Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I’m trying to change my airsleeve’s seals and can’t seem to figure out how to get the bearing cups out of the bottom of the shock. Without removing these I can’t remove the air sleeve. Has anyone been able to get them off and how? Thanks for any suggestions.

Matt

21D6BC0C-3C80-4A97-B73F-76C4252EE292.jpg

61A5DB35-5E55-4EDA-A863-1FEEC3BAA484.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
You'll need a blind hole bearing puller. I ran into the same issue while I was on a destination trip in Durango, CO. Luckily a local small shop guy (Diaz) had one on hand and hooked me up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh, so much for air sleeve maintenance being a simple job. Thanks for the info, I'll have to start calling local shops to see if they have one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Can the eyelet bearings be replaced with a standard Fox 5 piece hardware kit? I measure it to be 40mm between the link, I don’t have any digital calipers so does that sound about right?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take some good pics when I service mine as soon as my blind bearing puller set arrives.

Thanks! This would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea how to use a blind hole bearing puller. I had a shop pull mine since I needed the shock ready for a Moab trip and didn’t have time to get the puller purchased. Next time I service the shock I’ll have the right tools though:thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 1220408

See here.

Also:

And this

Useful for pivot bearing service...

Thanks for posting this! I was looking at the puller sets and it seems like all the sets have a collet in the 8-11 mm range. That’s the only one we’d need to pull these cups and bearings if I’m understanding this correctly. I just want to make sure I buy the correct set. Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bumping this as this was the best thread I could find on this subject. Bought a used shock that came from a RM so I needed to get these out. Spoiler, it was a complete nightmare.

But I got some tips here. I started trying to pull out the sleeves without getting the bearings out. This was impossible without the RM special tool. So I followed the tip from above and got a cheapo blind bearing puller from Amazon. I don't know if this would have been a walk in the park with a quality puller, but this turned out to take some hours. It slipped out without moving it one mm. I went up a size and forced in a larger size puller, and after many attempts and a heatgun I got the bearing to the edge, but beyond that point I could not get it out anymore. After twenty attempts I gave up and changed strategy. The gap allowed me to easily saw off the sleeve behind the bearing. With one bearing out the other one was easy to get out with a hammer and a punch.

But the sleeves turned out to be pretty much stuck, as it turned out they were not inserted with any grease. Tried the puller, but the slide hammer was either not heavy enough or it was just way too stuck. In the end the gap between the sleeves was enough to get a screwdriver in there and punch out one sleeve. Fortunately the goods of the sleeve is quite thick, so I could do it without damaging the shock eyelet.

Long story short; if this happened again I would just dremel or saw one sleeve off and punch out the sawed off sleeve with a screwdriver. This would be a 10 minute job, not an entire evening. If you have a better blind bearing puller and the sleeves were inserted with grease you might be lucky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts