Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am converting an instinct BC into an instinct, sorta maybe.
I have both rocker arms, but I would like to ask those of you with real quality time on both whether it is actually worth it to buy a new shock, or if I should just run it at 155 with the BC rocker. Is the shorter travel that much of a climbing improvement, or will I not notice?
I would gain the ride 9, so that might have an effect?
Thanks in advance, it could save me some good coin.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think the bike actually moves through its travel better in the 140mm version. That and Ride-9 in neutral is noticeable.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Can you describe a bit more of what you are feeling?
More mid-stroke support, more anti-squat?
More progressive at end of stroke?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also currently going through this upgrade and am curious as well whether it's worth the change. It's a bit of an expense and I'm wondering if it's worth switching the 8.5" x 2.5" DPX2 for the 210x55 X2.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the swap, but I probably won’t be able to properly thrash it for a few months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got ya - I think I'm going to pull the trigger as well. It's a bit of an expense so I probably won't be going back, and won't be able to ride for another few months as well. I'd hate to miss the travel if there's that much of a difference.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,418 Posts
I am going to be dropping my BC to a 140/140, but I am keeping the non Ride-9 link setup. It will be interesting to compare the ride dynamics of the shorter travel, though I worry about BB height. One of my favorite things about the BC is that the BB feels high for climbing, so it's a great backcountry rig.
I didn't want to sell the bike, and felt like having two 160mm bikes would be redundant. Fingers crossed it climbs better than the new Altitude.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll be curious to hear how the BC rocker works with the 210x 55 shock.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,418 Posts
I’ll be curious to hear how the BC rocker works with the 210x 55 shock.
I will be sure to give an update on how it rides once my home trails dry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts