Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered some new Code RSC Brakes.

From what I have found by googling, is that when installing, if the hoses are too long, I need to make the cuts at the lever end, correct?

Is there a good step by step guide on this? Anything on Youtube that i have missed?

Do I need to buy any extra parts (olive?) to have ready when cutting a hose, or can all parts be reused?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
This was part of my question, do I need to buy this below, and anything else along with it?

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/co...jig-disc-brake-hose-fitting-kit-for-one-brake
new brakes will come with all you need to get the hoses shorter, and you are correct at the lever. You might need to bleed, and you eventually will need to bleed, so buy a bleed kit before you do anything, I'd also recommend a hose cutter, these are cheap and make sure the hose is cut perfectly or you could use a razor blade.

follow this

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I've used that cutter above ^^^. It works great. However, a single edge razor blade can work well to cut the hose too. Hold the hose gently in a pair of pliers (or two shimano bleed blocks, or a V-block, etc) and use the face of the pliers to guide the blade to make a square cut. If the first cut isn't to your liking, take another 1/16" off.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I bought a straight cutter at Lowe's, more than plenty to cut brake hoses and cheaper than a 'bike-specific' tool. Cut at the lever size, and follow the instructions to install the thingamajig olive. You're supposed to use some kind of brake fluid compatible grease on the olive but I went without it and have had no problems so far. You'll need to bleed the brakes yourself or have them bleed.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
I've used a razor blade in the past, but have always had to trim again to clean up the cut. I bought one of these recently to bleed some Hayes brakes I bought. A local shop had one in stock, so I thankfully didn't have to wait to order.

I also have a multi-brand bleed kit I bought years ago that's got all the fittings for most brake brands. I can use the same kit for my Shimano brakes as for my Hayes, or my wife's SRAM brakes. I only had Shimanos at the time I bought it, and knew that would change eventually. I'm glad I got it when I did.

Every brake set I've bought has included the parts necessary to trim the lines (new olive and barb) once. I also buy stuff in full retail packaging, though. All bets are off if you buy grey market/OEM stuff (like off ebay) with whatever packaging the seller decides to give you.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I've used a razor blade in the past, but have always had to trim again to clean up the cut. I bought one of these recently to bleed some Hayes brakes I bought. A local shop had one in stock, so I thankfully didn't have to wait to order.

I also have a multi-brand bleed kit I bought years ago that's got all the fittings for most brake brands. I can use the same kit for my Shimano brakes as for my Hayes, or my wife's SRAM brakes. I only had Shimanos at the time I bought it, and knew that would change eventually. I'm glad I got it when I did.

Every brake set I've bought has included the parts necessary to trim the lines (new olive and barb) once. I also buy stuff in full retail packaging, though. All bets are off if you buy grey market/OEM stuff (like off ebay) with whatever packaging the seller decides to give you.
what bleed kit you use? just recently got some code brakes and I used to have shimano and have their standard shimano bleed kit, now I'm gonna need a bleed edge one, not sure if sram is the best option

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yeah^^^ Reading the specs, they don't sound hard enough to cut cables and housing. If they're really sharp they may cut hydraulic hoses without too much deformation. For cables and housing I'm currently using a Felco C7 cable cutter I got some years ago for sail boat rigging. It's identical to many bike specific tools for cutting cables and housing and similar can be found in the general cable section of hardware stores. These types of cutters are nice it that they prevent the cut ends of cables from fraying and easily handle shift housing. They will crush hoses so I use single edge razor blades as I described earlier.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yeah^^^ Reading the specs, they don't sound hard enough to cut cables and housing. If they're really sharp they may cut hydraulic hoses without too much deformation. For cables and housing I'm currently using a Felco C7 cable cutter I got some years ago for sail boat rigging. It's identical to many bike specific tools for cutting cables and housing and similar can be found in the general cable section of hardware stores. These types of cutters are nice it that they prevent the cut ends of cables from fraying and easily handle shift housing. They will crush hoses so I use single edge razor blades as I described earlier.
Don't knock it until you try it. This tool has a heavy action and cuts brake hoses and cables cleanly and quickly. You're way more likely to damage or deform the house with a lighter use tools like a utility knife or small plyers.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
what bleed kit you use? just recently got some code brakes and I used to have shimano and have their standard shimano bleed kit, now I'm gonna need a bleed edge one, not sure if sram is the best option
Sorry I took so long to respond. This is the kit I bought.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.