Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi searched online by cannot find a sing thing.
I need to install a new longer hose on my avid elixir 7 brake but for the life of me I can't see how to disconnect the hose from the caliper?? The silver bolt doesn't want to untighten, and judging by the new hose that's where it needs to connect.

Any advice would be most awesome.
Cable Wire Machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
the 90 degree black piece comes off like this:

Product White Machine Plumbing fixture Household hardware

and not featured in the 7 manual, but from the 5 manual, the hose /should/ remove from the 90 degree piece like this:

Line Black Grey Plumbing fixture Composite material

edit: from the 5 manual, this shows the compression fitting (a.k.a. hose) once removed from the caliper body:

Product White Line Monochrome Monochrome photography

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the black piece need to come off first? I tried the second step to no avail BUT the black piece was still attached to the caliper. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
369 Posts
You don't have to take it off, the downside is that you'll definitely get air in there and need to bleed. The upside is that you can be more careful to not tweak the interfacial area and be nice to the O-ring if a lot of torque is needed to un-mate the fitting from the black piece. If they are *really* stuck you could add slight heat and hope the steel expands at a different rate than the aluminum while being careful to not melt the O-ring. If heat is added, separating from the caliper might make the process more controlled... If that doesn't work you can freeze the parts and try again ;)

Edit: if all that fails, I wonder how fast you could get a replacement black piece...
Aluminum expands more than steel for the same temperature change so if you heat with a torch, apply the heat to the aluminum piece (if the hose fitting is steel, not sure??) Even if the fitting is aluminum, you still want to heat the black piece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Brockwan,Im having same problems with my 7's.did you buy the avid hose or a 3rd party hose?I went for the Superstar one but didnt realise i need an adaptor to connect to the caliper when loosing the crimped section,unlike shimano you just Re-use the compression nuts and use olives and barbs,

Cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi searched online by cannot find a sing thing.
I need to install a new longer hose on my avid elixir 7 brake but for the life of me I can't see how to disconnect the hose from the caliper?? The silver bolt doesn't want to untighten, and judging by the new hose that's where it needs to connect.

Any advice would be most awesome.
View attachment 888510

you shouldnt try to open them because the brake liquids might slipt or you might cant close them. Better get it to a bike shop so if he does anything wrong he will have the responsibility;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.