Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a Schwinn Meridian 26 that I converted to electric a few months ago. I am having a hell of a problem trying to get the front wheel brakes to fit right on both sides of the rim. The tire with the conversion kit is the same size as the original. It worked fine BEFORE the conversion. I can get one side to contact the rim but the other is too high and contacts the tire. I cannot lower the pad any more. Is there a longer brake arm that I can use? Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
11,822 Posts
I ride a Schwinn Meridian 26 that I converted to electric a few months ago. I am having a hell of a problem trying to get the front wheel brakes to fit right on both sides of the rim. The tire with the conversion kit is the same size as the original. It worked fine BEFORE the conversion. I can get one side to contact the rim but the other is too high and contacts the tire. I cannot lower the pad any more. Is there a longer brake arm that I can use? Thanks for any help.
sounds like your rim is not dished correctly, offset to one side. I would get that correct otherwise your bike will ride wonky. In a front fork the rim wall should be equal distance from the fork legs. If it isn't your dish is off. Alternately if could not be seated correctly in the dropouts, check that first. Either way off center front wheel will make your bike steer wrong or incorrectly and be dangerous.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Did you change wheelset for the conversion? If so, it could be due to the rim width that affects the effective width of the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Another consideration is that the V-brakes may not provide enough stopping power with the added weight of the electric conversion. Something to think about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.