Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just picked up a Monkey Lite carbon lo rise bar, and am hoping to put in on my bike soon. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about carbon bars breaking if you over tighten bolts on the stem/brakes/shifter, and have been told to follow the instructions very carefully. I had planned to pick up a torque wrench to do this, but the instructions that came with the bar didn't mention anything about what torque the bolts should be set up. So, I have a couple questions: 1) is the appropriate bolt torque set by Easton or by the manufacturer of the other components (stem, etc), 2) has anyone ever installed this bar and if so, what torque settings did you use, 3) do i really need a torque wrench for this, or is "hand tight" good enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tanner

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Torque wrench.

TannerWilson said:
Hi, I just picked up a Monkey Lite carbon lo rise bar, and am hoping to put in on my bike soon. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about carbon bars breaking if you over tighten bolts on the stem/brakes/shifter, and have been told to follow the instructions very carefully. I had planned to pick up a torque wrench to do this, but the instructions that came with the bar didn't mention anything about what torque the bolts should be set up. So, I have a couple questions: 1) is the appropriate bolt torque set by Easton or by the manufacturer of the other components (stem, etc), 2) has anyone ever installed this bar and if so, what torque settings did you use, 3) do i really need a torque wrench for this, or is "hand tight" good enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tanner
It is a good idea, however, I do not have one. I do have a ML bar, though.

Tighten the bolts to 1/2 turn before cracking. (Jk.)

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Torque wrench=YES! I have an Easton Mokey Lite SL Carbon Bar, and an Easton EA70 stem, and have always used a torque wrench to tighten it. I don't remember what the torque setting was, because it was not listed anywhere, despite the fact that in the instructions it says: Tighten to what the stem says on it! Or something like that. Call Easton though, they will tell you:

1-800-991-0070

That should be all you need. You can pick up a cheap torque wrench from Home Depot, or you can go to your LBS, and they will have one, and I'm sure they would be more than happy to tighten a few bolts for you.

·
Old Yeller
42 Posts
Instructions for 4 bolt stems taken from Ritchey website:
It is recommended to grease all bolts before tightening and for the four front cap bolts: Tighten the top two bolts first, so that the face plate touches the stem and then torque down the bottom two bolts. This spreads the force down the clamp and not through the middle. Torque spec for each of the four bolts is 35 in/lbs

·
EDR
10,430 Posts
check the stem info for torque spec's...I have a carbon RF Next 31.8mm bar. I do not have a torque wrench. I did install it myself using 'sufficient' torque to keep the clamp from moving. I have never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I have asked Easton about this and was told to follow the stem manufacturers instructions and torque values.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You can do it by feel no prob but don't overtighten like alloy as you can damage the softer carbon. Some stems like race face deus are especially designed to evenly distribute the clamp weight on carbon bars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.