Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...sucked.

Ok I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but I've taken off the regular links and installed before and that was an easy process. However, I ran into some difficulty installing these.

The issue was the top bolts. First off you have to have the Lopes link basically in position before tightening everything down. So the first problem was the top bolts on the rear triangle...basically since everything had to be in place, the tightening process required 1/4 turns of my allen wrench (as opposed to the regular links where you can tighten in full circles since the triangle doesn't have to be mounted). Sure not a biggie. The main issue was the top bolt on the seatube (non-drive side). The drive side bolted in fine, but the f'ing non-drive side bolt had to be pushed around the frame because I couldn't move the triangle as forward since the link prevents forward movement compared to the regular links (the part with the 'lopes' logo only pivots so far down on the frame). So I finally squeezed the bolt in after pulling the triangle piece, while holding the rear triangle up with my leg, whist holding the plastic piece on the bearing because it wouldn't fit if I tried to bolt from outside the triangle.

Regardless, it's in there, chipped the paint on the triangle and stripped the bolt in the process. This thing better be worth it, cuz I don't think it's coming out now.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
That one bolt is a little difficult. I put that one in first, with the other end loose, and was able get it in place. I had to very carefully thread it in by hand. I cleaned the bolt and put plenty of Locktite on it to assist in threading it in. Sometimes, you have to remove or loosen up bolts that you already put in, to assist in a difficult side. I hope you enjoy the link!

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
HAHAHAHA! That $hit was FUNNY! ;) What color did you get? Post up some pix. You ain't riding anytime soon anyways.....rain's still a'coming.

You didn't get the blue did you....tell me you didn't. I don't know how you think the blue would look good on your nuclear puke frame. :D :D :D If Ibis had a gold ano, that'd be sweeeeet.....match your hubs too.

Maybe we can ride the peak if the rains stop for 2 days or so.........

·
Ride More Work Less
372 Posts
monkies said:
...and stripped the bolt in the process....
Give Aaron a call at Ibis and he will send you a couple new bolts. My upper bolts were so solidly loctited in that I stripped them and had to dremel a slot into them and use a huge screwdriver to get them out. Aaron sent me 4 new bolts for free.

·
aka übermensch
309 Posts
OK, I didn't want to start my very own Lopes Link thread, so I thought I'd resurrect another one instead. ;)

Got my Lopes Link yesterday. Installed it today, in about 10 minutes. Don't know the reason for the trouble that the OP had. It was simple as hell. I didn't even put it in a stand, left it on the ground and didn't have any problems.

Removed the rear shock bottom eyelet bolt. Let the bike sag to gain access to the bolts on the old links. Removed one side, then the other. Positioned the Lopes Link in the seatstays first, and finger tightened the bolts first and then tightened them down. Grabbed the seat post to raise the bike and positioned the bottom of the Lopes Link and repeated the process with the other bolts. Raised the bike some more to position the shock and reinstalled the bolt. I think it took me longer to type this than it did to do the install.

Glad I got the Link when I did. I've had my bike less than a month and the bearing on the LH side of the original link was starting to work it's way out. Would've had to remove it and Loctite it in if I hadn't gotten my Lopes Link.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10 minutes! Well I said I wasn't the most mechanically inclined but didn't think I was that bad! haha. Seriously, getting the bolt in thru the left side past that rear triangle was a pain because it barely fit around the triangle since the link limits forward movement. Oh well.

By the way, when I took the original bolts off, the LH side bearing on the rear triangle was also loose. Interesting coincidence.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
Can't say mine went in super easily. Found the key was to leave each bolt rather loose until all were starting to thread properly, then tighten all 4 bolts down. If I had even one bolt snugged down even just a bit, the LL wouldn't fit into place in any of the other areas. I also removed the rear shock (not necessary) so as to have a bit more wiggle room to work around.
It's a real snug fit, but I would rather have that then slop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got my Lopes Link today as well, seems the new ones have the slight amount of metal removes from the part that was reported to hit the frame earlier...quite cleanly done.

Install was a cinch and took about 10-15mins as well. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.