Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, seems pretty intresting. I got it all installed today and was pretty excited about it. But after all the problems i am very glad I didnt pay $300 it was worth back in 1999. My $28 was worth it though.

Heres a link to the page I made for it. With tons of pics and more. click here

Heres some teaser pics.

·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SpinWheelz said:
You need a wife. Badly.
Huh? Im 17.

Is it worth it for $28? Yes

Is it worth it for $50? Maybe, I wouldnt buy it for that much. But I know others would

Is it worth it for 75? No.

Different, and a weird feeling having suspension in the rear but not the front, I think when I build my new wheel, ill be set to go. Its a lot wider so the brakes will work better.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
On a rigid singlespeed yet! You, my friend, are a genius. I do hope you were going for irony, because man, you nailed it!

If not, hey no offense, ride what makes you happy. You noted on your website that you might remove it and install it on the front. Tell you what, leave it on, buy another one, and put that on the front. You will be a god in my book! :cool: First guy on your block (or the planet) with a Shockster fully!

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
o man!

That is sexy! I especially love how it increases the wheelbase by six inches.

Very cool, though. Keep us posted. ANd post this over in the vintage forum if you have not already.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hey it's good to see a 17 year old tinkering and having fun with bikes, while others at this age are playing with their Xbox.

Post some ride pics when you get a chance.

·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its a SHOCKSTER.
It was made back in the late 90's to bolt onto your hardtail so that you could get in on the full suspension action.
Its got 3.5" of travel that is perpendicular to the ground so it doesnt bob at all. It adds TWO inches to your wheelbase and weighs 3.5 pounds.

I was originally going to try it on my fully, but I have disk brakes, and it wont work.

Apparently they came in Red, "Graphite Gray" and the silver. I kinda wish I got the Graphite grey one. But hell, I think im alright.

It is definatly a weird ride have suspension in the rear but not the front. One thing that I didnt post on the site, is that the shockster only seems to work while sitting down.

If your standing (very common on a SS) it doesnt seem to do much.

See, the reason im so into bikes is that I was always told "If you want it buy it yourself" So untill last year I never had a very good job. So this year I have been making up for it.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Looks ...

summitlt said:
Huh? Im 17.

Is it worth it for $28? Yes

Is it worth it for $50? Maybe, I wouldnt buy it for that much. But I know others would

Is it worth it for 75? No.

Different, and a weird feeling having suspension in the rear but not the front, I think when I build my new wheel, ill be set to go. Its a lot wider so the brakes will work better.
heavy and not very functional. How can it absorb much when the rear end is rigid? Looks like a waste of $28 to me.

·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fred3 said:
heavy and not very functional. How can it absorb much when the rear end is rigid? Looks like a waste of $28 to me.
The rear isnt rigid, thats the whole point.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I'm looking at a picture of your bike and the seat/chain stays are welded to your seat tube. That means the rear triangle is fixed in place. How is the rear end not rigid? So that is my point.

·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fred3 said:
I'm looking at a picture of your bike and the seat/chain stays are welded to your seat tube. That means the rear triangle is fixed in place. How is the rear end not rigid? So that is my point.
Uh... The bike IS a rigid, BUT the shocksters purpose is to add suspension to a regular bike. Hence the reason for adding the shock, springs and "swingarm"

Look at the shockster, its not there for looks. :confused:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.