Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered if anyone has this bike and can give any opinions on spec and ride experience. I am fairly new to biking and would be using the bike mostly in north van/Squamish and occasionally at the bike park and big mountain rides. Currently I am only working through blue tech and flow trails.

I have a commencal tr29 on preorder but would need to wait a few months for it. The carbine expert can be had much sooner for the same price as the tr29 essential. I have rented the commencal tr29 and like the feel of the bike but I can’t find an intense to test ride.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It kinda comes down to how soon do you want to ride lol! I'm in sorta the same predicament. Do I purchase what I can actually get now/soon or order and wait months. I've never rode a commencal but I really do like those bikes. Would love to have a Clash.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you're not hitting HUGE jumps, gaps, ROCKS...lol, I would think the carbon frame is fine. I mean look at some of the worlds best riders and what they ride. Plenty of them ride carbon frames. Carbon is great just like your aluminum frames but more expensive to repair. Main reason I don't look for a carbon frame bike is the price points. I'm not trying to save a few grams of weight here and there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wondered if anyone has this bike and can give any opinions on spec and ride experience. I am fairly new to biking and would be using the bike mostly in north van/Squamish and occasionally at the bike park and big mountain rides. Currently I am only working through blue tech and flow trails.

I have a commencal tr29 on preorder but would need to wait a few months for it. The carbine expert can be had much sooner for the same price as the tr29 essential. I have rented the commencal tr29 and like the feel of the bike but I can't find an intense to test ride.
I think you really need to consider the geometry difference, especially STA, between these two bikes. I have a 2021 TR Race which has a 78.6 STA compared to the Carbine's 74. With the older geometry on the Carbine, most of your weight is over your back wheel. The pedaling efficiency I have gained on the TR by being centered on the bike is night and day different than the old school designs I used to ride. I can't imagine going back to something with that slack of an STA. I know Commencal is pushing the limits on progressive geometry but it really works well on this bike. Sounds like the type of riding you are doing the TR would be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
If you're not hitting HUGE jumps, gaps, ROCKS...lol, I would think the carbon frame is fine. I mean look at some of the worlds best riders and what they ride. Plenty of them ride carbon frames. Carbon is great just like your aluminum frames but more expensive to repair. Main reason I don't look for a carbon frame bike is the price points. I'm not trying to save a few grams of weight here and there.
Carbon is way cheaper to repair than aluminum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I didn’t realize the carbine geometry was out dated and made the riding more difficult. I did some comparisons and the commencal looks steeper than most other trail bikes. Shame I can’t demo the intense but it’s a consideration because it’s available now vs end of year.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I wouldn't buy the Carbine, mostly because of the geo differences. Its a "new" bike, but the design at this point is fairly dated.

If the Commencal Meta TR looks appealing to you, then also take a look at the Norco Sight (if you can find one in stock anywhere), and the Privateer 141. Those are all sort of similar bikes.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Not sure what's going on at Intense but it feels like they're selling brand new bikes from 3-4 years ago.
Yeah, I completely agree.

Its like they're selling 2015-2017 bikes, but brand new.

Which I guess might be a good thing for some riders out there, but myself, its put me off the brand for now. However, I am interested to see what their new enduro bike is going to look like/when it will come out (the one we've seen Aaron Gwinn on a few times at various stateside events).

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,141 Posts
Not sure what's going on at Intense but it feels like they're selling brand new bikes from 3-4 years ago.
That's because INTENSE focused more on a "do it all trail bike" in 2020 and dropped the Recluse and Spider models from their lineup. Focusing more on the already tried and true trail model Primer. Tweaking what was there and adding to it.

So yeah, I can see the confusion of seeing an advertised Recluse when it's a 2019 sold as new. It's a new bike but not the latest geometry. I ride the 2020 Primer and I can vouch for its "do all" characteristics.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Count me in the camp of liking the new geometry with steeper seat angles and longer reaches. I was reluctant and concerned that as a middle age guy holding on for dear life to my skills and fitness I would have trouble adapting. First ride was an improvement and I wouldn’t go back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks, I was not super keen on the sight when I tested it. I liked the commencal though but a bit of a beast to climb with.
The TR is never going to win any records as the fastest bike up the hill, but I find the climbing to be very efficient. It performs well while seated, and also has great anti-squat if you want to dance on the pedals for some extra leverage, even when the shock is wide open. I valued the bullet proof design of the Commencal over a lightweight carbon climber because crashing for me happens more than I like to admit, and I had the same concerns you do about damaging a carbon frame. You also can't beat the price of the Commencal IMO. My dream bike is a Yeti SB140 but that runs $6100 to have similar specs to my 2021 TR Race that set me back $$3999 before the price hike earlier this year. That made my decision pretty easy and I don't regret it. You won't find a better trail bike once you point the TR down the hill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.