Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on ordering a Primer soon. It looks like a good fit for the type riding I do, more XC type riding, but I'm a big middle aged guy that wants a little more suspension travel for when I do push the downhills.

I'm 6'0" and 245 lbs. I ride both a 2015 KHS Bajada 29 Large and a 2009 Stumpjumper FSR 29 Large. The Stumpy is longer and slower to turn than the shorter KHS, but I am generally more comfortable with the Stumpy's overall fit (with 80mm stem) as I feel a little bit farther back off the front of the bike, if that makes sense. Climbing wise, seat position feels comfortable with both bikes, with the KHS requirng a little more technique keeping the front end on the ground.

That being said, what are your thoughts on sizing me for a Primer?

(Below are geometries for my KHS first and Stumpy below that for those of you so inclined).

KHS

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm 5'11" 175lbs, I rode a large this past weekend and felt great. Try Enailing Intense. They are great and will help you.

For comparison ... It actually felt slightly bigger than a Rocky Mountain Instinct Large.

FYI ... they are out of stock on large and dont know when they will get more. They told me last Monday that one black will be in stock by the end of July. No blue ones.

From Intense "we dont know when we will have more in stock". I asked about the Foundation and expert.

I called them and then asked my bike shop to call them (I thought the bike shop might get a better answer, they are an Intense dealer).

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
447 Posts
You should not run stem longer than 50 mm, better to upsize frame and run shorter stem, give them a call, based on you height I’d go large or xl depending on your apex index, short legs / long torso - L
Long legs/ short torso - xl

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm 5'8" on a medium. I did shorten my stem a bit and am running some bars with a bit of sweep as I prefer to be a bit taller when riding rather than leaned over.

All my bikes are Medium and I don't think the Primer has crazy reach and Geo numbers. I would say if you always have ridden L frames then start there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I'll take some inseam and reach measurements and double check with Intense.

Boston29, Intense told me they would have some Foundation builds in 2 weeks. They have some Pro, Expert and Elite builds....just not sure I need that much extra bike. Still contemplating that one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks all. I'll take some inseam and reach measurements and double check with Intense.

Boston29, Intense told me they would have some Foundation builds in 2 weeks. They have some Pro, Expert and Elite builds....just not sure I need that much extra bike. Still contemplating that one.
Ah! Very nice. I was just passing along the information they gave me and my local bike shop, on July 1.

I will give them another call later today. If that is the case, I will be happy and a little pissed, since I ended up ordering a Rocky Mountain instead. But it's not here yet. Hehe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.