Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pics step by step of installing a Marzocchi Drop Off 4 fork? I took the fork off to send it in for service and forgot to take notes when I took the fork off now that I have it back together I have a little play/wiggle in the fork. I want to make sure I have all the pieces in their correct spots before I ride. I am new to mountain biking. Thanks

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
A question...

mac777daddy said:
Does anyone have any pics step by step of installing a Marzocchi Drop Off 4 fork? I took the fork off to send it in for service and forgot to take notes when I took the fork off now that I have it back together I have a little play/wiggle in the fork. I want to make sure I have all the pieces in their correct spots before I ride. I am new to mountain biking. Thanks

Every headset has a "fork crown race" pictured below. Depending on what service you had done, is it possible that Marzocchi took this off your steerer tube?

If it's still on there, then the steps to put your fork back together are:

1. Fork Steerer tube through the head tube of the bike.
2. Add any spacers, the stem and the headset cap.
3. Before you tighten down the stem, tighten the headset cap.
4. Align and tighten the stem.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont recall seeing that piece. Could it be stuck in the throut of the frame? Now that I have the fork on if you stand the bike up you can feel just a little play of the fork moving back and forth in the frame. Its a very slight feeling but you can feel it.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
That piece should be very pressed on the fork. Chances are you didn't take it off when you sent it in to be fixed. You will get slight movement until you tighten the headset.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing was on the fork post when I sent it in so it must be in with the bearing or missing? My headset bolts are tight as they will go but still fill just a tad bit of movement back and forth.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Well I would take it apart because you are missing something, because a headset should never be as tight as you can go.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
The crown race...

mac777daddy said:
Nothing was on the fork post when I sent it in so it must be in with the bearing or missing? My headset bolts are tight as they will go but still fill just a tad bit of movement back and forth.

The crown race is a press fit on the steerer tube of the fork. It's highly unlikely that it would be attached to the bottom headset cup.

I don't understand what you mean by headset bolts? There are stem clamp bolts and there is one headset cap bolt. The headset cap bolt must be tightened before you tighten the stem clamp bolts. Be careful: The headset cap bolt can be over tightened. You're not going to be able to get the bolt to stop turning. The purpose of this bolt is to hold the assembly together and then lock it down with the stem clamp bolts. And as Vtolds said, those shouldn't be tightened down as tight as they can go either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a little play in my headset too,I mean very minimal,I think I need a new,fsa pig?They are cheap though,30 bucks I believe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts