Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the large may not be so chuckable in the twisties though...(121-123 cm wheelbase :eekster::eekster: )

will i feel cramped and over the bars in a medium?

·
Registered
785 Posts
An inch in length isn't huge. I tend to like shorter cockpits. For my trail bike I should be on an xl and I ride a large. My prior dh was a medium vp free. I had a large first, switched to a medium and liked
it better. Its just a matter of personal preference. The large feels great but I think I would be just as happy on a medium.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i also agree in that.

an inch in reach is not much of a deal, but a longer wheelbase makes the bike aquite not flickable in the twisties.

that's why i am inclined to buy a medium M9. the large M9 has a huge wheelbase.

it's just that i don't want to feel like i am over the bars in tricky sections with the medium...

:madman::madman::madman::madman:

i am ****ing confused and i can't test ride one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm 6' and ride a large. Ya want to run the shortest stem ya can for control. If ya go medium you might be tempted to run a longer stem. My reasoning atleast. But in the end it's preference so try to find a shop or something where you can sit on one. The bike is so adjustable (wheelbase etc) you can tweak it how you want. Just don't try to make it a 951. It's designed to go as fast as possible so long WB is what ya want the option of IMO.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's not a cheap bike, as you know. So it's wise to demo one for size, at very least in the parking lot, before you buy. No way I can tell what you will like more via internet. I just know I like the large better, and I am running a 40mm stem. It's perfect, the medium had me hovering a bit more over the bars than I like. But the medium would have worked if it was my only option...just glad it wasn't. I am much more comfy on the large which translates to not buying another rig next season. haha right. Then again, height is different depending on if you have a longer torso, shorter legs, or opposite. The standover is not much of a concern between the med and large, so the reach (effective top tube) is more important to evaluate. I have a longer torso/arms so this plays into why I prefer a bit longer cockpit. Make sense? Bottom line is don't guess if you don't have to...find somebody with one in stock and take note of the variables before you pull out the wallet. The bike is absolutely amazing btw...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.