Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new 66 SL (2006) on my 05 Enduro Expert yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! It blows away the 36R that came with the bike in every way. It looks massive and is amazingly stiff and the flat black with chrome is just hot. And the performance is just on a hole different level. It has some stiction, but that is to be expected, and I expect it to get more buttery with every ride. The adjustments are amazing, you can have it do just about anything you want. I made a few short fast downhill runs with it before dark, and the bike is just plain unbelievable with this fork. It stays planted and soaks up everything, it seems like you arms don't even have to do anything other than point it in the right direction, what a feeling. Right now all I can say is wow. I now understand what all the hype is about. I'll try and get some pics up of the setup soon.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Man, if you think it feels good now, wait until you get it broken in and get all the fine points tuned in to your exact preference. Yeah, if you're coming from a Talas 36 (OEM on that bike?), you'll most probably be very impressed. I love the Van 36, but the Talas model (at least the '06) never impressed me.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Glad to hear it!! I got mine last week and I am pretty sure that mine has twisted lowers. :madmax: The axle takes a small amount of force to get it through both dropouts with the pinch bolts loosened. I have noticed that when I push the axle through the left dropout it is about 2mm or so off of the right dropout which requires that I (slightly) have to guide the axle into it. This is where I need to apply a small amt. or force to the axle to get it throught both DOs.

This thread shows a picture that mirrors what mine looks like. The pictures by Bikezilla are the ones that show what mine looks like. Those of you who have experienced the twisted lowers deal, is this what Im experiencing?

Sorry to hijack your thread!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
be350ka,
Sounds like they are twisted, but the real test is how it rides. From what I hear, if it rides fine, don't sweat it, if it rides like crap, then talk to zoke.

Pics,

36 Talas R (stock) vs. 66 SL

A little inspiration for those tough trails

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Lookin good, Pal.:thumbsup: I seem to recall that there were a lot of guys that still rode them even when they were a little twisted up. The thing is, I have a backup fork that I can use in the meantime. So, I may just send it out now so that I dont have to worry about it later. I would be interested to see what MK_ and TNC have to say about this situation.

Are you running your fork wide open (170mm)? If so, how do you like the new angles? Mine will be put on a 5-Pack and I will be interested to see how I like the longer travel settings.

Keep me informed as to how things are going.......... and SWEET ride by the way.:eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a spair, and dont mind giving the guys and zoke a call, go for it. I honestly dont know if mine has a slight twist, as my shop put it on after they ordered it for me. I bought it intending to run it at 155mm or so most of the time, but 170mm is just too sweet.
Not the best for climbing, the head angle is at a hair under 68 degrees , but the descents are so amazing it doesnt really bother me. I think ill run 170mm more often than I reduce the travel. It will be nice if I know I have a day of climbing and lighter XC type riding to be able to drop it down and get a more responsive head angle, but I really almost dont notice the difference. I have it setup really plush right now so with the sag the angle is even closer to what I had with the 36. I find it matches the enduro better. The rear end on these bikes feel like alot more than 6 inches, and the 170mm seems to give it a more ballanced feel, before it felt like the front was way less plush than the rear. I have used about 6 full inches of travel and havent hit anything too huge so im expecting to get the extra few mm on big hits. Over all I cannot get over how sick this thing is. And for an air fork its is super liner with no par pressure too which makes it feel like its coil packin brothers. I am just so stoked with it right now.

Thanks for the compliments on the bike. I just bought it a few months ago, and my next upgrades are an 8in rear rotor, and a shorter stem for DH/FR. This is my only bike, and to be able to run the lift acces trails not too far behind the Demo's is going to be sick, and its still light enough (35.6lbs right now) to be set up for fun XC or average trail riding, and it still climbs like a goat, what more can you ask for?

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
MaxxChris said:
If you have a spair, and dont mind giving the guys and zoke a call, go for it. I honestly dont know if mine has a slight twist, as my shop put it on after they ordered it for me. I bought it intending to run it at 155mm or so most of the time, but 170mm is just too sweet.
Not the best for climbing, the head angle is at a hair under 68 degrees , but the descents are so amazing it doesnt really bother me. I think ill run 170mm more often than I reduce the travel. It will be nice if I know I have a day of climbing and lighter XC type riding to be able to drop it down and get a more responsive head angle, but I really almost dont notice the difference. I have it setup really plush right now so with the sag the angle is even closer to what I had with the 36. I find it matches the enduro better. The rear end on these bikes feel like alot more than 6 inches, and the 170mm seems to give it a more ballanced feel, before it felt like the front was way less plush than the rear. I have used about 6 full inches of travel and havent hit anything too huge so im expecting to get the extra few mm on big hits. Over all I cannot get over how sick this thing is. And for an air fork its is super liner with no par pressure too which makes it feel like its coil packin brothers. I am just so stoked with it right now.

Thanks for the compliments on the bike. I just bought it a few months ago, and my next upgrades are an 8in rear rotor, and a shorter stem for DH/FR. This is my only bike, and to be able to run the lift acces trails not too far behind the Demo's is going to be sick, and its still light enough (35.6lbs right now) to be set up for fun XC or average trail riding, and it still climbs like a goat, what more can you ask for?
All good to hear! I agree with you 100% when you say that the sag will help get the HA to a degree that you like and still be able to utilize the full 170mm on bigger hits. This same thought has crossed my mind.:thumbsup:

I hear you when you say that it is nice to have ONE bike that is very versatile and can be a dual use machine. I am doing the same thing with my Pack.

If you could do me a favor, could you take off your front wheel and loosen up the pinch bolts and see how well your axle mates with both dropouts? Like I said, mine is not just a slip in one and then the other, but it takes a LITTLE effort to get it into the opposing dropout. Its not like I have to push it hard, but it is nowhere as smooth as the other thru axles that I have used. I would just like to see how yours is in comparison to mine.

Thanks

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Neither of the two lowers I have run on my 66SL (swapped lowers with another Turner owner for fashion's sake) had any axle misalignment, yet both forks exhibited some degree of stiction. It was noticeable on the first few compressions of the ride, but as oil started to move the feeling went away.

At speed and on bigger hits, no fork can touch these things.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
be350ka,
Good news and bad news for you. First the good, my axel is dead nuts, lines up perfect (just like everything else about the fork). Bad news for you though. Let me know how your situation works out for you

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Thanks. I will post what they tell me when I call them on Monday.

This is the last thing that I needed right now. First, problems with the Lyrik(s) and now this with the 66.:rolleyes:

Good thing I bought a Nixon to run as my spare. I have spent more time on the spare in the past 3 months than anything else.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, I am sorry to hear that. I am stoked that mine is good though, and that any stiction I have now will disappear after break in and an oil change. It will be worth it though to get it taken care of. One the bright side its better a problem with something small like that than with on going air seal issues or something else that might continue to reoccur, it only takes one guy to produce a bad batch of lowers so dont get two disapointed yet.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
MaxxChris said:
so dont get two disapointed yet.
Never. But like I said, my luck with forks lately has been TERRIBLE. Lets put it this way, 5 forks in 4 months.:eekster: No kidding!!! So, all I wanted here was a working fork out of the box and what did I get..... Well Im lucky to have a decent spare so Ive got that going for me.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
tscheezy...you may have found a competitor in "be350ka" in what was normally a no-contest for the "curse of tscheezy" as it applies to problems with brand new bike components...LOL!

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
TNC said:
tscheezy...you may have found a competitor in "be350ka" in what was normally a no-contest for the "curse of tscheezy" as it applies to problems with brand new bike components...LOL!
OUCH!!! That is not what I want to be known for.;)

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
TNC said:
be350ka said:
OUCH!!! That is not what I want to be known for.;)
And apparently this "disease" is contagious, because there was nothing wrong with my Zoke until be350ka started having trouble with his. ;)

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
PCinSC said:
And apparently this "disease" is contagious, because there was nothing wrong with my Zoke until be350ka started having trouble with his. ;)
You better watch out buddy. I was in your house so there is probably mold in the walls now. I touched your frame so look for cracks. I sat on your couch so look for stains. Oh, and you will probably need to reseal your driveway since I parked my car there.;) :D

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Twisted? Is there an accurate way to tell if it is? I assume you guyz are talking about the legs aligning up with the axle properly?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.