Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Ragley Big Wig as my main bike. Having broken my main bike earlier in year I want to get a not terrible expensive backup bike.

I have been looking at the Instigator as it can be run single speed, I have seen people run them 26", 26+, 27.5, 27.5+, semi fat and 24 fat which I like. I want to use it for single speed mountain biking, jibbing, maybe some bikepacking and maybe some bike path riding and gravel with the wife.

What do people think of the Instigator for this? I know it won't be perfect for bikepacking or gravel. I was thinking of having the option of suspension fork and a Surly rigid fork (for gravel and bikepacking). Then building a 26in set of wheels (possible with a Profile coaster rear hub), a plus set of wheels and a 24in fattie set. I am trying to figure out if I should look for a L or XL at 6'2".

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think the Instigator would be a great choice for what you're talking about. I've been looking for a size L Instigator frameset for some time now as well, but they're scarce. Seems like the smaller sizes are around moreso.

·
Registered
291 Posts
just took my gator to moab for the whole enhilada / captain ahab etc. brilliant bike, runnin 275 front at 160mm and 26" rear with a 2* angleset. im 6' even on a L, you should go xl

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At your size, you want an xl Krampus! I was going to suggest a karate monkey but you are will into 29+ sizing.
I really want something with smaller wheels then 29in. I ride a 20in BMX probably as much as MTB and I want something to throw around in the woods. 29+ doesn't really fit into that for me.

But I am open to suggestions for bikes that can take 26in, 27.5x2.6 and 24x4 with short chainstays, are very rugged, able to run a 142mm rear hub and can do single speed with no added tensioner.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just took my gator to moab for the whole enhilada / captain ahab etc. brilliant bike, runnin 275 front at 160mm and 26" rear with a 2* angleset. im 6' even on a L, you should go xl
My biggest worry with the XL is the standover. I really don't like bikes with a high standover.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i havent looked at the standover diff between l and xl but as a play bike L could work. thats what mine is really, i have a kona honzo as well and the surly is more nimble/happy to pop off every root and rock. depends what you want out of it i guess

·
Your bike sucks
2,553 Posts
I'm around your height and I had a large. 60mm stem. It was a good fit but certainly not a long, stretched fit. I really enjoyed the bike.

I've been on a long-long groove lately but I wouldn't hesitate to get a large again provided that was what I was seeking: shorter reach/tt for agility and that sort of maneuverability. Standover was fine.

I could make a strong case for an XL @ 6'2'' but you have to deal with 20.8 ST and about 1.5'' more standover.

For reference:

had a XL Ibis HD3 w/ 50mm stem for a decent fit (25+ ETT, medium-long reach)
have a L Kona Wozo w/ 35 stem for a SUPERB fit (26! ETT, long reach)
just ordered a XL Transition Patrol to keep it long and get close to the Wozo (25+ TT, looooong reach)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm around your height and I had a large. 60mm stem. It was a good fit but certainly not a long, stretched fit. I really enjoyed the bike.

I've been on a long-long groove lately but I wouldn't hesitate to get a large again provided that was what I was seeking: shorter reach/tt for agility and that sort of maneuverability. Standover was fine.

I could make a strong case for an XL @ 6'2'' but you have to deal with 20.8 ST and about 1.5'' more standover.

For reference:

had a XL Ibis HD3 w/ 50mm stem for a decent fit (25+ ETT, medium-long reach)
have a L Kona Wozo w/ 35 stem for a SUPERB fit (26! ETT, long reach)
just ordered a XL Transition Patrol to keep it long and get close to the Wozo (25+ TT, looooong reach)
Cool thanks. I think for a fun backup bike a large seems like it would be fine. My last bike was a XL Niner WFO9 and it only had a 450mm reach vs 444 on the large Instigator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.