Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to find new 5 arm compact cranks here in the states. Any input much valued on the Euro options: Middleburn, Blackspire & ect.

Looking for heavy xc/ all mountain level cranks.

Thanks!

29erchico

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Are those Euro brands? Didn't know. I just don'tmy cranks.
I stocked up on black compact RaceFace Turbine LP 180mm's.

Don't some cranks take spiders that Shimano offers? I dunno really...

What I do know, there'now also some 30t 4-arm middle rings, hardly worse than the minimum 29t on compact. Perhaps 4-arm is not so bad after all?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Only know Middleburn by reputation, which is very good. As the spider is a seperate splined unit you can change it to four arm, five or use their duo or uno systems. These folks stock them and their service is excellent. I don't know if they ship to the US but I think they do to Europe so it might be worth giving them a try.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Modern cranks?

If I could run 20-30-42 rings on a modern 4 arm crankset it would really be nice. If anyone has a source where I can get this setup please let me know.

29erchico

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Last time I checked, Extralight was doing some. They do low toothcounts for 2x9 setups on lightweight 26" bikes. Boone will probably make you some as well. slightly more expensive, way more durable.

I have a bunch of 29t 5/94 TA rings (~20g!!) which are perfect for mimicing that 32t middle rings on 26"ers. But the time I mounted 22/30/42 as I had those rings handy, is was just fine really. A 20t granny would make it perfect for the high alpines.

Don't try small chainrings on pre-'05 Fisher hardtails though. You'll be forced to run the FD way up high, otherwise it'll bottom on the chainstay before reaching the granny. I may one day modify an FD cage for this, it's a pain.

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
dRjOn said:
anyone fouind the 5 arm hold the ring more secure, more central and with less ovalisation of bolt holes?
I agree and posted this on the singlespeed forum a few days ago...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=97504

There is an argument 5-arm spiders are more reliable. Should you lose a bolt on a 4-arm spider , only 50% of the ring is supported.. easier to bend/fold the ring. Loosening/losing chainring bolts isn't uncommon - check them regularly.

·
curds and gravy fool
66 Posts
Middleburn RS7

I've got a pair that I ordered here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=3342

No trouble at all shipping to US. Subtract 17% VAT from price, and then pretty much add it back in for shipping. Order came in less than a week to the east coast.

I love the cranks- beautifully made. They get a lot of abuse on my singlespeed with no complaints. I use the 5 arm compact spider, even though Middleburn offers a spiderless singlespeed chainring. I bought the ISIS model, but if I had to do it again, I'd go with square taper, and a nice Phil Wood bottom bracket.

Cheers.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Like vingt-cent said, 20t 64mm ti are available

Try paragon or boone. The paragon one is a deal with the MTB hall of fame, boone you just order direct from boone. Both have 20 tooth 64mm bcd rings.
-Sean

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have 2 pairs of Middleburn cranks: old RS1 cranks in my single speed and RS7 cranks in my FS. Are really beautifully made and work just fine, my RS1 pair is about 10 years old and had received a lot but still going on strong..

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's good to her about all the 20t rings, but what I really need is a 30t middle. I checked out the extralite, however it says you can only run it with a 2x9 setup. I on the other hand what to run it with a triple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.