Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
fart knocker
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was cruising down an easy fire road after an hour or so of hard trail riding when .....POP..... followed by buzzing tire. :madmax: after walking a mile or so back to truck in bike shoes:rolleyes: called intense, was informed that they dont deal with customers unless its warrantable damage (of course my frame is just out of warranty) so i have to try and get a replacement from one of the non-intense dealers in my area:madman: but no appology or even any concern about my safety from intense. this is sad to because i really liked this bike, but now am considering buying a yeti asl and fixing the intense and dumping it on ebay.

a side question to you downhill and freeride guys.... if you had a frame crack like this would you question riding it again, assuming you got it fixed?? if my frame had broken earlier when i was on harder trail i could have been seriously injured, and to top it off i would have been miles from any access roads. i mean if it broke that easily on an easy fire road, i have a hard time trusting it while blasting downhill. i guess it could just be a fluke, but if it happened once im sure it could happen again. and although i have good insurance, i dont really want to use it ya know:skep:

·
fart knocker
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The frame is a 2006. Don't know how many miles since I bought it used. I have only had it 3 months. Mainly aggressive XC riding, no big drops or jumps, just fast trail riding.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
" i mean if it broke that easily on an easy fire road, i have a hard time trusting it while blasting downhill."

To be completely honest, your bike probably didn't break that easily on an easy fire road. Usually when you see this type of break, the weld has been cracked for sometime and finally fatigues at a later point in time. If you look very, very closely at the break, some of it will look "new" and crystalized, where another portion will be smoother and darker. That indicates that the break has been widening for a bit. It's hard to tell in your pics.

It is a bummer that you're out of warranty and a 2nd owner on the bike. I'd consider buying a rear triangle and riding the hell out of it.

My guess is that the 1st owner rode the bike pretty hard.

·
EXTREEEEEME KAYAKING!
106 Posts
ignazjr said:
" i mean if it broke that easily on an easy fire road, i have a hard time trusting it while blasting downhill."

To be completely honest, your bike probably didn't break that easily on an easy fire road. Usually when you see this type of break, the weld has been cracked for sometime and finally fatigues at a later point in time. If you look very, very closely at the break, some of it will look "new" and crystalized, where another portion will be smoother and darker. That indicates that the break has been widening for a bit. It's hard to tell in your pics.

It is a bummer that you're out of warranty and a 2nd owner on the bike. I'd consider buying a rear triangle and riding the hell out of it.

My guess is that the 1st owner rode the bike pretty hard.
Its also possible that the original owner cracked the frame and then you were just the unlucky one that bought it. He might have just done all he could to cover it up and then just dump it on the first person interested. Just a thought...

·
fart knocker
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i look at the break again i could seen any obvious difference in the material, so my guess would be that the crack is fairly new. i usually ride 5-6 times a week 15-30 miles a trip. trails are a mix of fire roads, rolling hills, rock gardens, and thick and rough root systems. i also did a couple of xc races this year. i gotta figure if this bike had a crack when i got it, it would have went sooner. anyway im no metalugical expert so who knows, but i just dont want to buy a new triangle to have it break when i am on a rocky downhill section and break my collar bone or leg or worse. i'd just as soon buy a new frame and forget all about intense. a $1600 new frame is just a bit more expensive than my major medical deductable

·
ride
5,275 Posts
dominicSC said:
that SHOULD read i looked at the break again and i could'nt see any obvious difference in material
Man, sorry to hear that DominicSC. Sometimes those things just happen, but are rare. If it's any consolation, a few of my buddies here are on Spider XVPs and Spider 29ers and are literally beating the crap out of them (you should see the riding that my 29er sees). I'd chalk that up to freak occurance that would normally be covered under warranty for the original owner in the time frame. I still would feel good about a new rear tri.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
dominicSC said:
The frame is a 2006. Don't know how many miles since I bought it used. I have only had it 3 months. Mainly aggressive XC riding, no big drops or jumps, just fast trail riding.
I agree with other opinions here that you never know what the frame went through with the original owner. It is a lightweight XC frame and if it got abused or put a lot of miles on it than it is no wonder it broke. Guess we will never know.
To be honest, not knowing what the history of the frame is I wouldn't trust it anymore. But I don't think you can blame Intense for it. They make lightweight aluminum frames that have a limited lifetime. Ask Intense about a crash replacement and/or send in your frame and let them take a look at it. They should know if it is safe to just replace the swingarm or if you need to retire the whole frame.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
its a little unfair to lay blame solely on Intense just because your 2nd hand xc frame just broke....

What's worse, is you use your crappy situation to try and discredit Intense for making poorly welded frames? Intense clearly needs no defense here. Pretty harsh that you walk away from a company that made the frame you bought 2nd hand!

you bought it used, knowing that there are no reasonable guarantees that the original owner can offer, that is why the phrase 'caveat emptor' was coined about 2500 years ago.

Rear triangles are a lot more expensive than front triangles. But ask politely to intense or the intese dealer what can be done,

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
hmmm. usually when a frame breaks right at the weld, the manufacturer will consider that as a manufacturing defect. however being the second owner doesn't help you in your warranty claim. i doubt that u can "fix" that. you'll need a new rear triangle for sure. how about really asking the Intense guys nicely. You never know.

it's obvious that the failure didn't happen on the stresses from you riding the fire road or else it would have broken on the rock garden or "hard trail riding" you mentioned instead. It just happened and finally gave up on that road.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
so nearly all frame failures are manufacturing defects(since nearly all frames break at welds)? maybe but isn't the weld typically the weak link in any assembly?

alls i'm saying is, buying second hand is a gamb00L. (and i like to gamb00L too.)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
I'm surprised Intense won't deal with customers for parts outside of warranty. Any confirmation on this policy?
cannot confirm this outright but my secondhand 6.6, the headtube was dented and they worked with me and UPS to get a new front triangle built.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Bummer

Sorry to hear of your misfortune! I'm with Peachy, try and talk to Intense (and be nice with no attitude), tell them you like the bike, bla, bla, bla and see if you can get some type of deal on a new rear-T. I really doubt it would happen again and remember you don't know what the previous owner did to this bike. Who knows he might of been jumping it off cliffs! Good luck and keep us updated.

·
fart knocker
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i havent been pissy to anyone yet. im more disappointed than anything else. i wasnt pissy with intense when i called, i just expected them to help me get a new tri instead of telling me to go to my local non-intense dealer and try and talk them into ordering me a new triangle (my closest intense dealer is 2 hours away), but they wont sell me a tri or give me one. i was told i have to order though a bike shop. i put together a list of numbers to try and find a new rear tri, but the fate of the frame is still up in the air.
on a side note im not trying to discredit intense in any way. yes im disappointed my frame broke. yes im discouraged. but i LOVED the bike. i handled great, it carved corners great, the ride was super smooth, it climbed great..... its a great bike. am i willing to chance a lengthy hospital stay, missed work, and big medical bills that it wont break again when im flying down a hill, or negotiating a rock garden...... i dont know. im gonna make some calls and see whats avalible from my local shops

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
completely unrealistic

dominicSC said:
i just expected them to help me get a new tri instead of telling me to go to my local non-intense dealer and try and talk them into ordering me a new triangle
Well, you are disappointed because of unrealistic expectations.

Second-hand frames are not covered by warranty.
Crash replacement frames are not free, they usually cost something.

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
dominicSC said:
am i willing to chance a lengthy hospital stay, missed work, and big medical bills that it wont break again when im flying down a hill, or negotiating a rock garden...... i dont know.
You take that chance when you hop on any mountain bike. When you look at statistically relevant aggregate numbers, Intense bikes do not break more frequently than other brands, so your chance of injury due to frame failure on an Intense is the same as riding any other brand.

Having said that, your chance of a lengthy hospital stay, missed work, and big medical bills is much, much higher while driving in your car to the trailhead than it is riding your bike.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.