Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bring it
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 03 m1 frame is at home so i cant measure the headtube; i want to know what the suggested length for fork steerers is. i was thinking about getting a new 888 fork but the steerer is 7 3/8''...is it long enough? thanks

·
Bring it
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i found some specs and it says the head tube length is 5''...how is a lower crown going to help with a cut steerer length?? it will still be the same length.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
bigmax098 said:
well i found some specs and it says the head tube length is 5''...how is a lower crown going to help with a cut steerer length?? it will still be the same length.
Also on go ride:

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_lowriders.html#lowrider

Question: The head tube on my bike is too tall to fit the 888 fork, can the Lowrider crowns help?
Answer: If you have more than a 5.5" tall head tube you probably can't safely install the stock 888 on your bike. However, if you combine our lower crown with the stock upper crown you will will be able to accommodate the tallest head tubes.

·
Registered
403 Posts
bigmax098 said:
It's not the steerer. It's the clamping area on the stanchions. A stock 888 won't reach over 150mm of stack height. The flat lower crown or a 'drop' upper crown is needed so both clamps fit. My large M1 has 5.5" headtube and the upper crown wouldn't reach the top of the stanchions at their max position. 5" inches may work, mine was close. Try it first and see.

Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dartman said:
It's not the steerer. It's the clamping area on the stanchions. A stock 888 won't reach over 150mm of stack height. The flat lower crown or a 'drop' upper crown is needed so both clamps fit. My large M1 has 5.5" headtube and the upper crown wouldn't reach the top of the stanchions at their max position. 5" inches may work, mine was close. Try it first and see.

Mike
he's right. I have a med. and with the flat crowns (top and bottom), the top clamps just touch the tops of the legs. I am running a chris king headset with a direct mount stem. you could go with a flat bottom crown (to lower your front end to keep it close to the proper head angle/geometry) and use a drop top crown to reach the legs. good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.