Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to remove the 44 T Turvativ ring and replace it with a 32 T BBG Bashguard since the middle ring I have is 32 T.

I'm also going to get the Blackspire Swinger chainguide to quite down the drive line.

My BB is : Truvativ Stylo 3.3, 68mm/English
My Crankset: Truvativ Stylo 3.3, 175mm, Black, 44/32/22T

I want to remove the ring mostly for clearance. I hate going over logs and digging into the wood with the ring teeth. Other than the damage, when they dig in it throws me off balance and there's a higher chance of falling sideways.

My bike is the Flite AM and will be using it mostly for XC/Aggressive XC with lots of twists and going over obstacles.

Question 1) Exactly which swinger model do I need to get?
I'm guessing the one that attached to the BB.

2) Has anyone installed a bashguard then went back to using the larger ring?

I really don't remember when was the last time I used the large ring but I can imagine is can be useful sometimes.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
1) Exactly which swinger model do I need to get?

I think you mean Stinger.

If you don't have ISCG mounts - and I'm fairly sure you don't - then, yes, you need the BB mount version.

I would imagine a few have, but not many people go back after changing to 2x9 or 1x9. Just hang on to your 44T and refit it if you feel like you're under-geared.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SteveUK said:
1) Exactly which swinger model do I need to get?

I think you mean Stinger.

If you don't have ISCG mounts - and I'm fairly sure you don't - then, yes, you need the BB mount version.

I would imagine a few have, but not many people go back after changing to 2x9 or 1x9. Just hang on to your 44T and refit it if you feel like you're under-geared.
Yeah sorry I meant the Stinger. I was thinking of the swinger shock while typing.

I'm not sure what ISCG mounts are but looking at the BB area I don't see any specific mounts. So probably just the BB mount type.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
Since the Stinger is held by the BB, wouldn't it cause clearance issues since it would push the crankset further out?
There'll be a 2.5mm spacer behind the drive-side bearings - this is part of the external bearings set-up to allow the use of chain guides and e-type derailleurs. When you fit the Stinger you'll put that in behind the bearing cup in place of the 2.5mm spacer.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
Since the Stinger is held by the BB, wouldn't it cause clearance issues since it would push the crankset further out?
It shouldn't push the crank farther out. There should be a spacer on the drive side. Just remove the spacer, and replace it with the Stinger.

I've been running a similar setup on my bike for a couple of years, and had no issues. I've got the bb mount stinger + gamut g25 bash.

When mounting the stinger try not to get any grease on the interface between the stinger, bb shell, and bb. Since it's friction that holds it in place, grease would make the friction less and it might move on you if you clip it on a log or something.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oldskoolbiker said:
It shouldn't push the crank farther out. There should be a spacer on the drive side. Just remove the spacer, and replace it with the Stinger.

I've been running a similar setup on my bike for a couple of years, and had no issues. I've got the bb mount stinger + gamut g25 bash.

When mounting the stinger try not to get any grease on the interface between the stinger, bb shell, and bb. Since it's friction that holds it in place, grease would make the friction less and it might move on you if you clip it on a log or something.
How do you like not having the bigger ring?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
How do you like not having the bigger ring?
I put a 34T on mine, which gives me a little extra, but still nothing compared to a 44T. I don't miss it at all. I even commute to work on that bike sometimes and I have to get going pretty fast to spin out. The added clearance, and smooth bash definitely help in clearing obstacles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.