Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
The Ranger for Rockhill Park in the city of Fairfield is requesting info on what she can do to make the park more enjoyable for your type of riding. It is rare that any division of government asks for input to make things better for you, so this is pretty amazing. The rangers name is Teri Luchini and she is a biker as well, so she is on our side. Personally I'm not a DH'er, so the ball is now in your court. Her number is: 707-428-7614.

Cheers,
Chip

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Amazing!

Thanks for the info... I never would have thought something like this would happen around here. What type of stuff is she considering?
Anyway, do you have an email address for her? I would be willing to contact her by e-mail or by phone to get it going. I will X-Post this to the Norcal Forum and also a few on Ridemonkey.
It would be so cool if we could get some sort of freeride or downhill riding going around here.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
It's cool SMT. Hopefully something happens with it.

I X-posted this to MSDHW, Ridemonkey (Norcal Forum), and that's about it... Just trying to spread the word.

If anyone has anywhere they think would be good to post about it do so, this would be so cool if it happened.
-Matt

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Just talked with her on the phone. Tell everyone in the Nor-Cal area.

Thanks for her email address gacck.

Seems like something may actually be done. She said that it's obvious there is a group of DH or FR people who need something to ride as the trails they have available aren't design for such use.

She said she isn't sure of all the guidelines or regulations, but that they have a $30,000 grant and she would/could use part of that towards this project.

Basically it is in the idea stage, she is looking for people to get in touch (she needs a lot of people behind her) but she wants people to call in, leave their name and number, etc and hopefully we can get together a forum and talk it over. Share ideas and solutions.

Anyway, my suggestion is to call her even if you are far away, just get your name out there so we can have this meeting. Sounds like something could happen if we can round up enough support.
Spread the word. W3RD.

-Matt

·
Registered
3,473 Posts

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
You guys should get the ranger in contact with IMBA. Down here in central florida we are just beginning a build project for a freeride trail/dirt jumps/skills park at a popular trailsystem that used to be filled with illegally(sp??) built stunts.

Apparently the land mangers (Office of Greenways and Trails) had some money and wanted to do something about the non-sanctioned building and also to "minimize the risk" of already built stuff. I'm sure if the Ranger is thinking about using state or federal money on building stuff the issue safety and insurance will come up.

The build proposal from IMBA can be seen in a thread in the southeast forum.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=129060

Building started this week with heavy equipment :D :D :D

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Here what Rockvile is like...It is a small hill which i estimate has about 200 to 400 elevation change...You wouldn't need a burly DH bike but more of a pedaling free ride bike. Mostly you ride XC in loops that switch back and forth through the park. The terrain has some nice rocks to drop off and some nice rockgardens (use to be by the fence east side), some nice steep stuff.....with the right work this could be an excellent location for more DH oriented stuff, but the trails would be over in 2 minutes easily top to bottom if you were railing it.

With the right work you could snake a trail back and forth and make something real nice.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Awesome!

Rockville has tons of potential. It's super fun for all types of bikes and if some serious big bike stuff was developed, it would be even better. My guess is they're trying to nip illicit building in bud. That's fine with me. Work with us to make better freeride stuff and we'll work with the authorities keep bikes on the trails.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Awesome!

It's about time! This and combined with a possible "freeride" park in Pacifica, there is hope for the SF Bay Area!

A couple dedicated one-way DH trails would be nice. Maybe some mild NS ladders, planks, etc. Work with IMBA for some organized trail days.

It's encouraging that they (park system) is being proactive and offering MTB advice first before simply banning any building. Other SF area counties/cites should take note.

Should include norcalfreeride.com and ridesfo.com in the loop...

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Imba

I agree that IMBA should be in on this.

I hadn't heard about a freeride park in Pacifica. Matt at Gearhead is working on getting a covered jump park built, though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.