Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey lads, just chasing a bit of advice regarding installing the shock on a demo 7. i'd have the dhx4 out a couple of times and everytime i put it back in, its a huge pain in the ass to get the cone cone washers and spacers to fit in. it takes me around a half hour of messing around to get them all in with the shock, let alone get it all lined up. does anyone have an easy technique of doing this..? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Ray

·
Registered
8 Posts
apply some grease to the cone washer and it will hold them together and allow you to slide the shock down easy..

also you an place a spoke through the shock bolt hole and this will alow you to also slide the shock 3/4 the way down remove spoke and slide the other 1/4 down and slip bolt through

cheers pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
its not a washer as such its more like a cup and cone similar to what is found on V brakes
this allows the shock to be mounted straight (true) in the frame

the grease will help to prevent mud and dust getting in between the cup and cone set up thus preventing the creeking sounds that come form piovts

grease is good for washers?..Put it this way i doubt it will hinder a washers perfromance unless its a spring washer the aplication of grease will allow you to tension something higher
grease will attract mud and dust but we are talking the mount which is no bigger than your thumb nail sandwiged between a cup and cone effect not actualy visable to the eye

·
Registered
8 Posts
it is better to undo the one just above the shock on the seat tube as such you can then pivot the link up nice and easy thats what i do to get mine out you could prob wiggle it out but it will be a tight wiggle to squeeze it through a hole or gap

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
konut said:
ah that might be easier,and what do you do pipes10 to get yours in or out.
i remove the shock from it's mounts, push the rear end of the shock down, front end up, then turn the front end out to the side out of the gap and u can easily figure it out from there...much easier than removing the rear linkage and having to deal with fitting it back up with the conical washers

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
pipes10 said:
i remove the shock from it's mounts, push the rear end of the shock down, front end up, then turn the front end out to the side out of the gap and u can easily figure it out from there...much easier than removing the rear linkage and having to deal with fitting it back up with the conical washers
ah i have tried that but couldnt get the rear to move out of the way enough but looking at your bike i see why,my chainguide limits how far my rear will drop where as you have a reasonable amount of roomage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.