Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the Deore crank off my wife's Pitch and installed a new SLX crank, but now I'm having trouble getting it to shift properly. The old Deore crank had one spacer installed on the drive side, so that's what I did this time, and that's no bueno. I can't get the derailleur to throw the chain far enough to ramp up on to the middle chain ring. Anyone else have this set up? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
hitek79 said:
So I took the Deore crank off my wife's Pitch and installed a new SLX crank, but now I'm having trouble getting it to shift properly. The old Deore crank had one spacer installed on the drive side, so that's what I did this time, and that's no bueno. I can't get the derailleur to throw the chain far enough to ramp up on to the middle chain ring. Anyone else have this set up? Am I missing something?
I have not use this same set up, but I have replaced many crank sets and had little troubble getting the chainline set back up to shift, generally I am upgrading to XT and I will say the better chain rings sure do shift really well .

Stupid question , ---did you make sure the chain rings were on and alighned correctly on the new crank's-?

Also you can generally tell if the chainline is to far away from the derailer because it looks funny .

Can you over throw the derailer and get it to grab the pins ?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kelstr said:
Stupid question , ---did you make sure the chain rings were on and alighned correctly on the new crank's-?

Also you can generally tell if the chainline is to far away from the derailer because it looks funny .

Can you over throw the derailer and get it to grab the pins ?
Chain rings are aligned correctly, and the derailluer looks like it's aligned correctly.

I can get the der to throw the chain almost close enough, but you have to click up to 3 to finally get it to catch the pins. I can adjust the der waaaay out and get them to catch, but then it won't drop back down into the granny ring.

·
No Clue Crew
7,466 Posts
Shouldn't make much difference, but you can go to the Park tools website to see a breakdown of spacer placement. All external BB cranksets I've used have taken one spacer on the drive side, barring e-type der., etc.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
It sounds like it is out alittle to far , I have had to pop in the old right side crank half and measure the old chainrings distance from the derailer , ---then pop back the new set up and compair .
some of these can be off more than they should be and will require different spacing .

I have had some Hammerschmidts that were a pain to get the tabs repaired and get the crank set in nice and centered, I had to make several spacers untill I got one perfect, ------ :madman:

·
No Clue Crew
7,466 Posts
I did gloss over the simple stuff. I assume you torqued each external bearing cap down all the way. I have several sets of SLX cranks. Each time I remove and remount (just did it this weekend), I fully seat the drive-side crankarm with a rubber mallet.

Of course, if it weren't fully seated, you likely wouldn't have gotten the left arm properly mounted, but it's an idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts