Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Just got myself registered here at the forums, after using the mtbr.com site for such a long time. I'm located in Dublin, Ireland at the moment.

I need the guidance of M3 owners/ riders about the issue I've got with sizing... I'm 5 ft 9inches tall (or 176 cm), so I guess I do fall in between sizes. I had a 99 M1 sometime back in medium, and I have to admit it was a huge thing to attempt to throw around, especially in tight UK tracks.... Am looking at the small size for now, moreover there seems to be no more mediums left at most online Intense dealerships in the US.

Kindly advice us about how your rig feels like, with your height.... I don't have the opportunity to test one cos there isn't any here! :( Anyone who has their M3's in the small size, would stem adjustments/ drop seatposts help with fit?

Thanks a Million

Raj

·
Registered
160 Posts
hi there
I'm 1.74m . Medium fits like a glove for me. I run stem length on about 35 mm, and the seat's a little to the back. A set back seat post may cater this fram for people up to 1.80 or taller.

I didn't try the Small, and didn't check how much smaller it is. Assuming it's an inch in Top tube length, it should be allright, with a setback seatpost and a 50mm stem or so, but I'd go for M if available.

As to flicking it about: I also had a medium 99 M1 back in the day. The M3 is MUCH more dynamic in throwing it about. Centre of gravity is heaps lower, so is the BB. You won't be dissappointed! It's also much more stable through the rough. Never raced in britain or ireland, but this bike excels in the rough germal black forest tracks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Dude,

Thanks for the reply. I'm about 1.76 m, and optimumly I'd go for a medium, but major US stores won't have them till summer or something!

If you said you're from Germany, how much would the M3 cost in Euro? Usd is 2650 for the non custom coloured ones.....

Still debating if I should book a small one... huge problem cos there isn't a dealer here, or anyone who rides one! So....

Raj

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm 5'8" and have ridden a friends small M3 with a 200mm 888 and Lowrider crowns. It was much too small for me. IMO the geometry on the small just doesn't work with an 8" fork. It was very choppered out even with the Lowrider crowns. I'd stay with the medium.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Raj,
mine's from Bike Crew in germany.US is way cheaper, but i'd rather spend a bit more and have the right size.
I think they're currently around 3400€ on the continent.

Scott: M3 is very low eh, it does require a race fork, such as a dorado or boxxer. 888 is too high, even on my medium. It's even too high for frames that are not as racey as theM3. I've a Dorado mk1 in it, which works well but i had to drop the crowns 1.5" compared to my M1.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a Million!

Hello there,

Thank you so very much for the feedback! I've been rather disappointed with the inavailability of medium sizes after numerous calls to major suppliers in the states. Will have to keep on trying, otherwise I'll have to get in the queue for shipment (HOPEFULLY) in the summer... There was one available in baby blue (Dang it!), which, er, isn't terribly exciting! Hmmmmmm...... wait for the reds for 2-3 months, or blue right now?? Argghhhhh!

Thanks a Million

Raj

·
Registered
70 Posts
Red October said:
Hello there,

Thank you so very much for the feedback! I've been rather disappointed with the inavailability of medium sizes after numerous calls to major suppliers in the states. Will have to keep on trying, otherwise I'll have to get in the queue for shipment (HOPEFULLY) in the summer... There was one available in baby blue (Dang it!), which, er, isn't terribly exciting! Hmmmmmm...... wait for the reds for 2-3 months, or blue right now?? Argghhhhh!

Thanks a Million

Raj
I am 6'4" and have a medium with a 8" 888 with marzocchi flat crowns and it rides awsome. I have to get used the the slacker head angle and lower standover height. (I am comparing it to my bb7).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the info, BigBird. I've got a 04 888 R still brand new in the box, waiting to be bolted on.... Problem is, that Fox DH40's are just the stuff I want now. 888's are just awesome, Fox just does it without that extra bit of weight!

Are you running DHX's on the M3, or those Manitou Swingers? How's it performing? There's a shortage on the DHX option, not sure if it's worth waiting around for a good amount of time till it's back in stock again?

Thanks a Million

Raj

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DroooooooollllLL!!!!!!!!

That's plain wicked dude! Saw that pic previously already, but, what's to do? No one's got M3's in Red/Black or Silver in the US now.... Would you know of any still available in MEDIUM?

Thanks!

Raj

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks!

Hiya!

I actually spoke to Hap @ Competitive Cyclist last before the last weekend. I've already confirmed that I am taking that light blue M3.

Hmmmmm. I wonder how's it gonna work with the Fox DH40's and the DHX in the rear :D

Yayyy!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
66 Rc?????

Hi all

This will probably sound really really dumb, but, is there a sane possiblitiy of running a Marzocchi 66 170mm on the M3? Will it screw up the headtube angle that much that it screws up the handling? It seem to be about an inch's difference from using a 888...... er, at least that was my math that made sense :p

Just wondering, for the days when it's smooth and fast going ala Super D stuff.... instead of the rough rocky/ rooty business.....

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks a Million

Raj

·
Registered
160 Posts
get a boxxer or so to go with the M3. It's a race frame, there's no point in fitting a freeride fork in it. Besides: M3 is designed around triple clamp forks, i'm not too sure if a single crown fork would be so wise, as it stresses the bottom end of the head tube more.

888? will hear, but i don't know of anyone looking for one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks

Dude,

Thanks for the enlightening reply. Didn't really figure out the part where the head tube will be a lot more stressed. Still deciding between the Fox DH 40 R or the RC model.

The RC's seem to be out of stock for the next month? The regular ones are available, but moving quick

Raj

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.