Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Controlled Crash
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new mtb. I have narrowed it down to a Yeti SB100 or a Ripley, both with the 1x12 XT build.

About me: I am 5'8" and 150lbs. I have ridden XC for many years, raced road and timetrials and now race gravel. I have moved to Pisgah Forest and want to get better at riding the more technical terrain but I still want to hammer the climbs. My current bike is a Tallboy-1 in medium. It fits great.

I am not able to demo either bike but I have parking lot ridden the Ripley in Med & Lg and a SB130 in Lg. The med Ripley as well as the Stumpy ST both felt very short. The large Ripley and large SB130 felt better but again, only for a couple of minutes in a parking lot.

Which of the 2 bikes will be better for going fast uphill and then tackling the technical downhills as well as longer 4-5+ hour rides?

And, what sizes are you riding and suggest for me?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
5'9" average proportions here and test rode the new Ripley in M and L. M was a pretty short reach for me, so I'd go with a large. I have TB3 in medium and the Ripley M is shorter mainly due to its steeper seat tube angle. Not a fan of the Yetis so haven't really looked at them.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I'm 5'7"+ and had a Medium Yeti SB100 and have a Medium Ripley. They both have a longer top tube than your Tallboy, but I'm sure the 50mm stems on those are much shorter than your Tallboy. You could try a 60-65mm stem on the Ripley but I would think a large would be too big. It's a pretty long bike wheelbase-wise. The fact that I had my SB100 for about a month or so and still have and love the Ripley is all I need to say as to which I prefer.

·
Controlled Crash
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, my TB stem is 100-110mm. But I dont think that will work very well on either of these bikes.

What do you like/dislike between the SB100 and Ripley? Why did you choose the Ripley?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Ripley Medium: Top tube is 23.8", wheelbase is 46.38"
Ripley Large: Top tube is 24.9", WB is 47.52"
Tallboy 1 Medium: Top tube is 23", WB is 42.6"

I can't really see how your Medium TB is longer than a Large Ripley, unless you ran a 120mm stem or something. If you go from a 42.6" WB to a 47.52" WB, well, have fun with that...IOW, I'd highly recommend a Medium unless you KNOW you want a bigger bike than what you have.

·
Controlled Crash
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't know what to tell you. I didnt measure but it definitely felt shorter. Maybe his saddle setback? Maybe bar height? I even propped my bike up next to both the large Ripley and large SB130 and my TB saddle to bars is longer. That is why I posted here

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's the steeper STA moving the seat forward/centered. Top tube measurement is kind of useless. Funny story but I sat on my buddies XL Pole with 530mm+ reach. Didn't actually feel that big because of the super steep actual seat tube angle.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The top tube measurement takes the STA into account. It's taken from the middle of the seat tube to the middle of the head tube on a horizontal plane. "Reach" is measured from the BB to the head tube on a horizontal plane so a bike with a long reach can still have a short top tube.

·
Controlled Crash
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reach & ETT seem to have become useless without a way to take STA and HTA into account. I dont have anywhere near the math skills to do that. That is why I posted in the hopes of getting actual feedback, Like the replies above.

I am also hoping for real ride characteristics like climbing smooth and technical and steep. And descending the same. As well as tight switchbacks and so on.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Yep, my TB stem is 100-110mm. But I dont think that will work very well on either of these bikes.

What do you like/dislike between the SB100 and Ripley? Why did you choose the Ripley?
Wow that is a long stem for even a TBv1. I had a TBCv1 and only ran a 60-70mm stem.

I can't imagine you on a large. I'm 5'11' and had a large V4 Ripley.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The thing is everything has changed since your tallboy so there is no 1:1 comparison. Forget everything you know about sizing, look at the recommended sizing chart on the companies website and spend some time demo'ing the new geo based off their recommendation. Don't try and size a new modern geo bike to your tallboy. I did something similar when I got back into the sport after 8 years and ended up doing funky things like putting way too long of a stem, pushing the seat way too far back before realizing I simply bought the wrong size and was trying to make it feel like my bike from 10 years ago fit. Also be careful because some shops will sell you their bread and butter size (for example trek and their 18.5") simply because they have it in stock.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The thing is everything has changed since your tallboy so there is no 1:1 comparison. Forget everything you know about sizing, look at the recommended sizing chart on the companies website and spend some time demo'ing the new geo based off their recommendation. Don't try and size a new modern geo bike to your tallboy. I did something similar when I got back into the sport after 8 years and ended up doing funky things like putting way too long of a stem, pushing the seat way too far back before realizing I simply bought the wrong size and was trying to make it feel like my bike from 10 years ago fit. Also be careful because some shops will sell you their bread and butter size (for example trek and their 18.5") simply because they have it in stock.
REALLY good info for OP.

·
Controlled Crash
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No ability to demo either bike.

Not trying to duplicate the TB but more the XC position. The mediums had me sitting upright with a rounded back, not comfi for me.

I hear ya about the shops. I have two shops within reasonable distance from me. One is adamant about me needing a large and the other shop says medium. Not sure about any funny business as both shops would have to order me the XT build bike.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

No, that stem length is now considered outdated. I would strongly suggest going with Ibis' recommendations on sizing.

The Yeti was very efficient, but almost kind of harsh in the rear IMO. The Ripley is more plush, more capable downhill, and maybe just a smidge less of a pedaler. But just a more fun overall ride. And to put it bluntly, Yeti completely dropped a giant turd when they designed the new SI link for the SB100. Version 1 creaked like crazy, updated version flexes like a noodle and the bolts won't stay in place. Just Google SB100 Switch Infinity
issues, I don't have enough stamina in my fingers to go into all the details.

·
Controlled Crash
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I have read the issues but people still seem to love it. As they do the Ripley.

Referring back to, I think one of your an earlier posts, I am worried on getting a bike too big and am having a difficult time wrapping my head around the large but the position felt better. At least for parking lot soft pedaling. So I appreciate the feedback because I am going to spend a few bucks without a real test ride.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Sorry, I don't know what you're trying to say here. What same place?
I think he is trying to say bar to saddle, for a given TTL a slacker STA tends to move the seat away from the bars as you raise the saddle. That effect is greatly reduced with the new steep STA.

So for the OP combine a 120mm stem with the slack STA angle and I could see where he feels like it's smaller.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.