Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am converting an instinct BC into an instinct, sorta maybe.
I have both rocker arms, but I would like to ask those of you with real quality time on both whether it is actually worth it to buy a new shock, or if I should just run it at 155 with the BC rocker. Is the shorter travel that much of a climbing improvement, or will I not notice?
I would gain the ride 9, so that might have an effect?
Thanks in advance, it could save me some good coin.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think the bike actually moves through its travel better in the 140mm version. That and Ride-9 in neutral is noticeable.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Can you describe a bit more of what you are feeling?
More mid-stroke support, more anti-squat?
More progressive at end of stroke?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also currently going through this upgrade and am curious as well whether it's worth the change. It's a bit of an expense and I'm wondering if it's worth switching the 8.5" x 2.5" DPX2 for the 210x55 X2.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the swap, but I probably won’t be able to properly thrash it for a few months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got ya - I think I'm going to pull the trigger as well. It's a bit of an expense so I probably won't be going back, and won't be able to ride for another few months as well. I'd hate to miss the travel if there's that much of a difference.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,424 Posts
I am going to be dropping my BC to a 140/140, but I am keeping the non Ride-9 link setup. It will be interesting to compare the ride dynamics of the shorter travel, though I worry about BB height. One of my favorite things about the BC is that the BB feels high for climbing, so it's a great backcountry rig.
I didn't want to sell the bike, and felt like having two 160mm bikes would be redundant. Fingers crossed it climbs better than the new Altitude.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll be curious to hear how the BC rocker works with the 210x 55 shock.

·
29ers Forever
3,424 Posts
I’ll be curious to hear how the BC rocker works with the 210x 55 shock.
I will be sure to give an update on how it rides once my home trails dry.

·
29ers Forever
3,424 Posts
If I'm right, the BC link is the R9 link fixed on position 1. That's the configuration I'm riding nowadays.
That's basically the slackest setting. As a 140 bike it should be a 66* head angle, 74.5* Seat tube angle, and a BB drop of 36mm. Compared to the BC Edition, which has a HTA of 65.9*, STA of 74.4*, and a BBD of 19mm.
It should have the same geometry, just with shorter legs. I am really curious how it will handle the local trails. I bet I will need to ride it a bit more cautiously over roots and rocks but it should be a little more responsive and confident in the corners.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It should have the same geometry, just with shorter legs. I am really curious how it will handle the local trails. I bet I will need to ride it a bit more cautiously over roots and rocks but it should be a little more responsive and confident in the corners.
I can say that after I changed I had a few pedal strikes for the first two weeks or so, then got (mostly) used to it. On the good side, felt the bike more stable overall. The first, I noticed immediatly; the second, I barely noticed until I realized I was jumping stuff that scared me two weeks prior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can say that after I changed I had a few pedal strikes for the first two weeks or so, then got (mostly) used to it. On the good side, felt the bike more stable overall. The first, I noticed immediatly; the second, I barely noticed until I realized I was jumping stuff that scared me two weeks prior.
You're saying that the NON BC edition gave you more confidence and stability than the BC??

·
Registered
402 Posts
You're saying that the NON BC edition gave you more confidence and stability than the BC??
I don't have the BC edition. I just moved from position 7 to position 1, which will be roughly the same (~8mm in length) as switching shocks from a 8"x2.5" to a 210x55mm and keeping the BC link, which in turn is identical to the ride-9 except that it's fixed on position 1.

The BC edition has BBD of 19mm, while the regular edition in position 1 has BBD=37mm. Both have about the same HTA. The lower BB will yield more stability with the cost of a few pedal strikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have the BC edition. I just moved from position 7 to position 1, which will be roughly the same (~8mm in length) as switching shocks from a 8"x2.5" to a 210x55mm and keeping the BC link, which in turn is identical to the ride-9 except that it's fixed on position 1.

The BC edition has BBD of 19mm, while the regular edition in position 1 has BBD=37mm. Both have about the same HTA. The lower BB will yield more stability with the cost of a few pedal strikes.
Ah okay, I thought you were speaking to the suspension travel/length, not the ride-9 positions. That makes more sense in context now lol

·
29ers Forever
3,424 Posts

My local trails are still mud/ice/snow so I won't be able to give this bike a proper test anytime soon, but it feels 90% identical to the BC edition. I think since the HA and STA are basically the same between the two, the biggest change comes from the different feeling of the shock, the slightly different progression as a result of changing the rear wheel trajectory, and negligible weight loss.
I do worry about pedal strikes, but I think once I put some rides in and tune the new shock and fork rebound/air/compression settings I will sort that out. On the other hand, It feels so responsive now, even just darting around cars in the parking lot.
I'd also argue that it looks better in this current form than it did as a long travel bike.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've swapped my Instinct back and forth between BC and regular. I currently have mine back to BC. I do not notice any climbing advantage in the shorter shock setup (I've tried ride 9 positions 1, 2 & 5), other than the slight weight savings of the shock and the more noticeable weight savings of a Fox 34 vs Fox 36, though I do prefer the lower bottom bracket with the shorter shock for flow type trails. Overall, I prefer the stiffness of the Fox 36 over the weight savings of the 34, so if I ever decide to go back to 140 travel in the rear, I'd just replace the air spring in my 36 fork with a 140 or 150 travel spring. But I also prefer the performance of the DPX to the DPS shock and it doesn't seem worth while to me to buy a new shock and swap my air spring just to get the lower bottom bracket, so I'm planning to leave mine in BC mode.

·
29ers Forever
3,424 Posts
I took the Instinct out for its first trail ride today, and I think I got a small indication of how the short travel setup handles in its permanent "slack" mode.
Yes, I am very out of shape, this was my third ride this season, so taking that into account, it climbs as well as the BC did. Since the bike is still just as heavy, and has the exact same geometry, it feels just as sluggish on the climbs. To make matters worse, I noticed a lot more suspension bob in the rear and needed to use the lockout on that bike for the very first time.
I took it to the network where I was worried about pedal strikes, and so far so good, no pedal strikes to report, but where the bike shines is in the flow, smooth downhill sections where it feels much more lively and playful.

So in short, climbing is the same, but it descends better in some instances. I still need to fine tune my suspension and get in shape, but I'm torn on if the fun, poppy feeling is worth keeping this bike instead of maybe getting a 130/120mm travel bike next year. If I want a big, burly bike feel, I'm not sure why I wouldn't just grab the Altitude, and if I wanted a light and lively bike for the climbs, I have a somewhat capable hardtail.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts