Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard people using PVC to set a crown race...my question is what size PVC pipe works well on a 1 1/8in steerer?

Most of the DIY stores only have 1in 1.5 or 2 inch sizes and my understanding is that these dimensions are the inside diameter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh - got it. I was thinking that people were using the PVC as a direct replacement for the tool - where it meets the top the the race all the way around the steerer.

thanks
 

·
Under Pressure
Joined
·
75 Posts
You could also get the 1.5 and cut 4 slits 5" up from the bottom of the tube and then take a worm clamp and tighten the PVC tube over the stem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
1 1/4" fits over the steertube just fine. Less than a buck for a couple feet and when the edge gets really beat up just cut off the bad section and you have a brand new tool that should last you a really long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,822 Posts
1 1/4" :thumbsup:
I had to pull some off the rafters last night after I couldn't find the length I'd cut before... went missing in the move last year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I do this with motorcycle bearing races all the time. You can get a piece of 1" PVC about 2 inches longer than your steerer tube, cut a slit in it from end to end on just one side. That will allow it to expand slightly over the 1 1/8" steerer tube and still fit the race nice and tight. Then just take a small hammer and lightly tap on the race until it goes home.

Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
I've been using 1 1/4 PVC as well. I made a 10" in piece from scrap to cover all steerer tubes. The scrap I had already had a coupler glued on so at the top it's double strong in the evet I need a hammer. I've put 60 to 80 forks over the past few years on with the same piece. I fing that sliding it up an down by hand without a hammer works well 90% of the time, the other 10%, a good wack takes care of the nasty ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
what ever you're using I suggest turning the fork upside down so that the PVC is the part resting on the ground and then grab the fork and hammer it against the PVC (make sure the PVC is long enough!). Magnesium lowers are fairly strong but you could crack the dropouts if the fork is resting on them when you hammer
 

·
RAKC
Joined
·
7,606 Posts
Probably should have read this prior to changing my headset but my way worked well. Install headset, put forks in frame and used a spare stem cap instead of my good one. Oh and small amount of grease on the steerer. If PVC is enough ill grab a piece for the next time.
Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top