Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody.

Anybody have one or input on the Magura forks? I'm looking at a Asgaard for cheap(still in the box.) I'm a Clyde and want a stiff fork (Which the Magura's seem to have). My concern is going with a air fork (My weight is around 300lbs Height 6'3') Which magura said shouldn't be a problem.
i have been looking at the REBA shock because of the 32MM tubes but the magura seems to compare for less money and they seem pretty cool.
also, the magura's certifiy thier forks with a 12mm axel for up to a 8" rotor. Which Marz or Rockshox won't do.
Thanks.......

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hi,
Magura forks are quite nice, very good finish, need not much maintenance.
Stiff.

Their damping is a bit slow. They put quite thick oil in their forks. But, regarding the fact, that you will run the fork with a bit more air pressure, that should be fine.
So get it, if it´s a good deal.

Greetings from Germany,
btw. I do NOT belong to the Magura company and I do not own a Magura fork. But over here in Germany there are quite a few people running those forks.

I love my Marzocchi and like my Pike.
So greetings
Znarf

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I own a Magura Phaon... I just don't have as of yet.

All reviews I've read pont out the same thing Znarf just told.

One review I have from someone who used the Asgard is that it's similar to a Zoke MX but with much nicer damping, even if it's the same kind of damper used.

Seals are very tight and take a long time to break in and they lose a bit in the plushness territory but are very stiff.

Kind of very high quality underrated forks. Just put air in, keep the stanchions clean, look under the wipers every now and then and service the fork yearly. Instructions for the Asgard are quite clear and seem very straight forwards.

Get one. Magura quality is top-notch and customer service (if you ever need it) it's a benchmark of the industry.

I'm positive you saw those Magura Asgard 100 and 80 on ebay (can't remember the store, though) and it's a very nice deal.

I wanted a bit more and got a Phaon direct from Magura. Nicer damping and adjustable travel, compression ans rebound. Think of it (in Tigerdog's words) as a Vanilla RC with U-turn. As soon as I get it and spend some time on it, I'll post a review.

I'd say give it a go. The price is rigth and at the same quality/value of a Zoke MX Pro, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Warp. SHHH. Don't tell anybody where they are!!!! :D :D
i got the O.K. (sorta) from the wife.
I'm calling the bank and make sure there is enough in the checking and let her rip......

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
I've got a 80mm Ronin on my Blizzard hardtail, it's just getting broken in with about 25-30 hours of riding. I'm about 200 pounds and it feels as solid as my Fox Float on my other hardtail.

It's a bit fussy to setup as you have to cycle the fork through it's travel a bunch of times while pumping it up to make sure the negative air chamber is filled properly. It seems to hold air well, and it has a huge range of rebound damping clicks on the knob. The knob actually seem to do something. The high/low speed compression damping really does work. The manual is not the most clearly written item to follow. It likely makes more sense in German.

The Ronin only cost $600 CDN which is 2/3 of the cost of a Fox F80RLT

http://www.hadesbikes.com/magura_ronin.shtml

I've been considering a Vidar for my Kona Unit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. i went ahead and bought the asgard. If you are really considering the vidar.There is a store on Ebay selling them dirt cheap (that's where I bought my asgard) and I think he ships to Canada.

I'm either going to be really ahead of the curve with everybody with the fork or we will find out the hard way!

Either way, i'll be the coolest guy on the trails with the only Magura fork!!!!!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tonyl11 said:
Got it!
Looks very cool and feels very stiff. Going to try and get it on next week. Don't know when I'll get to ride. There is too much snow....
Your post is worthless without pics.... :D :D

Congratulations!!

Here's a copy-paste from a buddy who rode one....

"In the past I've tested a Magura Asgard, air/oil.

It had a very simplistic damping, say like a ssv fork...but it worked much better! Very plush! I'd recommend it!
Never tried the Phaon, but below you'll find a cut'n'paste of a reply from a friend of mine. He's satisfied, his fork took some break-in, while the Asgard did not...

Overall, I'd go for it!"

It will not let you down!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll get some pics over the weekend.. :rolleyes:

Warp, does your fork have the integrated disc guide? I didn't get anything in the box and i can't see where it would go on the fork anyway?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tonyl11 said:
I'll get some pics over the weekend.. :rolleyes:

Warp, does your fork have the integrated disc guide? I didn't get anything in the box and i can't see where it would go on the fork anyway?
No, mine didn't. I guess our year's forks have not the mounting for the hose guide. It's a 3mm bolt. The firmtech mounts are way bigger than that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts