding with a lot of climbing/descending. But since I'm in Quebec City, I have access to Mont Ste-Anne so could do some proper dh run from time to time...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
By DH run, do you mean a ski lift type of run, or "trail that's pointed downhill"?

I personally like a 140mm on a 29er for "east coast" type riding. I just ordered a Carbine 29 and will be running it at 140mm for east coast and toss a 150mm air spring in there for when I take it out to Colorado.

-Tom
Size L? Really want to swing a leg over a Carbine 29...

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

-Tom
I agree. 150 is a bit much. I'm set up at 130 for climbing purposes.

Posted via mobile

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm running a 130 Fox current. I have test ridden a 140, that is as much travel as I would run. I do XC riding, not much DH. I just feel like the geometry will feel a little choppered out with a 150mm.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am running a Revelation 140 - 120 adjustable fork. Its perfect for that bike really as gives you the 140 for the descents and 120 going back up.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have a float 34 lowered to 130mm on mine which would be close in height to 140mm on a Pike. I wouldn't go any taller on it.

You will love the bike, it rips.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a float 34 lowered to 130mm on mine which would be close in height to 140mm on a Pike. I wouldn't go any taller on it.

You will love the bike, it rips.
That's my first choice indeed. For what I read, crown to axle distance is the same on Pike 140 and Float 130. Only problem right now, Pikes are b.o in canada, at least for 2 weeks. So I will have to get the bike with the stock 120mm and get the Pike later, or take a chance and wait a bit to see if they can get me the fork I want soon enough...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have one new on ebay and have one on my spider best fork ever. BTW where did you buy your frame? My buddy is looking for a large size. The fork I am selling is the very rare 51mm offeset 140mm. I reduced mine to 130mm for all around riding but it felt good at 140mm. Also for the record RS does not make the 51mm offset in anything but a 140mm. You have to change up or down from 140 by changing the air piston. This is the only way to make it the way you want with the 51mm offset.
eBay item number:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice fork rgeniec… I'm in Canada, so I would have 15% taxes+ duty on your fork. I'll wait bit if I can get one with the same store from which I bough the bike. They promise me a good price… But it's exactly what I'm looking for: 140, 51mm offset…

I bought the bike online from a Vancouver store:
Dunbar Cycle Online Bike Shop

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I bought my 150mm with 51 offset. Even says 150mm on the fork so it wasn't an air shaft change.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Trail Ninja
6,167 Posts
I want to see a Lefty SuperMax on a Spider 29 Comp.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Lewis. The fork is back order AGAIN but if you want to call me I can send the fork to you as a "repair and serviced used fork" on the airbill. Just pay the actual shipping amount. I am a private seller and not a bike shop. No taxes.
[email protected] is my email.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lewis. The fork is back order AGAIN but if you want to call me I can send the fork to you as a "repair and serviced used fork" on the airbill. Just pay the actual shipping amount. I am a private seller and not a bike shop. No taxes.
[email protected] is my email.
It seems the fox 120mm was b.o. so I will get a Fox Float 34 140mm. I think I'll give it a try before going with a Pike. Maybe going XX1 to shave weight/hassle instead...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a Fox Float 34 140mm fork on a 2012 (aluminum) Spider 29. It's a good match for the rear suspension's 'short' setting (4.7in.), and helps relax the steep headtube angle. Probably too much fork for pure XC work, but you'll like knowing it will shrug off any predicament you get into, short of banzai DH. Good luck with your upgrade and congrats on your Intense purchase!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts