Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hikers=SHlT
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the money to buy expensive road shifters, bar-end shifters, etc.. so I used what I had. I basically used a couple cheap 31.8mm seat post clamps, ground down the metal lip inside of them, bored out the threads, and filed a flat spot for the shifter mount. I admit, it does look a little out of place, but they function flawlessly.

I searched all over the net and could barely find any info on how to do this. Maybe this will help someone out in the future. They're Sram X7 9-speed shifters by the way,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks very nice. I've been thinking about putting drops on my commuter as well but got hung up on the price of shifter/brake combo levers. What are the brake levers you're using?

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
Very cool. I ran an 8 speed trigger shifter in the same spot on my 31.8 drop bars for a long time... I got away with it by just using a longer bolt and bending the clamp into a more wide open position. but then you have to bend that longer bolt bolt too, and when you go to tighten it, you're constantly bending the bolt with every twist...if that makes any sense. I got away with it for a few years with no issues, but your solution is definitely more permanent and looks sharp too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
For a while i ran

$13 6 spd sun race friction shifters held on the bar with zip ties. The set up got some good laughs. The set up lasted longer then i thought it would.

·
Hikers=SHlT
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure what kind of response I was going to get. The frame is a Sette Reken mtn frame and the fork is a aluminum Mosso with a short axle to crown. The levers are Tektro RL520's and they work great with BB7 mtn calipers. I plan on doing a little part swapping in the near future, but overall... it rides great!

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I had a VERY similar set up for a long time... road bars on a mtb, Tektro's, mtn BB7's, trigger shifter, matte black everything.... I definitely approve :lol:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Nicely done.

Jenson has the levers for ~$25, half the price of the identical Cane Creek model.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bumping this old thread because it helped me immensely in adapting my SRAM shifters to my cross bike/commuter. So thank you OP for your post (if you still post here!) and using enough key words that this popped up in google.

I used a 28.6 mm seat post clamp and a 31.8 mm seat post clamp. I used some gorilla tape for the 28.6 to aid with the clamping, and the 31.8 is on some old aero bar spacers/adapters that I had laying around. Using the spacers is/was much nicer than tape. I have some more so if I find myself with another 31.8 clamp I will probably switch it out.

Here are the pics

Attachments

·
Hikers=SHlT
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet! Glad it worked out for you! :)

I was just checking an old email address and there was an email about this thread.

Bumping this old thread because it helped me immensely in adapting my SRAM shifters to my cross bike/commuter. So thank you OP for your post (if you still post here!) and using enough key words that this popped up in google.

I used a 28.6 mm seat post clamp and a 31.8 mm seat post clamp. I used some gorilla tape for the 28.6 to aid with the clamping, and the 31.8 is on some old aero bar spacers/adapters that I had laying around. Using the spacers is/was much nicer than tape. I have some more so if I find myself with another 31.8 clamp I will probably switch it out.

Here are the pics

1 - 18 of 18 Posts