Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Im a Cowboy
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone using a Shadow xt rear mech on a 6.6 SS please look at the below thread
and comment on the odd positioning (it may apply to other Intense frames with the bolt on drop outs)

Im wondering if I should file down the gear hanger stop, would this effect warranty?

...oops..link....... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3957035

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You don't need to modify anything - it works fine as it is. I've been on mine for a couple of months with no issues.

·
Im a Cowboy
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DB, so yours look like mine?, Ill take your word for it being ok, but looks to me like the hanger is not compliant with the shimano spec, it certainly doesnt sit right compared to every other frame ive seen a shadow on,I reckon the step in the hanger is off by about 8 degrees
design slipup perhaps..one that no-one noticed much on conventional mechs because of the
different design

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I think this is a valid discussion. When I installed the Shadow XT derailleur on my M3 last July (which uses the same dropouts), I had noticed that the upper pulley was positioned a little too far rearward and downward. It wasn't really a problem until I was doing a ride in sloppy snow and mud. The chain would litterally jump over the cassette teeth under power. It was a new chain, too. I've been in these conditions before with other derailleurs, and this was never a problem. I think the positioning of the derailleur reduced the amount of chain wrap around the cassette. I have not yet made any measurements for comparison's sake.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Here's a pic of mine. Pretty much the exact same as yours. As I mentioned, no issues so far and I have no plans to mod mine unless there is a problem. If I were going to mod something, it would be the dropout.

·
Im a Cowboy
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update.. I couldnt leave it as was, but found modifying the dropout impractical due to its outer curve not leaving enough of a lip in the part of its radius that you need to take it back to...sooooooo

....I modified the shadow mech......cut off the original anti rotation stop an made a new repositioned one by drilling and tapping the plate 3mm and screwing in a 3 mm cap head machine screw from behind ...the cap head forming the new repositioned stop
Now the mech is closer to correct positioning

·
Im a Cowboy
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah about 1 tooth on the high gears maybe 2 on low

1 - 8 of 8 Posts