Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did some digging and see that there are lots of options for what to use (for rim tape).

But I need to (somewhat sheepishly) ask about how to install tape on fat rims. Have a set of Speedways, for what it's worth (meaning, I'm assuming that the procedure is relatively similar for ANY fat rim).

I see that this area is approximately 50mm:

And I'm guessing that I need to cover the following areas with some kind of tape:

• the 50mm area
• and the occasional outside drill holes (noted with the red circle)

Should I go wider with the tape?

And if I want to be one of the cool kids and run some ribbon or funky color over the holes, is there anything to consider in doing that?

I know...I'm probably overthinking this. But just hoping for some sage wisdom before I screw something up...
Thanks for your advice/input.

Mangoman
Fat Bike Noob

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Take two strips of tape. You can use Hockey tape, Duct tape or other high strength stuff. These tapes also come in some crazy colors, reflective or plain. Just like other rim strips, you want it a bit wider than the space because the tube pressure will push on the tape and bring the edges in a bit. Your first strip should be a little longer than the circumference of the rim, the second a bit longer than the first. Put the two strips together sticky side together and leave a bit of the longer strip sticking out on each end. Then just wrap the tape around the rim. The two together will make an extremely durable strip and because the sticky side is not exposed, it will shed dirt, mud and grime well.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the drill holes on the bead seat. If anything, they'll help keep the tire from rotating on the rim.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
On my Umma's...

...I used a strip of gore-tex from an old pair of army surplus pants and glued the two ends together where they over-lapped at the stem-hole...the pressure of the tube (and the penetration of the stem) holds everything in place. I don't believe the strip was wide enough to cover the small holes near the side-wall...I didn't want to interfere with the bead / rim interface. On my 100's a wide strip of gore-tex was also used, though it was taped in place with clear packing tape...neither set-up is water-proof, but I have not had any issues that I can attribute to water intrusion or to abrasion...yet...

·
Fatback
706 Posts
Huggy Bear rim strips

Just for you guys old enough to remember Starsky and Hutch, here is a completely worthless rim strip that looks awesome though. Damn Right!

As far as actually giving useful info goes, as long as the rim strip is sufficiently wider than the hole, you can tape over it on each side. Just make sure when running low pressure, there is no chance of the rim strip moving around. I would also cover the small holes on the bead seat, small cuts of tape does just fine.

Attachments

·
This place needs an enema
16,532 Posts
thirstywork said:
Just for you guys old enough to remember Starsky and Hutch, here is a completly worthless rim strip that looks awesome though. Damn Right!
R.I.P Huggy Bear!

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
thirstywork said:
Just for you guys old enough to remember Starsky and Hutch, here is a completly worthless rim strip that looks awesome though. Damn Right!

As far as actually giving useful info goes, as long as the rim strip is sufficiently wider than the hole, you can tape over it on each side. Just make sure when running low pressure, there is no chance of the rim strip moving around. I would also cover the small holes on the bead seat, small cuts of tape does just fine.
Fantasy fur rims coming soon to a market near you.

·
Registered
789 Posts
thirstywork said:

Did you cut up your Snuggie to do that?

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks very much guys. I'm headed into town to look for funky accent strip (ribbon, reflective, etc. ... it's a maybe, for now). And the Starsky & Hutch reference isn't lost on me, either—I'm a child of the 70's and darn proud of it!

Again, thanks y'all.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The cut down innertube covers the holes and the spoke nipples - though it is on a 50mm Uma rim. I actually started out without any rimtape, as at such low pressures the innertube does not seem to touch the holes or nipples.

Talking to Jeff Jones the other day about innertubes for the Endomorph - he recommended using a Maxxis 100g 26x1.75/2.1" flyweight tube!! Saves 350g on the DH tubes I'm using. I popped in a Flyweight today - so I'll see how it goes.

·
Home of the Gravedigger
385 Posts
I got some snow camo duct tape from www.tapebrothers.com. Wrapped it around the rim with the sticky side in. Then I just ran some clear packing tape over the sticky side so that it is smooth agains the inner tube. So far it has stayed in place and no flats.

Photobucket

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Initial setup, using Gorilla Tape (this stuff is schtickity!) including some extra tabs that cover the bead seat holes. Tubes and tires are mounted, too.

Mmmmmm....fresh meats for Baby...

·
Registered
465 Posts
rocwandrer said:
To cover big lightening holes drilled all they way through the wall(s) of a rim, or just as a rim strip to cover the spoke nipple holes?
Covers holes and spoke nipples - however I've since discarded this and now run mine without any kind of rimtape - no problems at all.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts