Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an Evil Insurgent V1 (set up with a DH focus with Cushcore and DH Casing tires) that I love but am looking to replace.

Has anyone ridden both the Wreckoning V3 and the Insurgent MX or are they too new? I typically ride lift-served bike park and shuttled enduro trails 50/50 with a few epic long climbs to access big rocky enduro descents thrown in on occasion.

My main trail is a shuttled 20-mile trail, the first half is super rocky rough enduro trail however the second half (10 miles) is more XC/trail orientated, my insurgent, is a blast on both sections and great at popping off of rocks, super playful, easy throw around corners and into a manual even when the trail is flatter.

Just curious if the MX Insurgent is going to still be as fun on the tamer trails and if the wreckoning is the better all-rounder!? Seems like most reviews are saying the Insurgent MX is, even more, DH focused than the Wreckoning but unsure how great it'd be as an all arounder.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It's the same bike with different rear wheel size. The Insurgent is more agile, corners better and is easier to ride off the back in the steeps. The wrecker is all out faster on flat sections and in the rough. I prefer the Insurgent but both bikes are great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
r and is easier to ride off the back in th
It's the same bike with different rear wheel size. The Insurgent is more agile, corners better and is easier to ride off the back in the steeps. The wrecker is all out faster on flat sections and in the rough. I prefer the Insurgent but both bikes are great.
That's actually really helpful...the more I think about it my terrain involves a LOT of rough (very rocky, baby heads etc) and not a ton of super steep, DH track level terrain so I'm probably better off with the Wreckoning.

Any sense which one is the better climber, both short technical climbs (like Sedona for ex) and long fire road grinding? Probably the Wreckoning?

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's actually really helpful...the more I think about it my terrain involves a LOT of rough (very rocky, baby heads etc) and not a ton of super steep, DH track level terrain so I'm probably better off with the Wreckoning.

Any sense which one is the better climber, both short technical climbs (like Sedona for ex) and long fire road grinding? Probably the Wreckoning?
I live in sedona and currently prefer the 27.5 wheel on short punchy ups as it accelerates better. The smaller wheel is also easier the navigate in tight switchbacks. For longer seated climbs the Wrecker holds momentum better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's the wrecker front end with a revised rear to run the 27.5.
Ya i'm pretty sure it's just the swingarm and an angleset from works. I'm wondering the same thing as the original poster. Currently on an insurgent with an 11.6 and a zeb. It would be really interesting to see if it would be possible to buy an insurgent then get a wreckoning swingarm later if the MX wheel thing didn't work out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really leaning towards the Insurgent MX as it seems like it would be the most fun for Bike Park Jumps/Berms and would be more playful....I absolutely LOVE my Gen1 Insurgent and want to keep as much of the same feel as possible.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Does the Insurgent V1 count as a big bike? I pedal the Insurgent V1 with DH casing front and rear + cushcore on 20+ mile rides weekly and it's no problem.
The old Insurgent is a smaller bike overall and has less travel. The longer travel on the new bike might not hold you back much on long rides compared to the V1 but the longer cockpit and wheelbase might change how you feel once the miles start adding up if you are doing a lot of climbing. I would suggest sitting on one if you can.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I'd assume the Wreckoning was a little better allrounder, but it's probably contextual really.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts