Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the heck do you install these things?

Mine just fall right out of the hubshell and the metal washers do not fit inside the shell one bit. I assume the washers are meant to hold the caos in place?

Both caps simply do not seem like they seat deep enough in the hubshell to maintain the same width as the 15mm or QR caps.

I have a revelation with 20mm Maxle on order so I can't really tell if they width will work, but I am failing to see how these caps install as tightly as the 15mm caps or maintain the correct width.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
How the heck do you install these things?

Mine just fall right out of the hubshell and the metal washers do not fit inside the shell one bit. I assume the washers are meant to hold the caos in place?

Both caps simply do not seem like they seat deep enough in the hubshell to maintain the same width as the 15mm or QR caps.

I have a revelation with 20mm Maxle on order so I can't really tell if they width will work, but I am failing to see how these caps install as tightly as the 15mm caps or maintain the correct width.
20mm hubs are 110mm wide, not 100mm.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That explains the width. I've only used 15mm before so no comparison. Still can't seat these things for ****.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I followed the instructions from Sun/Ringle without much success.

I was able to seat one end cap and washer.

I am unable to get the metal washer/ring to seat in the brake side of the hub shell.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it to go in? It seems like it just does not fit. The tolerance is so tight I cannot get the ring in evenly.

I'm just using a piece of PVC tubing and mallet as they recommended, but I simply cannot get it in flush with the hub shell

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had trouble getting mine in as well. I ended up using a rigid tube, something to support the other side and a real hammer. It took harder banging than I would generally like to use, and wouldn't have without word from Ringle that I was doing it right, but it worked.

If I was doing it again I might try to rig up some sort of press (c clamp through the spokes?), but the hammer worked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts