Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the recent posts on MTBR and comments about the test rider photos, DH racing etc. I wanted to let you know my thoughts on the intended use and set up for the Mojo...

First, no forks with over 6" of travel please. The front end strength is well matched to a Fox 36 for instance, but not a Fox 40. We are trying to make sure the frame is as strong or stronger than the fork.

The test riders (jumping and racing DH etc.) are seeing very good performance out of the current parts, but I'd probably be more conservative than they are. These guys volunteered and said that's what they'd be doing anyway, signed releases etc. The idea is to test near the limits and refine the Mojo so the average rider can get trouble free performance for years. So, I'm not encouraging people to fly off cliffs.... Even if the equipment holds up you're bound to jack yourself up after enough trys. That will def cut short your riding time, perhaps dramatically :eekster:

If you like to push the limits here's some real info: the Mojo and Mojo SL front end has been designed to withstand a force of 1000 lbs at the front axle on the size small, more (up to 1300 lbs) on the larger frames. So... it's pretty strong compared to most 5 - 6 lb / 5.5" travel frames. Many of those would fold the down tube at 700 - 900 lbs.

We've tested well designed 6 - 7 lb aluminum frames in the 1000 lb strength range.

Hope this info is helpful!

Hans

·
Mojo0115
1,667 Posts
Thanks for the update Hans!

One question about the Fox 36 (and forks like a Lyrik). When the Mojo was first released the Fox 36 was a 150mm for, now it is a 160mm fork. is the difference of 5.9inches to 6.3inches a concern to you from an "intended use" perspective?

I just added a Lyrik 2step coil to my Mojo and am greatly looking forward to seeing how it performs compared the the Pace RC41 Fighter.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Thanks for the post...since you're probably referring to the comments I was making. Wasn't trying to stir up the hornet's nest but it has been going around MTBR than the Mojo was "ok" for DH. Don't know if you guys have received this feedback...but it seems like people either love the Mojo....or despise it for whatever reason. Personally, I think it's because the Mojo has received such great reviews that it's an easy target.....for the haters. :thumbsup: "DH" is user defined and although someone may say "I ran the Mojo on DH shuttles", that doesn't mean the same thing as "it's a DH bike".

I don't think it was wrong for people to push the boundaries of the design (i.e. pix of your test rider) but there has to be well defined limits and this is exactly what was needed...."the Mojo is stong.....tested as strong or stronger than bikes in it's CATEGORY". That's the key..... :)

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
This should set derby's constant plugging of the Mojo as a DH-able bike to rest once and for all.

Unfortunately, his posts have made Ibis and unchecked lofty claims a running joke. Cut those and what is left behind is some cutting edge tech and a nice ride within its intended usage.

And to be honest, it absolutely did appear Ibis was endorsing this, not only due to derby's claims, but claims that Hans' own bike is used for this purpose:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=360548

derby said:
Durability? Hans of Ibis has posted that the Mojo has been control tested to be "as strong as a Nomad or Heckler in the small and medium sizes and as strong as a VPFree in the large and extra-large sizes". There are riders who have extreme trail and jump tested it and confirmed the Mojo's extreme AM and Freeride durability. 160mm travel 36mm forks are an Ibis Mojo factory build option.
Now this thread posted by Hans himself displays how a Mojo is being used, while not providing any disclaimer of usage limitations. IMO, irresponsible (I was sent a PM by Hans implying I wasn't being truthful, despite being fairly respectful with my comments on this board), while the company is posting pics of DH and FR usage. I saved a screenshot of that post in case it gets altered. I think Hans forgot he posted this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=352230

Also look no further than this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=3789077&postcount=17

derby said:
There are Mojo riders competing with it in DH. Do a search.

Ibis doesn't limit it's use. There is no rider weight limit either.
Hans, if you want to make friends and avoid lawsuits, don't pm and flame members who are actually not bashing your designs, but saying the EXACT SAME THING you posted above. PM persons like derby who are going unchecked, and stop posting pictures of the bikes being DH'd and FR'd, even if they are cool. They are simply not responsible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Hans, if you want to make friends and avoid lawsuits, don't pm and flame members who are actually not bashing your designs, but saying the EXACT SAME THING you posted above. PM persons like derby who are going unchecked, and stop posting pictures of the bikes being DH'd and FR'd, even if they are cool. They are simply not responsible.
Jerk_Chicken,

Why do you feel the need to you use the word "lawsuit" in your post?
I respect Hans for being very active on the Ibis forum. It fact it is one reason I have decided my next bike will be an Ibis.
Owning a 07 Specialized Enduro SL and, lets see I am on my fourth rear shock. Live and learn I guess. If you check the Specialized fourm one will see hundreds of complaints about their in house suspension components. What you will not see is one explaination from a Specialized rep. on the forum or on their web site or even from the LBS why all the problems.
All that will happen when using the L word is Hans will stop posting.
With your "Dave Turner by line" I am surprised you took that stance.:confused:

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
This should set derby's... did appear Ibis was endorsing this, not only due to derby's claims, but claims that Hans' own bike is used for this purpose....Now this thread posted by Hans himself displays..... I was sent a PM by Hans implying .... I think Hans forgot he posted this....Hans, if you want to....
Hey Chicken Jerk, Your post is so convoluted! Hans this, Derby that, Ibis yada yada, and links and quotes placed here and there that don't have much to do with the wild and convoluted assertions that precede them. I'm glad to see your next post about judges and lawsuits and money cleared it all up though :rolleyes:

·
antipodean
32 Posts
Hey Jerk Chicken,

Whats jerking your chain? A couple of guys ride hard on their bikes. Anyone would think they had hucked off a 20 foot drop. I have read the threads and no where have I seen the mojo recommended as a DH rig. Some people use them, so what get over it. All mountain/light freeride is what I would call those photos. All Han's said was Hey guys check these pic's out.

OK Derby loves his bike. Obviously you love yours. Looking at the Turner boards Turner guys love to talk up Turners even more than Derby talks up Ibis and make sporadic incursions onto other boards to rape and pillage.

I have just built up a mojo with an AM build (pikes and XT AM wheelset) and i am looking for stuff to launch off just like the pics. All I really need to say is the bike is very very very good.

IF I BREAK IT I WILL BUY ANOTHER!

BTW have you ridden one? (Disclaimer I haven't ridden a Turner but plenty ALU 4bars).

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I guess you didn't read that the owner of Ibis is addressing the people that hang out at this board recommending it for DH. I don't think any non-owners did that.

You can address Hans about any other questions.

PS- maybe you should read my posts about Ibis on this forum. They are generally positive about the bikes themselves.

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
I guess you didn't read that the owner of Ibis is addressing the people that hang out at this board recommending it for DH. I don't think any non-owners did that.

You can address Hans about any other questions.

PS- maybe you should read my posts about Ibis on this forum. They are generally positive about the bikes themselves.
Now maybe I understand: perhaps it is your thinking that is convoluted. You seem to think that Derby owns Ibis. LOL. He owns one bike, not the company.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
No, I know Derby doesn't work for Ibis. Again, Hans asked me a question via PM, and I answered it quite specifically. He wanted to know who the people are that are claiming the Mojo can be DH'd and I posted that as well as his own posts that to any person shopping around, would put the pieces together and think the bike is DHable, as well as recommended for DH, without restriction.

·
antipodean
32 Posts
No he is not recommending it for DH and if he did please show me exactly where he has, cause as far as I can see he has only posted pic's showing a guy jumping. If you took the guy's full face helmet off no one would have blinked.

In fact this thread starts with Han's laying down a general set of guidelines on bike setup. If the frame is stronger than the fork, wheels and components then the limits will be defined by other factors than the frame. I don't know, What can you do with 6 inch's?

Seems to me you have a problem with Derby my friend.( your not a post stalker are you:eek: ) Maybe less time posting and more riding is in order.
What's the line? Ride More Work Less;)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
JC, Didn't mean to flame you, I thought it was a straight ahead question. Where did we say we think the Mojo is good for DH? I can't think of anywhere. It's not on our website, it's not in any of the press that I can recall, I didn't even think it was on the forum from Ibis. You also wrote the above quote after I PM'd you and told you specifically that we don't say it's good for DH. What's up with that? I also PM'd Derby and mentioned the same thing.

Perhaps the photos are being taken as an endorsement.. To put that in context, I posted them when there were several people questioning the strength of the frame, in particular the swingarm. There were posts like "I just don't want to have to worry about every 2ft drop" So I explained in detail about the swingarms, but the photos tell the story much better.

Here is in the most straight forward way I can think of saying it:

We (Ibis Cycles, Inc.) and our employees, dealers and distributors, DO NOT claim the intended use of the Mojo is down hill racing.

Is that crystal clear?

In my estimation a good DH bike for a rough course weighs in at about 35 - 40 lbs and has huge tires, super wide beefy rims and a big bad fork on it for hitting bowling ball size rocks and surviving big drops etc.

My bike weighs 22.4 lbs and has 2.0 tires on it. It's fun to ride and goes fast. I ride it about 2 - 3 hours a day during the week. I have no idea where the notion that it was being used for DH came from.

Last thing, I've never flamed anyone in my life. It takes considerable self control at times, but so far so good ;)

Hans

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
No, I know Derby doesn't work for Ibis.
Yet you quote Derby when complaining about Hans and link to things Derby said when complaining about what Hans said. You even write:
Jerk_Chicken said:
And to be honest, it absolutely did appear Ibis was endorsing this, not only due to derby's claims, but claims that Hans' own bike is used for this purpose:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=360548
That link does not qoute Hans or Ibis. It only has Derby quoting Hans as saying the Mojo has tested "as strong as a Nomad or Heckler in the small and medium sizes and as strong as a VPFree in the large and extra-large sizes".

Jerk_Chicken said:
Again, Hans asked me a question via PM, and I answered it quite specifically. He wanted to know who the people are that are claiming the Mojo can be DH'd and I posted that as well as his own posts that to any person shopping around, would put the pieces together and think the bike is DHable, as well as recommended for DH, without restriction.
As far as I can see Derby and ddraewwg have used DH and Mojo in the same sentence, but not Hans or any one from the company, Ibis.

Fess up Jerk Chicken, you have confounded a perfectly legitimate and useful thread.

Jerk_Chicken said:
We can hope.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The last time I was riding with a guy on a Turner spot, I had to wait at the bottom of the mountain for him, and we ride the same style, and are at a similar fitness level.
So my dilligent scientific test proved to me that it was this MIGHTY FINE mountain bike that was the difference! And it just looks so much hotter than the SPOT! In fact, I had a really cute hottie tell me that my bike was SEXY!
So one more aspect added to the Mojo! You can pick up women with them!
Get off your keyboards and RIDE YOUR BIKES!
And go jerk your chicken dude! .......JUST JOKING! I just had to run with that, cause it was there! Sorry! We all have one thing that links us, our passion to ride! It really doesn't matter what we ride, as long as we ride!
I love these forums! It gives us something to do during a blizzard!
Just like my name says.... IBISROX!

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
You should get your story straight

noshortcuts said:
As far as I can see Derby and ddraewwg have used DH and Mojo in the same sentence, but not Hans or any one from the company, Ibis.

Fess up Jerk Chicken, you have confounded a perfectly legitimate and useful thread.
because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Read this thread and you'll see exactly WHO is mentioning using the Mojo for DH

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3788071#poststop

Don't even try to lump me into the "he said it's good for DH" category. I actually disputed the fact that Ibis is recommending the Mojo for anything even remotely close to DH. JC mentioned it....I questioned it and Derby backed up his statement. This is obviously a dispute between JC and Derby which I was brought into. Personally, I agree with JC (as most people do ) that the bike is not DHable. I DO NOT agree with how he is handling his dispute with Ibis though because Derby is making these ridiculous claims. And JC has no right to confront Ibis for claims that their customers are making. I don't know where Derby is getting his info from but clearly this statement:

"There are Mojo riders competing with it in DH. Do a search.

Ibis doesn't limit it's use. There is no rider weight limit either."

is what I disputed the most. First off, Ibis DOES limit it's use and he should not go on speaking on behalf of Ibis and anyone believing that is a nut job. I don't know what Derby is thinking honestly. How he ever got into his mind that Ibis does not limit it's use is way beyond me. Go on reading through that post and you'll see exactly what I think.

This whole debate is getting stupid IMO and Hans must be thinking the same but I had to set the story straight....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.