Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello just had a few questions i'm hoping someone can answer. i was curious if the specs for the top tube length on this bike were actual, or just the horizonal distance. some companies list both, but i wasn't sure which one intense listed, i'm hoping its actual. i found a decent deal on a 6.6, but its a medium. i'm 6'2". it recommends a large, but the medium is recommended for people up to 6'0". i prefer a slightly smaller frame but i'm wondering if this would be too small. i recently just sold a nomad for this reason and would hate to buy antoher frame thats too small. if anyone has experience with this particular frame thats around my size, suggestions would be much appreciated. thank you.

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
I'm 5'11" and just picked up a med 6.6. It fits me fine, but I also prefer a smallish frame. I would say at your size a large would be a better choice. I was on a med Nomad before the 6.6. I have less exposed seatpost on the 6.6, but the length of the cockpit feels the same. I will say that I like the 6.6 better than the Nomad in a number of ways.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Hmm. I can't imagine you liking a medium unless you really like a short cockpit.... especially if you want a shorter stem.

I'm 5' 11.5" and felt OK on a medium that I demoed but it had a 100mm stem and setback seatpost.

I went with the large with a 90mm stem and straight post. I'm from a XC background but I've never liked a really stretched out cockpit YMMV.

Throw a leg over both if you can.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah. i wish could test each one, but that unfortunately isn't an option. i have no dealers nearby, espeically those that carry 6.6's. i was just trying to compare this bike to the one i ride now, but havne't had any luck in determining what they have posted, actual top tube or horizonal tobtube distance.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
jpk1080 said:
yeah. i wish could test each one, but that unfortunately isn't an option. i have no dealers nearby, espeically those that carry 6.6's. i was just trying to compare this bike to the one i ride now, but havne't had any luck in determining what they have posted, actual top tube or horizonal tobtube distance.
We have a rockin' demo program for $199 you have the bike shipped to your door keep it for a full 7 days and ride on your own trails.........what better way to get a feel before buying? Most shops would make you pedal around the parking lot (and you know you can't get a feel for the bike that way) Check out the program we have all the 6.6 sizes ready to ride. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCM?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=1942&CATEGORY.ID=442 Ride On- E2

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
jpk1080 said:
would you mind telling me a bit about your setup as far as stem length etc. thanks for your reply.
I run a 75mm stem and a 0 offset post. I used to run a 90mm stem but prefer the handling traits of the shorter 75. I spend a fair amount of time on a dh bike, and prefer descending to climbing. When I switched to the 75 I though I might lose a lot of climbing comfort, but the difference was minor. The compact cockpit makes the downhills alot more fun though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry, didn't realize you had already posted. i do prefer a smaller cockpit, i just know with the nomad, it felt too cramped. i felt like i was over the bars too far just standing up so.

·
Registered
557 Posts
1soulrider said:
I was on a med Nomad before the 6.6..... I will say that I like the 6.6 better than the Nomad in a number of ways.
I am very interested to read what you saw as the differences between the Nomad and the 6.6.

The only direct comparison I have seen was in Dirt Magazine. They clearly disliked the cable mounting system on the 6.6, and it implied that the 6.6 is a lot heavier, which is not the case at all. At least they did test both with the same fork, and stem/bar combo, which is essential to see where any differences might be.

I have a 5.5 which is a very lively longish travel trail bike ( I would not call it all mountain, when you see the trails here in NZ) and a Socom ( which it turns out is dramatically more manouverable and fun than my M3 was, and just as stable!).
I assume the 6.6 feels half way between the two, where its geometry etc places it?

Anyhow, if you are able to list the similarities and differences it would be fascinating.
Personally I am not interested in the Nomad, as all things being even close, I don't like that rising top tube...plus having two Intense bikes makes a third even more special :)

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
robbieracer said:
I am very interested to read what you saw as the differences between the Nomad and the 6.6.

The only direct comparison I have seen was in Dirt Magazine. They clearly disliked the cable mounting system on the 6.6, and it implied that the 6.6 is a lot heavier, which is not the case at all. At least they did test both with the same fork, and stem/bar combo, which is essential to see where any differences might be.

I have a 5.5 which is a very lively longish travel trail bike ( I would not call it all mountain, when you see the trails here in NZ) and a Socom ( which it turns out is dramatically more manouverable and fun than my M3 was, and just as stable!).
I assume the 6.6 feels half way between the two, where its geometry etc places it?

Anyhow, if you are able to list the similarities and differences it would be fascinating.
Personally I am not interested in the Nomad, as all things being even close, I don't like that rising top tube...plus having two Intense bikes makes a third even more special :)
I will write up my observations on the differences between the two bikes when I find a bit of time.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
one more question guys. on the large, the seattube is 21 inches. that seems huge, even for somene thats 6'1. the medium has the 17 inch seattube. i'm just trying to get a better idea of what would fit best. i know at 6'1 everyone would say large, i guess i just can't get over the height of the seatbube. also, does anyone have pictures of the stealth or gloss black. much appreciated.

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
jpk1080 said:
one more question guys. on the large, the seattube is 21 inches. that seems huge, even for somene thats 6'1. the medium has the 17 inch seattube. i'm just trying to get a better idea of what would fit best. i know at 6'1 everyone would say large, i guess i just can't get over the height of the seatbube. also, does anyone have pictures of the stealth or gloss black. much appreciated.
The med 6.6's seattube is not 17", it is 19". The med Uzzi VPX's seattube is 17"....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmm. i wonder if the new ones then are 21 inch or what. on their site it is listed as 21. justaanuthabika do you mind me asking how tall you are and what kind of riding you do. thanks dude.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.