Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all...just ordered an xt crankset for my trance x3. I was just curious if it would be safe to install myself or if im better off having the lbs do it, since i wont be able to torque everything exactly to spec ( no torque wrench). Im fairly good with tools, have worked on motorcycles and cars, but never bikes...cant imagine it being too difficult.

I know you need a special tool to remove and install the BB so id have to dish out 20 bucks for a bb tool prior. Will i be able to use this same tool to remove the current BB and crank (Ride XC cranks & x-type BB) The instructions call for correct spacers to be installed.

Anyone who has done this install can you please tell me the proper side and if so, how many spacers are needed. I thought i remember someone posting they installed spacers differently then what the instructions stated. My owners manual does not state if its a 68 or 73mm BB ( im assuming 73). Also wondering if its a Band type or Bracket type... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
217 Posts
If it's a 68mm shell, you need two spacers on the drive side and one on the other. If it's 73mm, just one on the drive side.

Hollowtech 2 cranks are dead easy to fit; once you've got the BB cups in, you just push the spindle through, put the left arm on the end, tighten the end cap (you should've got a little plastic star-shaped tool with your BB tool to do this, but I've found I can get it tight enough with my fingers if you knock the arm on with a rubber hammer), then tighten the two retaining bolts. Buying a torque wrench is a good idea if you plan on doing much wrenching on your own (stems and seat clamps are critical to get torqued properly). If not, if you're friendly with a bike shop, ask if you can borrow theirs after you've put it all together.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.