Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Speed freak
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Felt Nine Race 2008 with a integrated Cane Creek headset. I am wondering if there is a way to still use a Chris King headset? I have been told that its supposed to be impossible and since I never take no for an answer I want to find out if any of you know a way?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
It's impossible to use a "normal" CK headset. Unless you want to press adapting shims into your headtube first. I had a friend do that on an old Giant XTC1 and they creaked all the time.

Have some patience and wait for the soon-to-be-released Chris King Inset.

This is all assuming your Felt uses the Zero Stack standard (44.0mm OD headcups). I have no idea about that.

EDIT: It appears from the Felt website that the Nine Race used a cup-less integrated headset with drop-in bearings. In that case, you'll not be able to make a CK headset work at all in that bike.

read here...
Chris King hates internal headsets!

·
Professional Crastinator
6,390 Posts
No point... you can't see it.
(I'm soooo not helpful - sorry)

-F

·
Registered
237 Posts
No, you won't be able to use the CK headset on that frame, but the Cane Creek IS-8 on my CX bike has served me for years with no maintenance. If you feel that you need some bling connecting your fork to your headtube, Cane Creek makes an integrated version of their 110 in a few colors.

·
The Dog.
959 Posts
justinb said:
No, you won't be able to use the CK headset on that frame, but the Cane Creek IS-8 on my CX bike has served me for years with no maintenance. If you feel that you need some bling connecting your fork to your headtube, Cane Creek makes an integrated version of their 110 in a few colors.
Agreed...then you'll have a functional headset holding your steerer too! Not just a chris king o ring.

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Euro Trash said:
I have a Felt Nine Race 2008 with a integrated Cane Creek headset. I am wondering if there is a way to still use a Chris King headset? I have been told that its supposed to be impossible and since I never take no for an answer I want to find out if any of you know a way?
If it has the ZS-2 headset like my Giant did, then you can run a CK with the appropriate adapters.

I still have my adapters. I didn't have any creaking issues with mine for the short time that I rode it with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts