Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Not sure what we're supposed to get from this, but if it is that Intense is out of the 29er business, its for the better. The Spider29 was shat. No need for one anyway, Pivot and Turner have proved that you can have multi-link and lateral stiffness.(On the first try. ((They must test. Or engineer. Or both))
Screw 'em.

·
Administrator
11,988 Posts
holy smokes don't be such a panic button. Listed right next to their new Spider 2 is the spider 29er

http://www.intensecycles.com/2008/bikes.php?model=spider29

I mean the spider 2 has .5-1" more travel than the spider and since 29er wheels give the sensation of 1" more travel the spider 29 has 4" plus the advantage of the 29" wheels so it is much more akin to the spider 2 than it ever was to the spider FRO.

What's it matter anyway? you now have a pimped out Niner. Let the industry progress and when you are ready for your next bike in a few years perhaps intense will have released the 29er Socom or whatever.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I fail to see in any way how this is getting "screwed by Intense"... They didn't announce they were cancelling the Spider 29, did they? And even if they did, then there are plenty of bikes made by other MFR's that exceed the performance of that bike, IMO. Unless they took your deposit money, and then cancelled a bike and told you that you couldn't have your money back, you have nothing to b!tch about. Obviously 29 is not high on their list of priorities with their customer base, so it is done after the other bikes that they sell more of. Simple business decision on their part to do changes/upgrades on that model after the others.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockcrusher said:
holy smokes don't be such a panic button. Listed right next to their new Spider 2 is the spider 29er

http://www.intensecycles.com/2008/bikes.php?model=spider29
Spider 29" did not ungo such refinements in suspension- VPP. VPP 2 is now on some Santac cruz and Intense but not on their 5.5 29er and Spider 29er.

Again why Intense didn't make Spider 2 in 29er version in the first place? Why all progress must transition through 26ers?

Such Spider 2 29" would be a really nice addtion to 29er world. Again more options, greater competition.

·
Snapper
489 Posts
short comings

I own a Spider 29er as well. I run it with a 120 fork up front which negates some of its overly XC feel (works for me) The Spider fits me like a glove (6.5 and 110kgs) but is let down by the flexy rear end. I believe it is the chain and seat stays but could be the rockers. Please Intense if you would strengthen up the flex issues then l would not be selling this frame. I would even pay for the upgrade (cheaper than the other option......... new frame). Rode a Pivot 429 and it was such a difference in stiffness along.......... l am sure the Turner would be great as well. Doesnt strike me that Intense are leaving you unsupported but they need to make it stiffer, offer existing owners the opportunity to upgrade and watch Intense reestablish themselves back into the 29er market. It currently rides like a noodle which is now common knowledge (heard alittle late lm afraid). Great they gave it a go so early ............ some things worked some things did not. The measure of great customer service is ones ability to create a warm experience and the best marketing is word of mouth (our here ). It is not that we fail in our bold attempts rather how we handle the hurdles / failures to leave a lasting impression for the customer / client. There are very few cycling companies that reach the heights of great service. I have had good and bad experiences with many brands in the past and that influences further decisions and advice l may pass on to others. This is the fourth Intense l have owned. All have been brought second hand (cant afford a new one) so havent had the warrenty option. I have approached Intense about the short comings of the Spider 29er. It is still a noodle.

Enough ramblings............ should look into therapy / UN Peace talks or Management 101 with that release.
JD

·
Registered
614 Posts
johnd663 said:
I I have approached Intense about the short comings of the Spider 29er. .
JD
Would have loved to been the fly on the wall for that exchange. I can hear it now:
"It flexes"
'Its fine, just ride it'
"It bends like a noodle"
'They're supposed to do that. We designed it that way'
:madman:

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
I like my Spider 29, and I'm 6-4, 215ish and thrash the hell out of it racing and riding on wickedly technical trails. Does it flex a bit? Yes. Is the suspension action so sweet that I don't care? Yes. Have I ridden plenty of other full suspension 29ers and compared it? Of course. To each their own, but it's not an inherently bad frame. I've owned aluminum hardtails that have flexed as much as the Spider frame.

As for Intense "screwing" their customers... well it's pretty much the drivel I'd expect from DC. With a one man R&D department, Intense tackles frame revisions one or two projects at a time. First was the Tracer VP, then the Spider 2 and Uzzi VP. Once those go into production over the next few months I'm sure we'll see revised protos of Spider 29er 2's.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jbogner said:
As for Intense "screwing" their customers... well it's pretty much the drivel I'd expect from DC. With a one man R&D department, Intense tackles frame revisions one or two projects at a time. First was the Tracer VP, then the Spider 2 and Uzzi VP. Once those go into production over the next few months I'm sure we'll see revised protos of Spider 29er 2's.
Drivel you say? So why did they venture into 26er rebuilds rather than 29er?
Is there a company exept Niner who re/invented something and used it on 29ers first?

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
Davidcopperfield said:
Drivel you say? So why did they venture into 26er rebuilds rather than 29er?
Is there a company exept Niner who re/invented something and used it on 29ers first?
If that is your standard for bike companies, it must be awfully sad for you as you go through life.

If you don't understand product cycles- refreshing older products with higher sales volume before more recent products with lower sales volume, then I'm not going to explain it to you.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
Plenty of better 29ers out there though Intense has missed the opportunity to get more of the 29er market share. With that ridiculous (73 degrees) headangle, they seem intent on maiming their customers. :p

It would be good to see them revamp that bike. VPP2, stiffer rear/front, and a slacker headangle or even an adjustable headangle. They probably don't sell enough of the 29er though and prefer to focus on what they sell a lot of.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No one has ripped you off DC

I hate to respond to a DC :incazzato: post because he can be such a troll but here we go...I own a Spider 29 and have owned and ridden many other 29ers over the years (owned; Moots MootoX, GF Paragon, Vicious Groover, GF Supercaliber, Niner RIP9, ridden; Lenz Lev, GF HiFi, Salsa Dos, Spot BD, GF Superfly, Pivot 29). Just like johnd, I too have a 120mm fork on the front (Fox) and dont have any issues with twitchiness (or whatever people complain about) . The rear end is a little flexy (160 lbs nekid) but it climbs better than any other bike Ive ever ridden. So it's a trade off, I suffer a little on fast descents because of the rear end but the intoxication of cleaning the up is worth it for me. This has nothing to do with the OP except that I dont feel ripped off. If and when Intense redesigns the Spider 29 I will ride one and possibly buy one but until that time I just cant feel ripped off by something that doesnt exist.

·
Snapper
489 Posts
SyT said:
Would have loved to been the fly on the wall for that exchange. I can hear it now:
"It flexes"
'Its fine, just ride it'
"It bends like a noodle"
'They're supposed to do that. We designed it that way'
:madman:
they told me to use a old style shimano quick release as their cam action is the best. I replied l have King hubs and bolt ups (fun bolts), tried Hope and Mavic skewers and it doesnt work. If you hold the rear wheel and move you can see the seat stays twisting. Perhaps more so on the XL frame but as a trail bike with my heft it struggles. As a race bike in a smaller size it could be great. We will see what happens next. I will be getting a different FS 29er frame as it is that disconcerting. Other than that it is a nice bike.
JD

·
Now wr rollin on a Boom!
282 Posts
I'm with Bog and Sticks

I love my Spider 29--even with a 100mm fork, and I'm getting a 120 TA reba when my wallet lets me.
The Pivot I rode was way stiffer laterally, but nowhere near as plush--not even close...it's a race bike, really. The Turner sounds awesome, though, and is going to be stealing the VPP sales from Niner and Intense if they don't step up.

The main source of flex on my bike seems to be in the stays, not the pivots, so it looks like it wouldn't be whole-bike redesign to improve, and wouldn't increase weight more than an ounce or two. If anyone at Intense is reading this, go ahead and do it, you don't need to send me a check for the idea:p.

I don't mind the flex (175lbs, me); the bike rolls bumps like it had 6" of travel and still climbs like a goat.

As for DC's rage, um, I think they can do whatever they want, right? It's a business, and I'd rather see 'em make smart money decisions than go out of business...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm another one who loves the Spider 29. Climbs like a race bike and descends like a trail bike. I had a Nomad too and the Spider 29er descends as well on the hardpack, better on real tight twisty single track (course the Nomad does better on the black diamond stuff).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.