Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm riding only 1 MB which is a beefy trailbike, an FXR. I really like the ride but I've been jonesing for a CC bike so I ordered a Turner Burner(got it for $650!) and I'm really excited about that but my dilema is what to do with my FXR. I will be using most of the components off the FXR for the Burner. I want a full squish bike to go with the CC bike so my options are to either:

A) Rebuild the FXR with a 6" fork like a Zoke and some beefy wheels/components and probably spend another $1200 or so. This would give me a fairly lightweight and great pedaling big squish machine.

B) Sell the frame/fork and few other bits and use the $ to buy an '04 Kona Stinky w/6" of travel. This way I wouldn't spend anymore $ and I would have a complete bike, BUT, it will be heavier and probably not pedal as well.

I will be using the big squish bike for technical Palmer riding and shuttle rides in the canyon, and I want to check out Keystone also. So what do ya think? BTW, either way I will be selling/trade an '04 Vanilla RLC cause the steerer(8") is too short for the Burner so if anyone is interested. -Rick

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right path. At least you know that you want a big squish for DH/FR and a more efficient machine (Turner Burner) for everything else.

As far as option A or B is concerned...I'm not too familiar with what exactly an FXR is. If you think that it would make a great big hit machine, then build it up that way. If not, then I would look for something else. Sounds like you've already got your eye on a Kona Stinky. Which I hear work pretty darn well.

If it comes down to money, remember that you'll very rarely get what you're asking for on used bike equipment, unless it's already super cheap. If you build up the FXR, at least you will be able to buy all the components that YOU like and know will work. This is opposed to buying a complete bike that has Shimano Deore or some other psuedo crappy component that you just can't fully trust, and will be replacing anyway. Know what I mean?

Well that's my two cents! Hope it helps!

·
Registered
162 Posts
you mean a foes fxr. do you have a curnutt shock on the rear? i would definately keep the fxr if you have a curnutt and put a marzochi 66 or fox 36 on it with some good wheels and tires that bike would kick @$$.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fly Rider said:
you mean a foes fxr. do you have a curnutt shock on the rear? i would definately keep the fxr if you have a curnutt and put a marzochi 66 or fox 36 on it with some good wheels and tires that bike would kick @$$.
Yeah, a Foes FXR and yes it's got the Curnutt, I will have to buy another spring to run it in the 6" mode but thats no biggy, I'm thinking a Z150 w/20mm axle for the front.

SilentK- I could get the Kona with some pretty decent components for the same $ I would get for the FXR/Vanilla fork-probably around $1500-1600. My concern is that the Kona is too much bike for my needs.

Thanks for your comments guys, please keep them coming.

·
Registered
162 Posts
the fxr curnutt with 6" will blow away any kona. ask watson if he thinks he would have stuck the tour de france jump if he'd been on his fly. the reason i suggest the longer travel fork would be to give you a slacker head angle. if you're looking for more of a big hit ride, this will make the bike feel much more stable at speed and on steep stuff. last summer the shop i worked at (the bicycle werx r.i.p.) had an fxr with a fox vanilla up front, xtr parts and an xc stem and tires. i put on a 30mm stem and some proper maxxis tires and it was a much improved ride. the only thing i would have changed would have been a six inch fork with a 20mm axle and a double with a bash gaurd instead of the triple.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so the consensus from you guys and my riding buddies is to keep the FXR, my financial advisor(wifey) won't agree cause I will have to spend more $ to rebuild it, but oh well. I think I have a cool Zoke fork lined up but does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap build kit thats FR oriented and has the usual stuff like a 20mm front wheel and double w/bashguard, I need pretty much everything except a BB. Thanks!

·
eci
2,712 Posts
rroeder said:
Ok, so the consensus from you guys and my riding buddies is to keep the FXR, my financial advisor(wifey) won't agree cause I will have to spend more $ to rebuild it, but oh well. I think I have a cool Zoke fork lined up but does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap build kit thats FR oriented and has the usual stuff like a 20mm front wheel and double w/bashguard, I need pretty much everything except a BB. Thanks!
call cactus bike. they are awesome to deal with and they were running a deal a lil while back for 225 you get an azonic outlaw wheelset, light and dhable. 20mm/qr front and 12mm/qr rear. I've got some parts you can have cheap, hbar, stem, fder shifters. What BB ya got?

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
snowskilz said:
call cactus bike. they are awesome to deal with and they were running a deal a lil while back for 225 you get an azonic outlaw wheelset, light and dhable. 20mm/qr front and 12mm/qr rear. I've got some parts you can have cheap, hbar, stem, fder shifters. What BB ya got?
Thanks man, where's cactus bikes? It's an XT BB/octalink, I have an old XTR crankset I could use but I would have to buy a spider/rings and bashguard for it. I was thinking a complete build kit is the cheapest way to go but piecing it out is fine if I can find cheap stuff.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
rroeder said:
Thanks man, where's cactus bikes? It's an XT BB/octalink, I have an old XTR crankset I could use but I would have to buy a spider/rings and bashguard for it. I was thinking a complete build kit is the cheapest way to go but piecing it out is fine if I can find cheap stuff.
Their in arizona, its the shop i bought my mono off of. Mike there is a really cool guy and has helped out many on the forums.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
crank options

rroeder said:
Not a lot of options for cranksets w/ bashguards that are octalink compatible. Hmm, maybe no options (blackspire, but the ones I've seen are crankarms only) ... Look around, you can find good deals on new RF Evolve DH, altho you'll end up w/ a lot lighter crankset if you get something xc-ish and add a bashguard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.