Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i'll keep this short and sweet. Been riding an XC hardtail for 6 yrs and I'm ready to upgrade. I was going to purchase the Intense Primer (29er) but turns out there's no more larges in stock. I never really considered a 27.5 + tire prior to this bike being out of stock.

The bottom line is this. I can purchase an ACV foundation Build, and Intense will send me Carbon wheels in a 29in size. They have a free wheel promotion when you purchase this bike. My concern is that i've been a 29r guy for the past 6yrs and wont adapt to the slower 27.5. That being said I'll have a nice set of carbon 29r wheels to switch too at any point. Will this bike ride like a Primer 29er when i switch the wheel set?

I mean when you buy a bike that is a 27.5 build, but capable of being switched to a 29er, is it really that simple? Are these bikes designed and engineered efficiently to be the best of both worlds?

Any insight would be great!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked that question briefly and i dont believe there is any switch to change BB height. He said take your rotors from the 27.5 wheels and the Cog off the 27.5, put it on the 29er wheels, and slap it on. I've seen forums where people are switching betwen 27 and 29 and seem to enjoy both variations. I'm just looking at this from a practical standpoint. Are things truly this versatile?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I asked that question briefly and i dont believe there is any switch to change BB height. He said take your rotors from the 27.5 wheels and the Cog off the 27.5, put it on the 29er wheels, and slap it on. I've seen forums where people are switching betwen 27 and 29 and seem to enjoy both variations. I'm just looking at this from a practical standpoint. Are things truly this versatile?
Here in Quebec such a bike came out last year. Most people enjoyed the 27 option but felt on 29 it was too high, they had less confidence going down. So a demo might help you find is it at it s best on 27 or 29? Wich do you plan to use more? Even if the 27 is close to 29 while riding with the squish it is smaller. I just bought a 29 used and a 27 used so i am covered. Wet muddy days = 27, dry = 29

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had a Spesh 6Fattie for 2 yrs and currently have a Chameleon both came as 27.5+. I have switched wheels to 29er on both (back and forth) pending mood and conditions. The difference in BB height and roll over are minimal but noticeable, a few mm's. The feel between both set ups is mostly from tire volume.

If you look at Intense line-up the ACV and Primer have the same front triangle, the big difference is the rear, wider for "plus" tires. With the free wheel set you have basically what a lot of Primer owners chase...a longer travel bike. Folks are putting on longer travel forks and buying the Recluse link and a longer stroke shock (140mm) to sorta chase what ya get with the ACV and 29er wheels. As Intense claims a Primer "on steroids". I know a couple locals that would have a new Primer if it would take a 2.6 tire in the rear but a 2.35 is max at the moment. They are waiting for the new model which rumor has it will allow for a 2.6 tire.

I was going to do what you are thinking about because of the free wheel set but they are out of L Pro builds. I myself would be and am more concerned about the NX group and Revelation fork more so than the 27.5+ vs 29er feel.... I'm not an expert, just my $.02

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a Spesh 6Fattie for 2 yrs and currently have a Chameleon both came as 27.5+. I have switched wheels to 29er on both (back and forth) pending mood and conditions. The difference in BB height and roll over are minimal but noticeable, a few mm's. The feel between both set ups is mostly from tire volume.

If you look at Intense line-up the ACV and Primer have the same front triangle, the big difference is the rear, wider for "plus" tires. With the free wheel set you have basically what a lot of Primer owners chase...a longer travel bike. Folks are putting on longer travel forks and buying the Recluse link and a longer stroke shock (140mm) to sorta chase what ya get with the ACV and 29er wheels. As Intense claims a Primer "on steroids". I know a couple locals that would have a new Primer if it would take a 2.6 tire in the rear but a 2.35 is max at the moment. They are waiting for the new model which rumor has it will allow for a 2.6 tire.

I was going to do what you are thinking about because of the free wheel set but they are out of L Pro builds. I myself would be and am more concerned about the NX group and Revelation fork more so than the 27.5+ vs 29er feel.... I'm not an expert, just my $.02
Great response, and much appreciated. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. For the past 6yrs I've been just a simple 29er hardtail rider. This industry has changed so much, and it's confusing.

That being said, I liked what you had to say, and that leaves me with one last question. Do you not think the NX group and revelation fork are any good? There's no wrong answer as I have no idea. I like the idea of the 1x12 drivetrain, but i do know that the NX is the lowest in the Eagle line. As for the Revelation, i was always told that Rockshox makes solid suspension, but I've personally never ridden one!

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My LBS allowed me to ride outside the shop, There's acutally a small park with a few hills etc. behind the shop. It doesn't replicate single-track but it gives you a small taste of riding the bike.

Bottom line, I'm an impulsive person. If i dont buy now, I'll talk myself out of this. So I'm trying to purchase ASAP or the pragmatic side will win, and I'll end up buying nothing..LoL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure where you heard this but...not true.
I guess it's all subjective. I was talking to the one employee at my LBS and he's telling me, when he rides with his one buddy who's riding on a 27.5+ that he's constantly waiting on him, as his bike is way slower. Personally this seemed like an exaggeration to me.

On the other hand, I had a guy at another shop tell me that 27.5+ is the GOAT..LoL.

I'm not racing this thing. I wanna have fun. I like popping off roots, rocks, etc.. I like small jumps, small drops, fast and flowy, and tight and technical. One of my favorite things when riding, is pinning a turn as fast as possible. I could care less about being the fastest.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I guess it's all subjective. I was talking to the one employee at my LBS and he's telling me, when he rides with his one buddy who's riding on a 27.5+ that he's constantly waiting on him, as his bike is way slower. Personally this seemed like an exaggeration to me.

On the other hand, I had a guy at another shop tell me that 27.5+ is the GOAT..LoL.

I'm not racing this thing. I wanna have fun. I like popping off roots, rocks, etc.. I like small jumps, small drops, fast and flowy, and tight and technical. One of my favorite things when riding, is pinning a turn as fast as possible. I could care less about being the fastest.
After riding a 21 pounds XC 29x2.3 for a year and a half i tested a 27 pounds 27+ bike. Less rolling, less acceleration for sure. You have many choices in tires great rolling, great traction or in between. Some feel fast on + because of the added confidence so he might be right and i might be right. This is why idealy i want 75 min minimum to test where i ride. Like the nice guy who loaned me his + we switched and he could tell, it was obvious. OK my frame was carbon not his, he had a dropper not me but still the laws of physique do not care if i speak french or... if i believe in them or not. Wider tires on wider rims = more traction = more friction(drag) and less acceleration except on slippery area.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Great response, and much appreciated. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. For the past 6yrs I've been just a simple 29er hardtail rider. This industry has changed so much, and it's confusing.

That being said, I liked what you had to say, and that leaves me with one last question. Do you not think the NX group and revelation fork are any good? There's no wrong answer as I have no idea. I like the idea of the 1x12 drivetrain, but i do know that the NX is the lowest in the Eagle line. As for the Revelation, i was always told that Rockshox makes solid suspension, but I've personally never ridden one!

Thanks
First of all I don"t want to come off as an elitist. The NX and Revelation are adequate pieces. The NX drive train is quite heavy and the shifting is not on par with even the GX but that can be upgraded as they wear or break. The Revelation is not up to snuff with the Pike or Yari, smaller diameter stanchions, a few plastic bits internally that will fail. This is a mid-travel bike designed to be an aggressive trail bike. I think my concern personally is more with the fork than drive train.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First of all I don"t want to come off as an elitist. The NX and Revelation are adequate pieces. The NX drive train is quite heavy and the shifting is not on par with even the GX but that can be upgraded as they wear or break. The Revelation is not up to snuff with the Pike or Yari, smaller diameter stanchions, a few plastic bits internally that will fail. This is a mid-travel bike designed to be an aggressive trail bike. I think my concern personally is more with the fork than drive train.
Yeah I think you are correct. The other heavy contender (From the price point I'm shopping at) was the Stumpjumper. It has a Fox 34 up front and Fox Float in the rear. I've always been a fan of Fox. The downside to the stumpy is it's aluminum and doesnt come with a free set of carbon wheels. Always seems to be a trade off. It's hard to find the complete package when you dont want to exceed $3,500 for your total budget.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yeah I think you are correct. The other heavy contender (From the price point I'm shopping at) was the Stumpjumper. It has a Fox 34 up front and Fox Float in the rear. I've always been a fan of Fox. The downside to the stumpy is it's aluminum and doesnt come with a free set of carbon wheels. Always seems to be a trade off. It's hard to find the complete package when you dont want to exceed $3,500 for your total budget.
Please stop reading.
You do not need a FS
You do not need new
You can have 3 great bikes for less.
You cannot complain.
I warned u not to read.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Please stop reading.
You do not need a FS
You do not need new
You can have 3 great bikes for less.
You cannot complain.
I warned u not to read.
That was funny and there's a part of me that agrees. I may be a lost cause at this point. It's in my head, and I dont think i can get it out without dropping a ton of money...LoL

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
That was funny and there's a part of me that agrees. I may be a lost cause at this point. It's in my head, and I dont think i can get it out without dropping a ton of money...LoL
I have crazy long legs so i bought i bike that did not fit me. I replaced it with a used bike. And tried many bikes, kind of renting them for 1-6 months reselling at a small lost or a small benefit and i figured what works for me. There is no need for the big invoice, keep $ for a bike vacation. When you know what will fit your likes/needs you will not make the wrong choice. We can try to help but it is your decision, hopefully not your mistake.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have crazy long legs so i bought i bike that did not fit me. I replaced it with a used bike. And tried many bikes, kind of renting them for 1-6 months reselling at a small lost or a small benefit and i figured what works for me. There is no need for the big invoice, keep $ for a bike vacation. When you know what will fit your likes/needs you will not make the wrong choice. We can try to help but it is your decision, hopefully not your mistake.
You honestly make some good points. I never considered the bike vacation i could take with that type of money..LoL.

·
Registered
593 Posts
...The Revelation is not up to snuff with the Pike or Yari, smaller diameter stanchions, a few plastic bits internally that will fail...
The bike comes with the "new" Revelation which has 35mm stanchions, just like the Pike and Yari. The fork does have the Motion Control damper which has some plastic parts but was Rockshox's top damper until the Charger series came out and is fine for many (most?) riders.

https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-rvl-rc-a2

jdiulus - I have an ACV but I built mine up from the frame. I run mine with 29" wheels exclusively as the bottom bracket is really low and we have lots of rooty, pedally uphills where I live. There isn't much clearance for a wide 29" tire in the back - 2.3" is about the biggest I can run - but I run a 29" x 2.6" or 3.0" tire in the front. I also run mine with a coil shock as i couldn't get the stock Fox shock to work well with the VPP linkage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bike comes with the "new" Revelation which has 35mm stanchions, just like the Pike and Yari. The fork does have the Motion Control damper which has some plastic parts but was Rockshox's top damper until the Charger series came out and is fine for many (most?) riders.

https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-rvl-rc-a2

jdiulus - I have an ACV but I built mine up from the frame. I run mine with 29" wheels exclusively as the bottom bracket is really low and we have lots of rooty, pedally uphills where I live. There isn't much clearance for a wide 29" tire in the back - 2.3" is about the biggest I can run - but I run a 29" x 2.6" or 3.0" tire in the front. I also run mine with a coil shock as i couldn't get the stock Fox shock to work well with the VPP linkage.
Thank you for the additional info and i decided to purchase the ACV. I will be picking it up on Saturday. In the end it seems like a versatile bike. Out the door I will be running it as a 27.5 and i should have the carbon 29in wheels within the next 6 to 8 weeks. That will give me a lot of time with the bike as a 27.5, which is brand new to me.

I did some additional research and I'm fine with that Revelation Fork. You are correct about the Stanchions being 35mm. It's a foundation build so it's not specd with the most insanely high end stuff, but it should be more than adequate for what my riding ability is, and for where i ride.

Like you I ride in PA which is covered with lots of quick ups and downs, and they are covered in Roots!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.